Weird Noise

Hi All. Driving the car tonight and I start to hear a clunking sound from the rear. I pulled over had a look around, nothing obvious. Its not a continouse sound and there is no pattern to it. The sound is a bit like hitting a big pot with a wooden stick, weird! I can go along the road for a few miles and hear nothing, then suddenly a few random clunks, then nothing for a bit, then a clunk here and there...

Anyway, anyone experienced this before? The car is running on Tein Superstreet Coilovers and has a Whiteline 24mm ARB. That's all the mods I have at the rear end.

Thanks ;)

What about frozen snow around the boot seal/ledge working free....?...

Seriously I had a similar sound on mine and turned out to be lumps of frozen snow wratling around the boot ledge.... Honest!.... ;)

I had that too but sounded more like the parcel shelf was loose but it was ice on the boot.

Anyway, anyone experienced this before? The car is running on Tein Superstreet Coilovers and has a Whiteline 24mm ARB. That's all the mods I have at the rear end.

Sorry for the hi-jack, but I am running exactly the same set-up (but with Whiteline droplinks too) and unfortunately I am having the same prob. ;)

The cars in with Duncan ( @Hypertech) on Monday for a service. I'll ask him to have a look and report back ASAP

Cheers

Graham

Edited by spot2

I get the clunk on the sti when changing gear from left hand side rear you don't get the noise all the time .Had it in a garage getting a oil change's ie engine and gear oil i would do this myself if i had use of a ramp and the mechanic was checking it over and there was play in the white line spherical bearing drop link .So need to take said droplink of and check it over and see if i can sort it

Edited by Dipsy

imho it could be a problem with shock mounts??? seeing as SPOT2 is having same issue.....?

then again could be exhaust being close enough under certain circustances where it is in contact with the body...???

i had to fit kartboy longer mounts to mine cos the exhaust using standard mounts was hitting rear arm mounts due to increased bore of my centre section/rear box pipework....

as dipsy was saying....???

mine hits the rear inner mounts of rear lower arms using original exhaust mounts....radius of bend combined with increased bore of pipework was causing knocking...thats on a my98 classic though..... ;)

I have always had something similar with my Bugeye. Never got to the bottom of it. Recently changed the rear shockers as they were shot, and it still does it. I have always put it down to the jack. Must take it out sometimes and see if it cures it.

Hi All. Driving the car tonight and I start to hear a clunking sound from the rear. I pulled over had a look around, nothing obvious. Its not a continouse sound and there is no pattern to it. The sound is a bit like hitting a big pot with a wooden stick, weird! I can go along the road for a few miles and hear nothing, then suddenly a few random clunks, then nothing for a bit, then a clunk here and there...

That is the sound of youre car begging you to take it back to kKnockhill John :)

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions, however, the noise (well that one) has stopped! There are other knocking sounds that I think might be suspension related, but the the noise reported on the OP didn't sound suspension related. I never got under the car either, too cold and I wouldn't know what I was looking for.

Hopefully, the noise will stay away :rolleyes: