What Do .net Do Differently?

A point I must add is that many people have stopped posting here for fear of warning or bans because the banter is not understood due to it being scottish slang

Your warning was for a duplicate profile which was created solely to be used for flaming threads & discussions and trolling the forum, in which you pointed out it was to "wind Chris up".

I no longer have the Subaru but do drop in sometimes to see what’s going on, and if there’s anything organised close to home of interest. I have to admit to rarely posting as I feel I have a lot less to contribute being Scoobless. I would like to return to a Subaru and this site one day so time for a reply.

Can’t remember the numbers but sidc does I believe have a decent following. Have to pick up on mctwistuk’s point of why it is quiet at times (not as bad lately though??).

Whether you agree or not I am posting really to see if it helps more people join in, but will mention the net connection as well given it's what gumball asked originally.

Last year I had a clear out of all the leftover Subaru parts and found net a bigger more needing audience to sell the parts (and search for a cheap 2nd car ), and of course be rude not to have a wander around the site. To be honest the general chat wasn’t for me, so never really took part in any topic discussions beyond the posts needed to allow me to get on to sell my parts. In the process of researching some of the cars that came up for sale and selling the parts I messaged a few folk, most of who have to admit came across fairly decent folk. I find it no different here. Why wasn’t it for me – not easy to answer – perhaps was an age thing and the chat kicking about, perhaps just cause felt more out of it not having a Subaru & knowing no-one, likely a combination of a few things and not just one main thing. Sure there’s going to be a few b@wb@gs on net, more there if posting numbers are higher, but you get that on every forum - deal with it or ignore it and move on. I didn’t even find the set up any better or worse, just slightly different, a preference thing no doubt.

Been mentioned in a way already but try this and prove me wrong (sorry if already been done and I missed the post). I use google as my search engine, perhaps others return different results. A new Subaru owner from Scotland, I want to find out more about my car/tuning/local meets/etc. Search on-line for anything Scotland/Scottish Subaru/Scoobies club/forum - any guess which site appears first !? – so in this fancy fangled day-n-age of the World Wide Web, what’s in a name – quite a lot I’d guess given it will be the main starting point for a lot of potential new members. If not the name then how does sidc move up the list ?? If you take yourself out of Scotland then scoobynet appears first, not to mention competing for members against some well established regional clubs. Just a thought out loud.

A note to the several hundred of the readers only to this thread (yes I was nearly one of those). One thing I know from experience is that you feel a lot more part of the group if you get yourself along and meet people face-to-face. When I first joined sidc I did feel there was a bit of a clique on the forum amongst the more established members, but have to say that when I finally got myself along to a meet it never felt like that and found most welcoming, realising more that it was a group of like-minded people who simply used the forum to have a laugh, and to be honest didn’t really know who I was till I said hello face-to-face. No doubt net is the same.

If you take the Kames meet in a few weeks time – guarantee that the names down on the a.m and p.m list all know as a minimum at least one other person in advance of turning up, vast majority knowing everyone. So a.m 16 people more or less same as last time there will turn up and have a chat/laugh/drive – been there a few times with the sidc folks with and without my Subaru and it is a decent few hours out. If you haven’t been to a meet but are thinking about it just do it – hey you won’t leave with a new best friend but it does help in getting more involved on the forum chat. The drivers are usually quite accommodating in taking a passenger (just don’t have lunch and irn-bru right beforehand....almost guilty!! :barf: ) so you don’t need to just stand about the whole time. The forum activity exists largely through a main core group of people pushing it along, through the years parts of that core move on for various reasons, it is up to All to contribute to any forum success.

Possible point that might point towards encouraging people to join in the topics, no doubt there are more. On net you have to log in to view posts (well I do anyway), so when searching for info your logged on – sidc you don’t and so someone simply looking for a quick bit of info doesn’t even need to be registered. Would joining and logging onto the site encourage some chat ?? Appreciate arguably may also discourage some as well but can’t see it has gone against net. As blobeye noted people have to post 5 times before much happens in which time they are met with a wall of "welcomes" and "show us yur motor" requests.

