Colin Mcrae / Richard Burns Drive Out Day!

To Drive out or Not to Drive out?   

47 members have voted

1. 1. Should we organise A national SIDC etc drive out to raise money for Colin Mcrae and his Family Charity

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how about Donington? I know theyre keen to raise the track profile again after the f1 debacle, loads of space, facilities and a track...... :D

We just have to make sure that we do not pay for where we go as the intention is to raise money for the two charities

IF Donington were willing, it'd be an amazing place to go! As Spect says though, we need the cash to go where its needed, not where the cats at a racetrack want it. Would be amazing to go round the old hairpin in an impreza. And for charity! lol

Hiya all!

After speaking to both charities in reference to the drive to raise money I have had a email from the Mcrae family:

Dear Chris,

Alister has passed me your email regarding your interest in organising a Subaru Impreza UK Drive to raise money for the Colin McRae Vision Charity.

The family and Trustees of the Charity took the decision last year that, at the end of the financial year in September 2012 we would close the Charity, which we did. Although the charity was a great success and raised a great deal of money, we were finding it more and more difficult to raise the funds we required. Donations were made to various programmes for children's health and education all over the world, although primarily in countries where Colin had competed.

We also feel that the original Subaru Drivers Club drive from Lanark to Prodrive was such a success that to try and replicate it would be near impossible.

Obviously for the above reasons it would be difficult for us to give any great support, but if you decide to go ahead with something, please keep me informed. I'm sorry we can't be of more help but wish you and the Subaru International Drivers Club all success in your future events.

Kind regards,

Jimmy McRae

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In response to this I emailed Jimmy back with the following email,

Hiya Jimmy,

Thank you so much for getting back to me in reference to the raising money for the Vision charity.

Its such a shame that it had to come to end, but totally understand the reasons why!

I think The SIDC would still like to complete the drive and raise as much money as possible for local charities.

If you have any charities that you feel would greatly benefit from the any money raised, I would love to hear your thoughts, and i'm more then happy to keep you informed on the overall outcome of the event.

Thanks so much again for getting back to me,

Speak to you in the near future.

Chris Hall

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like I said to Jimmy, I honestly think we should continue with drive etc and raise as much money as possible to help local charities that greatly need any support!

What do people think??

what about a lenght of britain relay from club members from lands end to members up to john o groats. each area drives to the next or as far as they want, then passing something off to the next group and so on till you get to the top end of scotland. they would not be any limit to how many cars did each stage or as to how far they want to travel in the relay/ convoy? just a thought like not running motor ways and only getting route on the morning you start like a rally stage only from bottom to top of britain :Wales-flag:

Afraid you were beaten to that one Alun, have a look at the Richard Burns relay ;)

I think for it to work it needs to be something completely different to either the RB relay or the Mcrae Gathering - they were both such spectacular success's that nothing similar will compare.

If we could get the free use of somewhere with a track or airfield how about something like completing the total number of stage miles by Colin and Richard on track with members paying per lap or mile?

Hiya all!

After speaking to both charities in reference to the drive to raise money I have had a email from the Mcrae family:

Dear Chris,

Alister has passed me your email regarding your interest in organising a Subaru Impreza UK Drive to raise money for the Colin McRae Vision Charity.

The family and Trustees of the Charity took the decision last year that, at the end of the financial year in September 2012 we would close the Charity, which we did. Although the charity was a great success and raised a great deal of money, we were finding it more and more difficult to raise the funds we required. Donations were made to various programmes for children's health and education all over the world, although primarily in countries where Colin had competed.

We also feel that the original Subaru Drivers Club drive from Lanark to Prodrive was such a success that to try and replicate it would be near impossible.

Obviously for the above reasons it would be difficult for us to give any great support, but if you decide to go ahead with something, please keep me informed. I'm sorry we can't be of more help but wish you and the Subaru International Drivers Club all success in your future events.

Kind regards,

Jimmy McRae

In response to this I emailed Jimmy back with the following email,

Hiya Jimmy,

Thank you so much for getting back to me in reference to the raising money for the Vision charity.

Its such a shame that it had to come to end, but totally understand the reasons why!

I think The SIDC would still like to complete the drive and raise as much money as possible for local charities.

If you have any charities that you feel would greatly benefit from the any money raised, I would love to hear your thoughts, and i'm more then happy to keep you informed on the overall outcome of the event.

Thanks so much again for getting back to me,

Speak to you in the near future.

Chris Hall

Like I said to Jimmy, I honestly think we should continue with drive etc and raise as much money as possible to help local charities that greatly need any support!

What do people think??

Update from my email i sent to jimmy McRae:

Hi Chris,

Keep me informed of what the club are planning and if I can be of any help I will. There maybe charities at the time we would like to support in remembrance of Colin.

All the Best

Jimmy

-----------------------------------------------------

I think they honestly want to support us and show there support (or at least jimmy does ) :)

So I'm defiantly feeling this should go ahead!!

I have contacted all surggestions above and awaiting a reply from them!!

But please keep giving feedback as it is greatly beneficial and helping (ALOT)

Cheers all

Chris

Oo oo how about a time trial. As in the one when you have to be on time and get the best average. That would take tons of planning though.

Or for a truly horrific experience we could see how many laps of the m25 we could do before we'd want to kill ourselves

like the time trial idea as they takes good driving skills to work your average time over set distance and as for the m25. i could not get pas aberdeen before i wanted to kill myself :smiley-taunt014: i used to do the 25 in a lorry and that was bad enough :rotfl: