Heavy Steering

In the last few days (hard to put a number on it) my steering seems to have gotten heavier when going beyond a quarter turn. At least I think it has and it's not my imagination. It feels the same in either direction too as far as I can decide.

The car itself appears to be handling absolutely fine. I feel no vibrations and it seems to drive as straight as normal - usually a wee bit to the left on most roads but that's fairly normal when the roads are cambered. Tyre wear appears to be even across the two fronts which are 6 month-ish old Toyos. Pressures were checked fairly recently and were fine too. I will do them again when I get the chance.

So what could it be - power steering fluid or pump perhaps? Anything obvious I'm missing out on?

Thanks!

Any good "numpties" guides to the power steering system in a WRX? It's dark and wet when I get home just now so it's waiting until Saturday morning.

The first thing I thought was fluid given the large number of properly cold to hot cycles my car would have went through in the last few months.

Should mention it was MOTd in late November with no issues spotted.

Certainly check your PS fluid level. Too low will cause steering to feel heavy.

If it does turn out to be low, probably worth having a gander for leaks :lol:

Check mine regular due to the leaking issues so not that..and its not leaking now either, thought maybe air in the system?

Sorry for "stealing" the thread ;)

What car u driving?

My old classic used to leak from the bottom of the power steering fluid tank, its a common fault need to replace the "o" ring.

Check ur fulid leves on your PAS and check your front tyre pressures. Dont know what most guys run but was always told 33psi front 32psi back, those tyre pressures came from Barretts Subaru Motorsport in Canterbury!

Regards

WJ

I have that problem with mine at the moment. But the power steering squeals like hell on full lock and on cold days. Fluid fine so hoping it is just the belt needing adjusting or something. Could do without having to replace the pump. But the way my luck is, it will probably be the pump!

Check steering U/J isn't tightening up. Lots of cars in with this fault just now due to the weather.

If it is, soak it in oil from an oil can and turn it back and forth several times. You'll see the rust start to come out. Nine times out of ten this is enough, sometimes the U/J will have play in it after the rust comes out - you need to check for this and replace if necessary.

Hope this helps.

Is pump or belt replacement a big job then?

I'm guessing it'll be located in some sort of wholly awkward place!

As I say - it's only in the last few days it's got heavier. It's not like it's driving as if there is no power steering.

P/S belt is a really easy job, not sure about the pump though.

when my uj went it was more a notchy feeling rather than stiff through out IYKWIM. revs didnt make any difference, although when i had it removed it was near enough siezed on one axis.

racks not to bad to replace but getting the two pipes back on to the correct thread is a fiddle with the odd sweary word.

theres also the internal mesh filters on pump, i had one of these come loose on a classic.

best first check would be the belt though

I'll look down in that direction too. I'm assuming the belt should have little to no play on it as it's under tension?

Where would one find it also ;)

I'm slowly realising the problem of practicing all my spannering on what is a tube frame with an engine strapped to it - the lack of auxillaries to fidget with and learn about.

I have that problem with mine at the moment. But the power steering squeals like hell on full lock and on cold days. Fluid fine so hoping it is just the belt needing adjusting or something. Could do without having to replace the pump. But the way my luck is, it will probably be the pump!

My BugSTi did the same, a new belt sorted this instantly. Easy job and under £10 for the belt too ;)

If you want to check the power steering belt then lift the lid, take the belt cover off the front top of the engine and it's the same belt as drives the alternator. Get your fingers in the power steering pump pulley, left of alternator as you look at car front on, engine off obviously, and see if you can turn the pulley independently of the belt, if it attempts to turn the engine then it is tight enough.

Right - couldn't shift the pulley at all which I guess means that it's trying to drive the engine?

Fluid levels look absolutely bang on too.

Tyres - Front pax one was down at 20psi. Possibly a slow puncture maybe so will need to monitor that in the next few days. Put air in and checked the rest. Didn't appear to make a difference when I went for a quick spin but its not like the difference I'm feeling is a huge one anyway.

Had someone turn the wheel whilst car was running with bonnet up. Certainly there's a noise being emitted when the wheel is turned. I've nothing to reference it against as I've never went listening to it before so it could just be the noise the pump makes normally or maybe it is louder.

So either the pump itself is on its way out or there's something else wrong - the UJ was mentioned but I couldn't see much wrong down there when I had a look but I can't claim to be a reliable source of "yes that's fine".

Right - couldn't shift the pulley at all which I guess means that it's trying to drive the engine?

Fluid levels look absolutely bang on too.

Tyres - Front pax one was down at 20psi. Possibly a slow puncture maybe so will need to monitor that in the next few days. Put air in and checked the rest. Didn't appear to make a difference when I went for a quick spin but its not like the difference I'm feeling is a huge one anyway.

Had someone turn the wheel whilst car was running with bonnet up. Certainly there's a noise being emitted when the wheel is turned. I've nothing to reference it against as I've never went listening to it before so it could just be the noise the pump makes normally or maybe it is louder.

So either the pump itself is on its way out or there's something else wrong - the UJ was mentioned but I couldn't see much wrong down there when I had a look but I can't claim to be a reliable source of "yes that's fine".

You won't see anything with the U/J except possible signs of rust coloured water on or around. Plaster it with oil anyway, you will do no harm to it. If it is it that's faulty within a couple of minutes of turning lock to lock the oil will turn rusty and then you'll have to monitor for play!

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't had a chance to sort this yet. Here's another symptom though - the steering gets heavy at different parts of the turning circle. Sometimes right from centre its heavy, other times it's okay there but heavier further round.

I'm not going to have a chance to get it to a proper garage until next week, but does that sound like the pump's not right?