Sidc Membership

True grip costs more than the membership fees to produce and post. :mellow:

Accounts aren't posted on the RO's forum either, we're all hoping to work together with admin and the committee to reduce costs, see where the money is spent and how we can use it better.

As Glyn has say it will take time but we hopefully things will change soon.

Robert

Thanks Robert.

I'm just curious to see if it's worth paying membership fees again.

Finding out where the money is spent etc would be a good start but will paying members also be granted access to this information ?

Edited by Frank C
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

found my old copy of SIDC club rules - not too sure how long most of the sections have been ignored e.g. subs all run from 1st september and that the secretary has to put all applications to the committee for election! Also that each nomination has to be proposed and seconded by existing members :mellow: Fscinating to note that membership is "family membership for persons living at the same address" The AGM shall be held in July each year and shall recieve a full statement of accounts duly audited.

Last AGM / balance sheet that I can find in the forum is here - certainly shows TG to be a huge chunk of the cost :D - but that was almost 5 years ago balance sheet (to June 2005)

http://forums.sidc.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=55498

time to dump the secrecy and publish all those to bring members up to date!

So thats £7.50 plus per copy of true grip?

To point out that as of now, this is no longer the case and will not be the case going forward. That much has been decided (see Phil's True Grip Announcement thread for details). I can't say much now but there will be a full update shortly regarding this. Suffice to say, True Grip will be staying, it will be better too but the changes will allow the club to make more of the funds available.

I really can't believe that for what, 4000 magazine per year? The maganizes must also bring in an element of funding given the adverts in them.

That may be true for the likes of Total Impreza, Top Gear, Redline and the like with HUGE readerships but with [at most] 1,000 reader/subscribers, being able to charge anything at all for advertising is a luxury!

The volume produced is only one factor in the cost of producing a magazine, it's a long and laborious process (believe me, I know from experience) and it costs an absolute fortune... to the point where sometimes, and particularly in the case of TG, a smaller print run and less frequent issues (as opposed to monthly) it can end up costing more to run/produce than a mag with a run of 40,000!!!

Things are happening in the background but we need time to make sure everything's done right rather than charging headlong into it. That said, your will all be updated as soon as possible :mellow:

Evening

Right I am on with the accounts at the moment but I have had little time what with work among other things

We had produced these previously at AGMS but with the average attendances in single figures the meeting wouldn't even have been quorate. I know these could still be published but quite honestly I haven't had time

THIS IS BEING WORKED ON, and going forward monthly summaries are easier todo.

TG yes this costs £6k to produce and £1.5K to pack and distribute EVERY QUARTER HENCE THE PROBLEM

Public Liability Insurance is a legal requirement, I bet virtually every other Subaru Club in the UK doesn't comply with this

Website costs we host in the Uk and have had ZERO issues unlike Scoobynet this COSTS

We are however working with the RO's / Mods/ Committee who have some fresh ideas which we will be announcing soon. So if you have anything you can bring to the party please shout

I am off to Bisley [National Shooting Centre] as I have my Coaching Exams tomorrow, so I won't be back online until Sunday evening WISH ME LUCK

Please feel free to post further questions in the Members area

Can there not be a true grip website instead of a magazine to cut costs?

good idea,

something along the lines of " The Monkeys trunk" that NASIOC does.

This is a time of change for the club, I am a paid up member and will continue to be so, but as posted by another member accounts are to be made public to members on a yearly basis which hasnt been done for quite some time.

An idea that was muted a few years ago would be to hold the AGM in different parts of the country to promote interest in attendance but this was shot down in flames at the time, might be worth re-visiting the idea

Graeme

I would rather the club had a better physical presence at shows/events than a quarterly magazine that has very little interest for me personally.

Scottishscoobies is one of the biggest local/regional club in the UK and has a strong attendence record at events but the show that we put on is not as good as it could be and IMHO it should be looked at again how the region north of the border gets funded in order to present a better public face at these shows.

We have a good thing going here but the thing is we can make it a whole lot better if we can work a few things out

I would rather the club had a better physical presence at shows/events than a quarterly magazine that has very little interest for me personally.

Scottishscoobies is one of the biggest local/regional club in the UK and has a strong attendence record at events but the show that we put on is not as good as it could be and IMHO it should be looked at again how the region north of the border gets funded in order to present a better public face at these shows.

We have a good thing going here but the thing is we can make it a whole lot better if we can work a few things out

^^What he said^^

Cut costs on true grip as nobody really bothers about it and spend the difference on decent things for shows etc

Hows about just making TG into PDF format, I wouldent mind it one bit, TBH I would prefer it in PDF anyway (saves me bending over for it at the door :mellow: ) also saves on production and distribution which is the biggest killer financally, You could then host it on the site as a downloadable item

Anyhoo I will continue to be a member as always

Edited by RA Dunk
An idea that was muted a few years ago would be to hold the AGM in different parts of the country to promote interest in attendance but this was shot down in flames at the time, might be worth re-visiting the idea

Graeme

Not shot down on flames at all, history of the AGM's from memory

Milton Keynes following a Karting Event [Karting Event FULL 16 people stayed for the AGM]

Hertfordshire less than 10 people attended

Knockhill following a Trackday approx 15 people attended

Brands Hatch followoing a Trackday approx 20 People attended

These numbers are simply not sufficent to make decisions or make them worthy of the cost involved