To those organising & attending Kames (and other events) – about the week of the event post up on the main section of the Scottish section basically highlighting it is taking place – the event is tucked away (correctly) in a sub-section that perhaps not everyone ventures into too often.

The rolling road day in a few weeks – nice one mctwistuk (twice you’ve been mentioned in this post without any “p” even attempting to be removed) in getting both sites together for a bit of joint banter through friendly power rivalry. I think “them and us” does exist for some, but some people lose the way where in a grown up world of common Subaru theme it can so easily stay friendly – and that goes to both sites (plenty of bitching examples from both sides)! I for one didn’t initially know net existed, no doubt for some on net it is the same just now and perhaps highlighting there is more than one Scottish site they might try here out and, like a lot on here, find sidc more to their preference.

The above is just my opinion, and I know I have waffled on. I have no doubt some will agree with all/some/none of it, but if it in any way pulls even one person out from the background or gets positive discussion going then job done.

Off back into hidding now :lol:

The way i read the original post was generally trying to establish why SIDC has decreased over the years, and .net has flourished. I dont think club history, name, or rivalry comes into that.

Two clubs can easily exist side by side, and have a few laughs along the way. We need to sort our club, and start being more positive instead of moaning because Scott has small-man syndrome, so feels he needs to spend £50k on his ilegal sidelights. (that was humour btw)

:boxing:

:rotfl:

Your warning was for a duplicate profile which was created solely to be used for flaming threads & discussions and trolling the forum, in which you pointed out it was to "wind Chris up".

I never mentioned that kim, its obvious that you are a grudge holder and feel the need to drag stuff up to assert authority, sorry but my respect has to be earned not granted freely,

I never mentioned that kim, its obvious that you are a grudge holder and feel the need to drag stuff up to assert authority, sorry but my respect has to be earned not granted freely,

I hold no grudges Scott, life is far too short, it was in fact you who brought up the subject of warnings and bans. No body has been banned from SIDC for a few years. All warnings recently are totally justified.

Colin, can you text me a brief synopsis of your post mate, I fell asleep on the second sentence ;)

Aye, I know :getmecoat: ! Saved up not posting for a while just to get it over with in one go ! Besides Barry, isn't this just around the time you get up from your afternoon nap, so must have been really bad ! :smiley-taunt014:

Can't text you, just deleted your number ya cheeky barsteward ;)

Edited by C_WRX

BOOM !!!

Thats awesome ! First blob eye comes on giving it the ''i did nothing but try and build bridges''

Then frenchy comes back with what i must say was ''rather like being carpet bombed before breakfast and first light'' (a bit horrifying and left me feeling shaken)

That was special !!!

I have never heard of anyone being warned or banned and coming from me...........

Hahahah, what a great thread !!

Gumball

You should try and behave properly then to avoid this in the future.

Creating secondary usernames to be very rude to people is not acceptable behaviour

I'd like to address all comments posted by Eddie that mention the current "Chair" of the club so I'll quote and reply inline.

Your first contact made with the club was with Andy on Sat 28th July 2012 - email subject was "Domain Registration, Scottishscoobies.co.uk" in which you enquired as to if we would be renewing the domain. If we weren't then you'd like to "purchase the name to go along with the .net and .org addresses".

You received a bounce back from Andy's email address, you the contacted John S who responded to you on the same day to advise that I would be the best person I deal with your query. I replied on the 10th August firstly apologising for the tardy response and advising you that we would in fact be renewing the domain.

I stated in my email to you that I would in fact like to see SIDC/.net form a relationship and yes, I asked you to have a think about how best to move forward with this. You acknowledged my apology and went straight into "So to get down to it. We are looking to secure the Scottishscoobies family of addresses".

Not the best way of attempting to "build relationships" don't you think?

