Highland Fling '13 Banter Thread....

Boutique and stylish - oh and good price!! wanna take the misses to tom kitchin's for dinner, so near commercial key I suppose? well if it's a nice area? :)/>/>/>

Last couple of times I've gone on moneysupermarket.com and got the Sheraton on Lothian Road for a good price, and got a king room with full scottish breakfast pre-paid deal, first time was thru DHR.com (discount hotel rooms) and 2nd time I canna remember. Breakfast was good though - eat all ye want bacon, sasssages, Scottish offal treats and fried eggs etc. And car parking was something like £16 for 24 hours in their own car park which is part of the hotel. Some hotels ye have a long walk and are £25 and up for 24 hours :-0

I think Tom Kitchin's is at Leith? Nae sure if there's any hotels doon there.

Edited by monsterenergy

oooooooooo :rotfl:/> :rotfl:/> :rotfl:/> :rotfl:/>

the wife , who is nogt much of a car fan and said last year 'i dont want to come as it will just be boys and there toys' ' and your point is daer?' is now so posseive of her seat in the car that when my son said he would come this year the mrs told him to piss off, she just loved it and been asking when the next one will be so now she is on the hunt for a scooby jacket for 2013. errr hello dear, what happened to boys and there toys?????????????.... :evil:/> :Wales-flag:/>

and that is the best possible advert for the Fling - its for petrolheads and WAGS alike, everyone has fun :D

aye aye Rich, had some problems with the car that were expensive, lack of use, parking it on a deer etc was just getting a bit fed up - and thought about emigrating too lol

But its all sorted now, im back in love with it and aiming to do more track stuff next year - fancy some friendly rivalry?? ;)

and go on, you know you want to fling again - see if you can remember how to drive that white thing properly :P

Matty, goat trekking towards you ;)

Ladies! can't believe I've missed 4 pages of nonsense lol!!

I'm bringing the 1 series for my jolly up, and wanna tie in a bit of 40th birthday fun with the misses - so! Does anyone know of decent hotels in the Edinburgh area?

Groupon Edinburgh and KGB deals have lots of good hotel offers on atm :) .....and if you get lost in Edinburgh(Embra to the weegies :P) Giza shout lol :rolleyes:

yep, we're all going to dress up as hydro employees and play hunt the boy racer who cant manage to spot a landrover behind him - sound fun? ;)/>

*sigh* Its not like I dont have a history of reversing into things. Wonder who'll be my third time lucky?! :lol2:

If i get the new car I want, maybe some parking sensors would be a good idea... I certainly wont want to ding it!

So any tips or things I should look out for as a Fling virgin? :P/>/>/>/>/>

I've collected a few tips from others over the years: -

Depending on you plans for Sat night an exhaust bung WILL be a good idea for Sunday! - Me, most years!

Don't assume the car in front knows where they're going........infact don't even assume the impreza in front is with our group.....people get scared when popping back from the shops and 10 imprezas pull into their drive! - 2009/Every year!

Take a full size spare incase you get a puncture and restricted to 50mph for the rest of the trip - Hoss 2009

Ensure wife takes travel sick pills incase you need to dash to a tyre fitters in Inverness - Al 2010

Don't assume other people in the group even know what an impreza looks like, especially when urging you to follow 'that yellow scoob' - blame was contentious on this one.... Glyn or Del?! 2010

When leaving your car ensure you take your keys with you and don't lock your self out! - ???? and Badger both in 2011

Pull well over when allowing bike riding knobs past, under all circumstances assume they're stupid and blind........fully expect them to run into the bike in font and wedge themselves into your wing, although, in his defense he was maybe wondering what the white South Korean looking hatchback was doing in middle of our Subaru run - Me 2011

Beware suicidal wildlife trying to ruin your fun on the days leading up to the fling - Dave 2012

Don't bring an S3 as a replacement for your wildlife damaged scoob; scoop envy leads them to overheat and stop boosting at the most inappropriate times! - Dave also 2012

Edited by BrianM

@BrianM :rotfl: Quality advice there.. Amazingly, all true!! :driving:

Don't bring an S3 as a replacement for your wildlife damaged scoob; scoop envy leads them to overheat and stop boosting at the most inappropriate times! - Dave also 2012

Seemed fine after this was added:

IMG_6492.JPG

Edited by ScoUK

thanks for reposting that pic Al, no really..... :P

Any time :icon_salut: COuld have been worse.. you could have been left at the side of the road... alone.... friends.gif

On a more serious note.. Was interesting to get your views after the fling and able to compare differences between what is considered a decent sporty road car and in Impreza :headbang: Think first year we had laguna's wasn't it? 2013 brings on the BMW! :D

top marks brian :thumbs: rule no. 3 , definatly, as 2012 one on the way to applecross we ended up at gailoch,(!!??) before we realized we had missed the applecross junction :rotfl: so we ended up last at appleceoss tho things like that make for good storys. and the wife will agree with rule 5 as on the catch up to applecross on the humpy twisty coast road , which was made for subaru driving, the mrs lost her brekkie then could not face dinner :barf::rotfl: what ever you expect it to be like on your first fling, forget it. it is far better as 2012 was my first fling and i have never had so much fun and met so many great people in one place . it was awsome :thumbs:

Don't assume other people in the group even know what an impreza looks like, especially when urging you to follow 'that yellow scoob' - blame was contentious on this one.... Glyn or Del?! 2010

Especially when its nothing like an Impreza. *cough* Honda NSX :lol:

A few things i've learned...

Dont reverse - ever!

Be wary of cyclists hiding on the other side of short, deep humps and dips in single track roads when pressing on at XXmph. I'm sure his cycling shorts were a lot fuller after that little incident!

Always read the route thoroughly prior to departure as you may end up at the front and take everyone on a much longer more scenic route than what was panned... :lol:

If you're bringing a go pro, dont have it mounted to the car where you can see it whilst driving. The distraction of thinking its going to fall off is unbearable!

Edited by lewisscoob

As Brian has said, carry a full size spare wheel or face the prospect of a LONG drive home, but getting close to 30 MPG!!

Always remember that the handle to raise and lower the jack is attached to the underside of the bootboard in an Impreza so that you dont rip all the skin off your knuckles using a screwdriver to do the same job.........

Oh, and of course, avoid the inbred, incestuous sister shagging moron driving the breakdown truck towards you wearing a moronic grin and forcing you into a pothole the size of his mothers whatsit!!!

Hotel booked for the Saturday night ladies - I even understood the lady hahaha!

Luckily all the double rooms have king sized beds - whoop whoop, my fat ass will not be cold ;)

So traveling up on the Thursday - Glasgow followed by Edinburgh for Friday, and meet you ladies Saturday night and a drive on Sunday :)

Is Inverness worth visiting? was thinking of staying there on Sunday?

Shall be staying over Sunday night before the long trip south...........

It used to be when I was a frequent visitor on one of "ma wee boaties" back in the 80's/90's :D

BP%20Jouster-02.jpg

Looks like a Shetland background.............

Edited by Don