• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For what it is worth guys i feel this matter has been dealt with in a VERY sensible manner by all parties, hats off to you all.

My only comment is as follows and please don't take it ther wrong way.

To suggest that Connor should "give up" the domain name e.g. "sell" it to Scottish Scoobies is unreasonable.

First rule of the internet is to ensure you protect your "Brand" by any means necessary, i registered 27 seperate domain names to protect my company including typo's and strange spin offs to prevent my rivals "stealing" my traffic.

When .co.uk was registered you missed a trick, luckily in this case the individual who bought .net seems and honest straight forward guy and on first appearences has no malicious intent towards your "brand".

He will hopefully make it clear to anyone visiting his site that he is a seperate organisation from "Scottish Scoobies" but unless you have registered the rights to this then he has no obligation to do that.

Sad fact of life but it may be worthwhile looking at everything to do with Scottish Scoobies with a fresh set of eyes and ensuring if you feel pationately about it which i congratulate you on that the "brand" is fully protected, e.g. logos copyrighted, etc to prevent any more issues further down the line. (The logos may be protected already and apologies if this is the case i was using them as an example)

Did we not also have a thread many moons ago about people copying the Gathering Car stickers as well and flogging them on ebay????

Sick? Very, but another perfect example that when you put "something" into the public domain you must protect it at all costs or suffer the consequences when it is copied. Luckily in both the examples above the effect is fairly minor.

Regards

ScottyB

Hi

To clarify I said "If you are willing to do a name change we will happily purchase the domain name from you"

I didn't suggest he give it up I just said we would cover the cost IF he wanted to name change

I would however agree sensible debate always wins over mud slinging

Thanks for your input Scotty

Cheers Gordy - Aye the lad who said that must be part of the infamous "Keyboard warrior clan"

Phil - I know you didnt suggest i give it up :-)

This will not turn into a big issue as the plan isnt to cause trouble or steal traffic or "dirty" the brand. As someone else said people like variety a couple of Scottish sites to go on is a good thing hence how i still post on here aswell.

As said before if i actually knew first hand that SIDC was Scottishscoobies.co.uk i would most likely of not bought the domain.. As in my favourites i come through SIDC to get on the site.

Also i was expecting to come into this thread and see alot of pointless warrior style post so thanks to the people who are actually contributing to the thread in a sensible manner

Edited by Connor_scotland
Hi

To clarify I said "If you are willing to do a name change we will happily purchase the domain name from you"

I didn't suggest he give it up I just said we would cover the cost IF he wanted to name change

I would however agree sensible debate always wins over mud slinging

Exactly as i read it Phil, however my opinion was that to even suggest he considers a name change was trying to shut the door after the horse had bolted.

Fair play the guy has come on and explained his intentions and IF he agrees to a name change then the group has been very lucky.

My post was more slanted to making sure a similar situation does not present itself again - how about securing the name "Scottish Scoobies" somehow???

Regards

Scott

For what it is worth guys i feel this matter has been dealt with in a VERY sensible manner by all parties, hats off to you all.

To suggest that Connor should "give up" the domain name e.g. "sell" it to Scottish Scoobies is unreasonable.

First rule of the internet is to ensure you protect your "Brand" by any means necessary, i registered 27 seperate domain names to protect my company including typo's and strange spin offs to prevent my rivals "stealing" my traffic.

When .co.uk was registered you missed a trick, luckily in this case the individual who bought .net seems and honest straight forward guy and on first appearences has no malicious intent towards your "brand".

He will hopefully make it clear to anyone visiting his site that he is a seperate organisation from "Scottish Scoobies" but unless you have registered the rights to this then he has no obligation to do that.

Sad fact of life but it may be worthwhile looking at everything to do with Scottish Scoobies with a fresh set of eyes and ensuring if you feel pationately about it which i congratulate you on that the "brand" is fully protected, e.g. logos copyrighted, etc to prevent any more issues further down the line. (The logos may be protected already and apologies if this is the case i was using them as an example)

Did we not also have a thread many moons ago about people copying the Gathering Car stickers as well and flogging them on ebay????

Sick? Very, but another perfect example that when you put "something" into the public domain you must protect it at all costs or suffer the consequences when it is copied. Luckily in both the examples above the effect is fairly minor.

Regards

ScottyB

Well executed Scotty, if any one has a issue then pm the individual, instead of this keyboard warrior and calling people names it's sad....

my 10 pence worth if the hat fits wear it.

Chris.

