Attracting New/renewing Forum Members

If the forum is going to continue then we need to do something drastic to get people to join and also to get people to renew their memberships. There has been numerous threads recently about the lack of activity etc yet nothing as far as the public can see is being done about it.

Yes the forum is only a bit of the club but it is the first point of call for people.

Can we get some sort of input from the committee as to what's going on in the background?

This is not just winter quietness in here!

• Upvote 1

I've seen a thing in Facebook today from one of local guys up here who attends local events and shows and helps out. He's seriously thinking about not renewing and moving off to other forums. we've got ex-RO's asking for their entire profile to be deleted and little action apart from a few regular posters.

There needs to be some communication About plans, ideas, anything would be nice to be honest.

I've got most of this year planned for the region, not sure how many members we'll have left to attend events....

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I've just sold my fourth Subaru (and currently not renewed my membership due in January as I do not have a Subaru - and likely won't have for several years).

As someone who has been involved with the SIDC for over 10 years, a forum moderator for many years etc, I felt a moment of sadness when I logged in tonight to look at how few posts & discussions seemed to be anywhere (except in Scotland) - the place used to be absolutely bursting at the seams! I was also amazed at how few RO's there were, particularly in England & Wales...there used to be loads.

Have people just moved to other forums, now using Facebook or just not owning these cars any more?

Brian.

Hi Brian,

Welcome back abeit only for a short time.

Various reasons for the quietness to be honest.

What you driving now?

Chris

Hi Chris,

First time I have not been an SIDC member in 11 years - feels bizarre and demoralising to see non-member beside my name :(

Bizarrely, I have just bought a fairly new RAV4. Need AWD, my wife's Rav is now 12 and is running brilliantly (it's my fourth Toyota) so I know it will be very reliable. It's a lovely car and drives well, brilliant Invincible spec, will hold it's value and and was the best mix of running cost, spec and quality (most expensive major service is £239!). The new Legacy is not out yet, I can't afford to run an Impreza with my miles, I'm not going down the 2 cars route (which I did for 6 years) and the new Forester is too expensive without going to very basic spec.

The Legacy had loads of life left in it, but at 4 years old and 81,000 miles it was getting to a point of trade/sell it now, or keep it for a few more years and it will go for £3k or so, which would be a real shame - with the spec, Bilstein suspension etc it was a great car.

It's sad to see it so quiet down here - 8/9 years ago it was absolutely jumping beyond control at times!! :PB)

Brian.

Hi there

Just picked up my 3rd Scooby (love them to bits). Jacqui and I used to run the South West area for SIDC. between 2004 AND 2010 if you had cut us in half you would have seen that we were SIDC through and through.

However, running the risk of the powers that be, we both disagree with the direction the club took, the "arrogance" of some of the people running the club hence we just walked away from the scene.

The South West area used to be quite busy however the "merging" of a another South West club plus the people complaining about the postings on the SW area meant it was not fun anymore.

The last message I had back in 2011 from a "senior" member of this club was, at best curt, at worse was quite rude, which means I wont be renewing my membership ever and would never encourage anybody else to either and what makes me laugh is we used to spend our own money putting together little packs etc actually encouraging people to join.

We are now restarting our Swindon meets after a break of almost 3 years but if I want to be on a stand at a show etc I will be telling people to look to BBS and not SIDC.

Apologies but I saw this thread, ummed and ahhed before posting because I was really unsure whether anybody wanted a real point of view.

Cheers for listening and its all imho of course.

I have to say it is a bit sad to see a forum this quiet, granted I have only joined recently but looking on the main page the last time people have posted in many forums was 2013!! I joined because my car has a SIDC (from Impreza driving clubs) sticker in the back window, will check back now and again but is very um encouraging for a new member, in fact if I hadn't had the sticker I wouldn't have even known of the forum. nothing comes up when searching for advice or help for impreza's in general. Seems a bit sad really as it looks like it used to be a very busy and fun club. But oh well, I will be back in the hope that it picks up again as it seems like it could be amazing. But for now I will be more involved with the other forums.

I have to say it is a bit sad to see a forum this quiet, granted I have only joined recently but looking on the main page the last time people have posted in many forums was 2013!! I joined because my car has a SIDC (from Impreza driving clubs) sticker in the back window, will check back now and again but is very um encouraging for a new member, in fact if I hadn't had the sticker I wouldn't have even known of the forum. nothing comes up when searching for advice or help for impreza's in general. Seems a bit sad really as it looks like it used to be a very busy and fun club. But oh well, I will be back in the hope that it picks up again as it seems like it could be amazing. But for now I will be more involved with the other forums.

Welcome. :D

It is quiet this time of year but posts are down.

I am also on Scoobynet and piston heads. I reckon they've both seem to have lost 25% posts in 2014.

So maybe not all doom and Gloom yet.

IMHO

Tony

I'm very hopeful. The more forums and clubs active the better for everyone, the more information and help and general chat available. I will try and post more on here just to do my part in making it busier and busier.

I'm very hopeful. The more forums and clubs active the better for everyone, the more information and help and general chat available. I will try and post more on here just to do my part in making it busier and busier.

That's what's required more the cup half full. :D ?

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Its not a sign of the times on here unfortunately.

All the in fighting and scandal caused a lot of problems, the forum is no longer the same friendly place it used to be. It is far harder to have a laugh and a joke without being chastised (Winston for example) as we are now apparently all PC and the latest lock down of the forum was a joke.

Self destruction by way of the management uinfortunately.

I dont often post anymore but in this case I feel the need to voice my opinion

and relax

and yes I wont be renewing

Graeme forum user / member since 2005

Edited by G_Mac
  • 2 weeks later...

I've just re joined , forgot to renew earlier in the year , book tickets for the annual rallyday outing next on the agenda .

Welcome see you there :D

We have a few cars going to Japfest.

1. Don (Paid)

2. ScoobieFloz (Paid)

3. Nick88 + Bird (Paid)

4. Dave Y (Paid)

5. T5NYW (Paid)

6.hammer (paid)

7. STi BLK (paid)

8.Samben (paid)

9. mt fuji (paid)

10. 33dne (Paid)

11. jax0707 (Paid)

12. scoobynut (Paid)

13.leecarp41(Paid)

14.Teamwolf24 (Paid)

15.madsazerd (Paid)

16.ScoobE (Paid)

Just joined SIDC last week. I hope to get more involved in the forums as and when. Just bought my 3rd Impreza (a classic Turbo) as a toy for the weekend and loving it.

Any interest in Northern Ireland/Ireland?

Cheers.

First thing I did when I bought my subaru in 2011 was join up here but I didn't renew as I use scoobynet personally. Less of a club feel but such a better source I found for knowledge, parts, etc.

Scoobynet has the mappers involved, the builders and the long standing modifiers that really know what they are talking about .....this is a nice forum but cannot compete unfortunately for that side of things.

• 5 weeks later...