Daily record article.

Boy Racers Hit Scooby

Boy racers have turned a 150mph car into Britain's most difficult car to insure.

Many companies are refusing to cover the 220bhp Subaru Impreza after forking out over £1million in crash claims.

Early models now cost just £1500 and teenagers are snapping up the Imprezas, nicknames Scoobys, but have to spend twice as much on insurance premiums.

The few companies still prepared to offer cover insist the driver is over 25 and - in a catch-22 move - has to have driven it for a year without a claim.

New subarus are classfied as group 19, the same as many expensive foreign sports cars.

Well I know that means I'm going to have fun come renewal time. Thoughts?

i think it is a good idea, about time the marques got rid of it's ar$ehole chavvy image and if that means higher insurance to price certain people out of the market then i am happy!!

yeh its a gd idea but its still gona screw us younger scooby enthusiats

I'd be surprised if it affected people with existing insurance. You're probably paying enough for them as it is.

It doesn't say ALL insurance companies either. Remember the club has an excellent arrangement with Keith Michaels insurance which quite a few of us are utilising.

The article appears to be typical of the daily record in that the jist is right, but it's light on the facts, and the tone is of the scaremongering the end is nigh head for the hills lock up your children and stockpile your tinned foods style.

I don't think it'd be wrong to say that some of the older ones are possibly falling into "the wrong hands" which in turn does make it more difficult for people who want a good fast car on a limited budget which they can enjoy RESPONSIBLY.

Hopefully most of them will remain with people like those in the club - proper enthusiasts, no matter whether they're in a '92 or an '07.

I wouldn't have thought it will affect any of the genuine enthusiasts but it is articles like this that give the marque a bad name.

Probably just a typical mis-informed tabloid article. It is not a problem just related to Subarus and it is unfortunate if they are now falling into the hands of the boy racers. Not sure why single out Subarus though as I am sure the same 'problem' exists with early Evos, Pulsers, Starlets, GT4s and then what about old Beemers etc etc.. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Equally, I have just encountered a ned in an Astra with a silly body kit and daft exhaust racing through the centre of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Greenock, so why not add Astras onto the list? The most irresponsible driver I repeatedly encounter in Renfrewshire drives a Citroen AX, better add them too.

Insurance companies, you would think, should be able to correctly police who they give policies to. Is a ned who gets hold of a Subaru any worse than worse than one who gets hold of for example an old tail happy M3 or something similar? No.

We will soon all be driving a sensible hatchback anyway. [:S]

Has this kind of article nae been getting churned out in the tabloids every year for the past christ knows how long ? The "few" who will still insure a Scoob ? There's feckin loads oot there if you just do your homework. Obviously a quiet news day.

[:o] Really wish james666 would come along & comment on this thread, i'd love to know what he has to say on the subject [:o]

Think it is a forum glitch boss

I have had it a few times in PM form.  One PM can stretch over 3 pages and i really dont think they had the patience to hit reply after every word

Sorry but could you repeat that just once more

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^[:D]

Guess I`ll have to join this auld farts club too! Wouldn`t like to pay over £500 never mind £2000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10+ years of safe driving - touch wood! [:P]

well i'm damn near 2 grand for the insurance since i moved house which put it up. Thats 22 with 2 years no claims and 3 years driving. (spent a year on dads policy before getting my first car) To this day i wish I had gotten a cheep car and started insuring it from 17 just for the no claims.

Anyways hopefully more insurers will look at me once i've had it for a year...

[:@] Anyway as i tried to say earlier on i'm under £600 fully comp with full no claims and 3 points for my 95 STI wagon so i must be in the AULD farts group but i canny be in there just yet i aint that bloody auld.   Oh and sorry if i bu$$ered things up