Guest CRAIG D

Regards

ScottyB

:D;)

Iv just bought 22 domain names to protect my companys name. I used to work for a company up here in scotland but they had about 50 engineers down in england. Someone else started up a company which was 99% the same and even had a website which was a companys name only thing that was differant was .com.

The said company i worked for was losing ££££'s of pounds as there customers were gettinig re-directed to an other website. Evenually he took the guy to court and TM anything that remotally looked like the companys name. It cost his a fortune but money well spent.

Again gettinig connor to sell his domain its very unreasonable not olny cause its his domain but the simple fact that

you didnt protect the scottish scoobies name.

:crying:

but its not like we are in competition

IIRC someone from here has a link on my site to pics from a track day you all had and other bits and bobs

If i was a tit i would of removed them but i didnt as its pointless. Im sure we can both co exist with no issues at all.

It would be pathetic for people to bitch about an Internet forum as at the end of the day its on the internet.

I would see the point if we were making money from our sites and i was putting you out of business but thats not the case at all.

I would see the point if we were making money from our sites

we do make alot of money for charity this again could cause lots of bother scottish scoobies has been raising money for santa cruise for years, between all of the regions there is a hell of alot of money involved for santa cruise, then there is the whole Mcrae gathering side of it as well which also has ties to scottish scoobies again, then there is the events what if both clubs decide to attend the same events its going to look a bit silly with two different clubs there under scottish scoobies, the two clubs with one name is only going to cause bother for both clubs as far as i can see

i have no problem with you setting up your own forum.

what i found very hard to believe was that you set up under the same name with a different .bit

i would of though it would have at least needed a search to see if domain was vacant or in use which surely would have shown up this forum as part of the result. which other way could it then be percieved as.

i could only see confusion between the two sites as who remembers the .bit after seeing some of the branded gear on folk at rallies, meets etc.

it appears that a solution has been mooted with your good grace so apologies on my behalf.

iam with conner ive only got this site as sidc and thats how i refer to it with friends. And didnt know its other alias untill this thread when i searched. But hopefully both can work along side with out there being confusion and enjoy a good crowd.

iam with conner ive only got this site as sidc and thats how i refer to it with friends. And didnt know its other alias untill this thread when i searched.

;) I only thought this site was called sidc too! At least the domain has been purchased by another scottish scoobie person we know rather than some one else who could have used it in the wrong way!

Oh and thought it was only women do the bitching :rolleyes::o

As stated before i just used this by going through SIDC so never thought it was called Scottish Scoobies.

It is kind of hard to miss the fact this place is called Scottish Scoobies tbh. Even going in though the main SIDC page you have to click on the Scottish Scoobies section in Regional Areas. Even just coming in though a link in your favorites to this section "Scottish Scoobies" is written on the main Scottish forum page in black and white no less than 8 times. It is pretty impossible to miss.

Even if you did miss this, then before purchasing a web domain, surely it would have been an idea to punch in Scottish Scoobies to Google to see who or what was using similar addresses. Can't see how anyone would plough ahead without doing this. It is incredibly shortsighted.

I wish you every success in building your forum/club as clearly it is something you have a passion for. However to use a name/domain pretty much identical to this place will just lead to unnecessary confusion between the two. Surely your own forum/club would be much stronger with it's own unique identity?

At the end of the day the give the guy a break he came on here and said his peace and never meant no harn from it and has spoke to phil and he has said he has no problems with it, i can recall me getting tore into when i started saltirescoobies and big deal so he wants to try something different and his own just like i did and hey if it works for him good luck if not then tuff sh*t then he wasted his time just like me and the others that gave it a try.

I really do not see the major drama with this, he has bought the right to a domain name, he owns it, he is not some con artist who is trying to flog it to make a buck, he is a fellow Subaru enthusiast and will probably look after the name well.

If he wishes to attract members to HIS forum then that is their right to choose as most did when the scotland part of scoobynet left on mass to here, i really dont get the problem.

Connor, good luck mate and when your site is up and running, let me know and i will pop over for a look.

Mac

I really do not see the major drama with this, he has bought the right to a domain name, he owns it, he is not some con artist who is trying to flog it to make a buck, he is a fellow Subaru enthusiast and will probably look after the name well.

If he wishes to attract members to HIS forum then that is their right to choose as most did when the scotland part of scoobynet left on mass to here, i really dont get the problem.

Connor, good luck mate and when your site is up and running, let me know and i will pop over for a look.

Mac

No one is arguing about Conner starting his own site, good luck to him. But please, read the rest of the posts and then tell me that there is no issues with clubs that essentialy have identical names and an identical interest.