SIDC 2012 Calendar **READY TO ORDER**

Mark, appreciate the comments mate and yes a lot of effort went into the design but hey ho, we can't please everyone. Especially those who historically like a moan anyway ;)

I invite anyone who has issue with the calendar to feel free to attempt a better job with budgets as they were. The calendar was sold to raise funds for the club, that was always clear. If we had added holes (which, as Mark points out, are easily added using a hole punch) it would have added approx £2.30 to the cost and more than doubled shipping fees (which were included in the total cost as it was) - not ideal I'm sure you would agree!

I will admit that the cover stock isn't the same weight as TG (even though the same arm of HP printed it) but that aside, I've no issue with the design or layout - particularly the lack of boxes for the dates. To point out, if I had added those, there would be LESS room to write in!

Like I say, I invite anyone with issues to do a better job next time as I can tell you now, I bloody well won't be!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't take offence Stu, all your hard work is always appreciated, you offer so much of your valuable time to the SIDC committee and making arrangements for so many things that we all benefit from.

As you say, there were costs to keep down, so you can only work with what you have, and if more money would have been spent making it, those associated costs would have been passed onto everyone that wanted them.

A pat on the back to you and everyone else involved in making and getting them printed out.

Mark, appreciate the comments mate and yes a lot of effort went into the design but hey ho, we can't please everyone. Especially those who historically like a moan anyway ;)

I invite anyone who has issue with the calendar to feel free to attempt a better job with budgets as they were. The calendar was sold to raise funds for the club, that was always clear. If we had added holes (which, as Mark points out, are easily added using a hole punch) it would have added approx £2.30 to the cost and more than doubled shipping fees (which were included in the total cost as it was) - not ideal I'm sure you would agree!

I will admit that the cover stock isn't the same weight as TG (even though the same arm of HP printed it) but that aside, I've no issue with the design or layout - particularly the lack of boxes for the dates. To point out, if I had added those, there would be LESS room to write in!

Like I say, I invite anyone with issues to do a better job next time as I can tell you now, I bloody well won't be!

I am just sorry Stu that your efforts seem to have gone unappreciated by some. :(

Folks.......... seriously what do you expect for less than a tenner?

It has the pictures/dates/months all in the right places

It is going to get stuck up on a wall & turned once a month..... not played with like a toy!

I think it has turned out pretty what I was expecting TBH.

Great for the club and finances the coffers into the SIDC bank account........ all this doesn't come free unfortunately :( [apart from personal time]

Well done to all involved.

Can we maybe keep the negative comments to a minimum as not only does it look gash but only insights bad feelings!

Looking forward to the 2013 edition.

You can buy better quality calenders for less than a tenner or people to snobby to go into certain shops on here.

With members who don't like the quality .The people who made the calender can show us lot.The brake down of the cost of the calender ????

This my opinion

I am afraid I don't know the breakdown of the costs, what I can tell you is that we worked so hard to get sponsors involved with the calendar so that costs passed down to us members was a minimum!

Its nice to know all the hard work is so appreciated though!

You can buy better quality calenders for less than a tenner or people to snobby to go into certain shops on here.

With members who don't like the quality .The people who made the calender can show us lot.The brake down of the cost of the calender ????

This my opinion

Calendars that are mass produced and probably cost peanuts to produce at that!

Seriously I do sometimes wonder why we all put some much time and effort (free of charge) into the club to try and make it the best we can for everyone!

People don't have take the huff when people give negative feed back on here

To be honest, if you had seen half the work that has been put in to actually producing this calendar then you might understand why. It does not happen overnight and then when you get people slate it as soon as it comes out it does kinda grate!

Havent received mine yet.. But reading the comments on here, it seems the issue is with the quality of the final physical copy of the calendar rather than the design/content of it.. So certainly no need for those who were involved in the creation of it to be offended.. Perhaps a misjudgement in the final supplier?.. Which I also imagine set out the design for the calendar days.

As for quality.. Ok, as I say I havent got mine.. But for a personalised calenders your normally talking around the £15-£20 mark once you include cost of delivery.. And despite the interest, I don't believe there was really enough of a bulk order in order to drive the costs down too much.. Hence perhaps going for a cheaper (maybe even cheapest) option..

I'd hope that if someone knows of a better solution for the same productions costs or less for relatively low volume then they would suggest to the powers at be..

My2pence...

Heavens forbid anyone who doesn't think the calender is brilliant! Everyone is entitled to give their thoughts.

Bottom line is the calendar is of poor quality for £9.50

The issue comes down to the way it's been produced.

Maybe a company who actually deal in production of calendars should have been used instead of one that is geared up for magazine production, as this is almost what the calender is like.. A4 sized supplement you'd expect in TrueGrip!... it's definitely not been put together (production wise) with the idea of being used as a calender.

there are plenty of companies offering a calendar service,

1clickprint do 100 A4 13 page calenders for £349 (£3.49 each)

http://www.1clickprint.com/personalised_calendars/prices.php#3

or A3 13 page @ £542

all on thick 160gsm paper.. and with a hole!!!