You emailed me on the 11th April 2013 - subject "Domain Registration, scottishscoobies.co.uk" offering assistance with our forum/website issues. At which point I replied on the 13th April thanking you for your offer and explaining our issues. How is that snubbing you? Surely you can understand the importance of safe guarding our website/forum/database content and information. We have a not so great host who we pay to deal with this and have done for a number of years and are in the process of securing a new host. We also have stum450n and ScoUK who assist with the maintenance of the databases and servers our side of things.

I personally do not know the history of the rivalry between SIDC/.net so I can not comment on this issues raised. However, these types of posts do not help to improve situations.

This is the second or third time you've mentioned these contacts with me in various threads and whilst you see it as "not cooperating or snubbing you", I personally do not feel that your contact with me has been in relation to "building relationships" between the two clubs. I am a patient and approachable person and am willing to help anyone out where I can but I cannot do everything for this club which is why we have a Committee, Regional Organisers and Moderators to all work together. I certainly won't make decisions that will reduce member numbers and traffic away from SIDC to another site for the sake of £12. I will do whatever I can to protect our members, their data and the future of this club and if that means "snubbing you" then so be it.

It would be better all that if you do quote my emails, that you quote all of it rather than select what you want to and piece them together.

Kim,

Not a problem. I know how busy life can be. For the past two and a half years I have worked a a systems manager in Afghanistan, which at times can be busy.

So to get down to it. As I approached before. We are looking to secure the scottishscoobies family of addresses.

I would imagine now SIDC are sailing towards international branding the Scottishscoobies leg will be become less useful to the forum.

I have been a member of SIDC for the past year but have found the forum section to be very quiet. That's not to say its dying rather than we are just growing.

We are prepared as part of the securing process to link SIDC as one of our planned knowledge base forums under a new planned section where our members will be directed ad directly linked to the likes of SN, NASIOC and of course yourselves.

We would be looking to closely integrate our events team with your regional organisers to plan some joint ventures. We have confirmed some exciting plans for the Final quarter of this and first half of next years.

What would SIDC's view be on this or ideas on the relationship side.

Thanks again.

Eddie

So what you skirted around and then tried to make a bad point of was that the domain registration was the initial contact subject, you asked for ideas which i gave and asked your thoughts which you never replied about. this was where i felt snubbed. I am more than happy and can understand from my background the need for CIA when it comes to data and information, i.e. Confidentiality, Integrity and Availability of data to those that need it against those that dont.

BOOM !!!

Thats awesome ! First blob eye comes on giving it the ''i did nothing but try and build bridges''

Then frenchy comes back with what i must say was ''rather like being carpet bombed before breakfast and first light'' (a bit horrifying and left me feeling shaken)

That was special !!!

I have never heard of anyone being warned or banned and coming from me...........

Hahahah, what a great thread !!

Gumball

I refer you to the OP's question and think you could help him with his reply, you may be loved by few but cant see your comments helping the rest when they read them. :whistle:

Edited by blob eye

Not a problem. I know how busy life can be. For the past two and a half years I have worked a a systems manager in Afghanistan, which at times can be busy.

So lets you and I get down to it. Lets get it on like Donkey Kong

I have been a member of SIDC for the past year but have found that people started calling me Norman and making ''zzz zzzz'' signs every time i posted

Thanks again.

Eddie

LOL

I have worked a a systems manager in Afghanistan

my background the need for CIA when it comes to data and information, i.e. Confidentiality, Integrity and Availability of data to those that need it against those that dont.

OPSEC

OPSEC

(OPerations SECurity) Determining what information is publicly available in the normal course of operations that can be used by a competitor or enemy to its advantage. OPSEC is a common military practice that is also applied to civilian projects such as the development of new products and technologies.

PERSEC

The same but about you rather than the op.

Heres a homework exercise example

''Hi im Eddie and I work at X doing Y for Z.''

''Hi Eddie Im Terry, Terry Tale and im going to use this to do bad things''

Smart move Edwardo :icon_flower:

So what began as a potentially positive and constructive thread has decended into the usual c£$p.

