What Do .net Do Differently?

Just looked on SS.net for i think the second time ever and noticed that they have 18 people attending the next Glasgow meet on 8th August !!! 18 ! thats like back in the day on SIDC when we used to meet at hillington then go for a slow drive somewhere.

Why are they attracting larger numbers?

Why do they seem to have no issues getting things off the ground?

Whats the average age of their members?

Does it matter?

Im curious why they seem to have such a bigger following and certainly, without doubt much much more activity on a daily basis on their forum?

Look on general and see how many threads and posts are even created in one day ! its huge !

Keen to see SIDC flourish and just interested to know if we havent moved with the times somehow

Gumballocks

what you need is a hacker to invade the other one making this the only site to go on.

My idea is - dancing shaved goats bouncing about the screen and thats all they can see. well other than winston of course

SIDC is viewed by them as 'the older type' of owner. I'm old so I'm here.

They don't do so much on the driving side and there have been several attempts to unite for events or track days but these were shunned by various folk for various reasons.

The state of our economy has hit the type of folk who made SIDC meets large and successful - I for one cannot be ar$sed going to a car park, rubbing other folks exhausts and talking sh!te - I want to drive my car - simples! :Scottish-flag:

Maybe its cause just about fck all goes on? The place is now a room full of viewers that either cant be arsed posting or are too scared to post or are already friends with the members they know on facebook.

The age thing is also a factor, there are less young newbs on here that are keen to ask questions, .net is full of them.

I'm not saying the above is a good or bad thing but that is my opinion.

In not old either.

many view .net as a bunch of neds, but its not the case. Too many stories of granduer for example, scoobywho has spent £50k on his engine, therefore hes a doughball.

Which basically boils down to pissing contests and the shiniest helmet competition.

People need to understand humility and just go with the flow. Who cares what turbo you have if your arches are rotten through or your limited edition car you've nodded beyond believe.

People need to recognise friendships and get back to the roots of car clubbing. Not who has the most fake stick on bits or most bhp. Cars a car and everyone is at different places in life. Sooner people get that the better. It all goes full circle and we should enjoy the journey.

;)

I never spent 50k on my engine lol, I spent 10k on my classic all in lol, think the hawk has had about 1500 quid spent on it in total,

Im not a ned but I do think there are certain keyboard warriors on here who cant take a joke and make it a sour zone for anyone else by deleting posts and just being a general dobber

I cant get on ss, but yeah i think the sidc is seen to be the domain of old duffers with no sense of humour, and through posting varios advice type questions on here and being met with a wall of silence or only a couple of replies tends to lend to that train of thought. Im not club bashing by any means, however it can come across as being less than friendly.

There was a bit of chat about this on sun aswell, and most peoples thoughts were, why cant we just get along, at the end of the day the number of people into proper cars is falling, due to the cost of running them etc, even the after market is on the decline, you all think how many Alloy wheels shops there used to be, even car audio retailers, etc etc.

I joined SIDC after seeing your stand and the convoy at wings and wheels about 3yrs ago and thought wow, when i get my impreza thats who i want to be apart of.

We need to get all regions involved, ive been to a few meets now and its the same faces all the time, a handfull of glasgow/ lanarkshire and cathy, whats wrong with the other regions.

Ultimatly we the members are in charge of the club and only we as a club can change it.

Being on both sites I would say the difference is sidc is a drivers club not so much how much bhp have you got , .net though seems to be how much bhp you have and not can you drive it ,having said that its a busy site with busy meets with a mixed group of people.As with all sites .net can have its bitching and of late it been quiet bad with a good few leaving . Hopefully sidc can get back to its old days and have me clinging to the back of the "family group" on a run :)

Hopefully sidc can get back to its old days and have me clinging to the back of the "family group" on a run :)

Family groups [sIDC/ScottishScoobies] rather than individual [.net] I dunno just thinking out loud.

Im not old lol

No you just drive like an old fart :smiley-taunt014:

• Upvote 1

Never been to a .net meet so cant comment if im honest. Joined sidc .been here 3 years and met loads of great folk.

Had lots of help and advice and try to give back where i can even if non car related advice/help

the lack of posters / replyers compared to people viewing threads and not saying anything lets it down i think.

they do have a fair bit of meets. And have the numbers. But i onow a few of them have been on our runs and said they prefered them and a few have done some ofnour track days

One thing to remember is that in the days where SIDC in scotland was huge, it was branded as Scottish Scoobies! All the runs we did, the branding we had for the club was all Scottish Scoobies! The .net site came on the scene stating they were a club for scottish scoobies since it was calimed there wasn't anything like it already, which anyone interested in scoobies would easily have come across Scottish Scoobies brand which SIDC built up!..

... Anyway, point is the 'Scottish Scoobies' name alone may well be attracing people. When .net started using it SIDC stopped using it when it was near it's peak!. So the promotion we did on scottish scoobies was infact snapped up by scootish scoobies dot net and we basically let them take it. Because we werent happy with the confusions which there would ultimately be with two clubs promoting the same name. SIDC stepped back from it and have tried on several occasions to connect the tie in relations between the two clubs ever since, not so much as merge them into one, maybe that would happen down the line who knows... But as negotions tended to start off well, .net club always seem to close the doors on the idea. They don't seem to want to be associated with SIDC yet took our Scottish Scoobies brand which SIDC created and built up.

I sigend up on .net when it was first created simply because I'm interested in what different clubs are doign (not just scooby clubs), but never quite got into it, many of the discussion on teh forums didn't interest me and I've seen no reason why it's any better for me than SIDC.. I like SIDC it's the club which is for subaru owners, strong tie in's with Subaru with IM Group, subaru dealers up and down the country. It is the drivers club that when you bought a new subaru, the dealer reccomended you join for added benefits of subaru ownership! This was even before hte days of forums and websites. SIDC is the primary subaru club in the UK.

One thing to remember is that in the days where SIDC in scotland was huge, it was branded as Scottish Scoobies! All the runs we did, the branding we had for the club was all Scottish Scoobies! The .net site came on the scene stating they were a club for scottish scoobies since it was calimed there wasn't anything like it already, which anyone interested in scoobies would easily have come across Scottish Scoobies brand which SIDC built up!..

... Anyway, point is the 'Scottish Scoobies' name alone may well be attracing people. When .net started using it SIDC stopped using it when it was near it's peak!. So the promotion we did on scottish scoobies was infact snapped up by scootish scoobies dot net and we basically let them take it. Because we werent happy with the confusions which there would ultimately be with two clubs promoting the same name. SIDC stepped back from it and have tried on several occasions to connect the tie in relations between the two clubs ever since, not so much as merge them into one, maybe that would happen down the line who knows... But as negotions tended to start off well, .net club always seem to close the doors on the idea. They don't seem to want to be associated with SIDC yet took our Scottish Scoobies brand which SIDC created and built up.

tumblr_lpe2xqC42E1qetbbj.gif

Perfectly said Al. :icon_salut:

heh maybe :)

Back in the day SIDC did manage to pull most of the SCottish base from SCoobyNet onto SIDC :D

Having not been involved with .net or been to any meets I can't say what they do so well or any differently to SIDC. But Baz was possibly onto somethign about the 'age' thing. If the .net group is made up of 'younger' owners it will naturally attract attract the same group of people.

To kinda justify this approach, recent reports have come out about how Subaru drivers are the safest drivers on teh road, it's a fact today that subaru drivers make the least insurance claims! and drivers who have grown up with subaru's are now in their 30's and 40's.. And have other responsibilities in life other than hooning about in a scooby! But we still love to drive them like anyone else.. That's maybe part of what we have here.. Dare I say it, maybe SIDC is a bit 'Old skool' these days. who knows..

I wouldn't necessarily say so myself. The Impreza has grown up a little (although not if youve seen the 2014 WRX :wub:) But maybe the next generation and finding the 'younger' base on .net more appealing somehow?