Surely the FIVE main sponsors who have also put funding up for the calendar would nearly cover these sorts of amounts.. if not cover all the costs!

Either way, profit could have been made on them.

Unless the cost for the production has already been covered by the sponsors and albeit the delivery cost.. the cost of the calender is all profit to the SIDC?

Either way I'd be interested to know how many have been sold, costings and with what profit the SIDC have had back. I only ask as I take it it's not a secret and we as a club are open to transparency???

PS:

just cus the club is ran by non paid volunteers doesn't mean members are not allowed to say they are not happy with something.

If anyone doesn't like either being criticised or having creative feedback.. (as I'm giving) maybe being on a committee is not their thing!

Heavens forbid anyone who doesn't think the calender is brilliant! Everyone is entitled to give their thoughts.

Bottom line is the calendar is of poor quality for £9.50

The issue comes down to the way it's been produced.

Maybe a company who actually deal in production of calendars should have been used instead of one that is geared up for magazine production, as this is almost what the calender is like.. A4 sized supplement you'd expect in TrueGrip!... it's definitely not been put together (production wise) with the idea of being used as a calender.

there are plenty of companies offering a calendar service,

1clickprint do 100 A4 13 page calenders for £349 (£3.49 each)

http://www.1clickprint.com/personalised_calendars/prices.php#3

or A3 13 page @ £542

all on thick 160gsm paper.. and with a hole!!!

Surely the FIVE main sponsors who have also put funding up for the calendar would nearly cover these sorts of amounts.. if not cover all the costs!

Either way, profit could have been made on them.

Unless the cost for the production has already been covered by the sponsors and albeit the delivery cost.. the cost of the calender is all profit to the SIDC?

Either way I'd be interested to know how many have been sold, costings and with what profit the SIDC have had back. I only ask as I take it it's not a secret and we as a club are open to transparency???

PS:

just cus the club is ran by non paid volunteers doesn't mean members are not allowed to say they are not happy with something.

If anyone doesn't like either being criticised or having creative feedback.. (as I'm giving) maybe being on a committee is not their thing!

Or... As suggested, you could read what has already been written!

THE CLUB DID NOT HAVE FUNDS TO PAY PRINT COSTS IN ADVANCE SO PRINT ON DEMAND HAD TO BE USED.

MagCloud is the best POD service in the world (proven fact) so if you've a suggestion that's actually usable going forward, feel free to suggest it. Otherwise, you might want to consider not stirring for the sake of it... Again!

We're doing the best job we can in the circumstances we're in. As said, I invite anyone to do a better job if they feel they're able.

I just got mine through the mail.

It's nice. I like it. It will go on my wall in 2012.

It has no hole in it. I've got access to a hole punch.

I feel happy about my calendar because:

1 - I was lucky enough to have my car's picture included as chosen by my fellow members.

2 - In buying this calendar I have financially supported a club of which I am both a member and active committee member. I spend a lot of happy hours on the forum, at club activities and with many genuine folk I have met through SIDC.

3 - I would not of looked at the calendar and thought poor quality had it not been for the posts made above - having looked at it I still don't think the quality is poor and I am mindful that in buying it I am supporting my club. I can see that all people have a perceived value of items and it may not be the same as my view.

Look, all forums are the same. People set out to say something and there is no emotion or feeling detectable by another person simply reading the text on the screen. Two people can take completely different meanings from the same text dependant upon their perception of the content. Some people are not good with words and their intended message can very easily be misinterpreted because of this. Emoticons can help a great deal in these situations. Reading over your post and thinking it through before tapping 'post' is a great idea. There's an edit button too....

It's hard to be knocked when we (the committee) try hard and work hard to keep this club operational, and try to move forward. But we also must listen to our members and potential members if we are to learn. We have two complaints and plenty praise - you can't please all of the people all of the time.

In due course, once all calendar sales are completed, the financial side of it and it's benefit to the club will be made public.

Just remember - these funds are going into SIDC to improve it's ability to give you, the member, more benefits and better club facilities going forwards.

Chill out peeps :occasion14:

Just got mine opened up..

And to be honest..... I like it :icon_salut:.. It's not as "cheap" as I thought it would be given comments above. Certianly happy with it.. Sure, it should be hole punched since it's a calendar and having the calendar dates in a square grid with space to scribble little notes in would be nice, But overall I'm happy. Print quality is decent! I've had calendars in the past which have felt much cheaper than this one.. As long as he wee hole it'll hang up on doesn't tear I'm happy!

:thumbup:

Now where'd I put me hole punch :P

Note:.. the above comments are intended as constructive feedback for next time.. :tumbleweed:

Edited by ScoUK