Having been in the SIDC since 2006 I have seen the good times and the bad. Having read the thread, I see little point in even trying to constructively contribute. Quite sad really and does nothing to make me rush out to renew my membership. :icon_hang:

OPSEC

OPSEC

(OPerations SECurity) Determining what information is publicly available in the normal course of operations that can be used by a competitor or enemy to its advantage. OPSEC is a common military practice that is also applied to civilian projects such as the development of new products and technologies.

PERSEC

The same but about you rather than the op.

Heres a homework exercise example

''Hi im Eddie and I work at X doing Y for Z.''

''Hi Eddie Im Terry, Terry Tale and im going to use this to do bad things''

Smart move Edwardo :icon_flower:

Scoobywho gets chastised for what is classed as trolling. I.e. posting to insite nothing more than an argument which you clearly get away with.

strange rules round here. I have absolutely no shame in my job and nor does it break any opsec rules, social networking advice maybe but no opsec.

people ask for help, feedback is given and the trolls just mock. ss.net with thrive due to keeping people that troll away :Scottish-flag: and the threads of why will still be getting posted here :tumbleweed: whilst you lurk with your followers :iamstupid:

I've only been a member for just over a year so I don't know whats gone on in the past between the two clubs.

Some forums are not maybe as busy as others but maybe that's a sign of the times regards peoples finances and rising running costs every year. Also if you have a friend who already has a Subaru then your going to join the same club as them regardless.

If you want to meet up and talk about the cars and mods etc then great, If you just want to go for a drive then great. Everyone has there own thing but one thing we have in common is our cars.

Please can we all just try and move on with the here and now instead of what was. We all drive a Subaru and share the same interest, our cars.

• Upvote 1

I've only been a member for just over a year so I don't know whats gone on in the past between the two clubs.

Some forums are not maybe as busy as others but maybe that's a sign of the times regards peoples finances and rising running costs every year. Also if you have a friend who already has a Subaru then your going to join the same club as them regardless.

If you want to meet up and talk about the cars and mods etc then great, If you just want to go for a drive then great. Everyone has there own thing but one thing we have in common is our cars.

Please can we all just try and move on with the here and now instead of what was. We all drive a Subaru and share the same interest, our cars.

2nd that

Scoobywho gets chastised for what is classed as trolling. I.e. posting to insite nothing more than an argument which you clearly get away with.

strange rules round here. I have absolutely no shame in my job and nor does it break any opsec rules, social networking advice maybe but no opsec.

people ask for help, feedback is given and the trolls just mock. ss.net with thrive due to keeping people that troll away :Scottish-flag: and the threads of why will still be getting posted here :tumbleweed: whilst you lurk with your followers :iamstupid:

Problem is I rarely do that without prior prompting from a certain person,

Interesting read

I got my first Subaru 2 1/2 years ago , searched google and joined both forums , I posted a newbie thread on both forums , I think I got about 3 or 4 replys on here and about 20-30 replys on .net , this is the start of sidc's issues in my opinion , I had an occasional look on here for a few weeks but decided .net was the place for me

After being on .net for 2 years I found it had changed for the worse since Eddie (blob eye) took over and eventually got to the point where I asked for my account to be deleted because I was so annoyed how much of a downturn the place took , seemed like a sinking ship to me so I got off

So I started posting on here a bit and went to a couple of runs , found the guys very welcoming and had a great time on the runs but found the forum very quiet and it always seems to be the same few members posting and welcoming new members

I think you get out what you put in and if a few more viewers started posting then I think things would pick up on here pretty quick , things also seem a bit serious on here with talks of bans etc (one of the reasons I left .net) its a car forum and should be a fun place to come on , have a bit banter and a laugh ,tbh I've never met frenchy but I'm scared of her already :lol: (I'm joking)

A forum is only as good as its members so if the existing members want a busier forum they need to start posting

Onwards and upwards :rotfl: