For Those Planning On Fitting Hid/xenon

Woah!! I posted because there had been a debate before about this, I reckon your response Baz was a bit OTT and unecessary.

I'm pretty sure we all know murder is illegal, but not all know the technicality on the info Ive posted.

OTT? Tongue in cheek maybe, to demonstrate the ridiculous 'laws' in this country. You should know by now the messenger will always be shot on delivery of unwelcome news - thus: necessary! :lol:

Right well from what I understand having read that three or four times to be sure, that law only affects classics with bulbs and ballasts added after the point of purchase that use the original headlight shell. Bugeyes, blobeyes hawkeyes (and hatches?) would be allowed to fit them as HID was an option on all and with the headlight shell being essenially the same, they meet the minimum criteria. Aftermarket headlights for the classics would most likely also be legal because they wouldve been made to the same manufacturing criteria.

What a bloody great waste of time and taxpayers money coming up with that ****e was!!!!

Right well from what I understand having read that three or four times to be sure, that law only affects classics with bulbs and ballasts added after the point of purchase that use the original headlight shell. Bugeyes, blobeyes hawkeyes (and hatches?) would be allowed to fit them as HID was an option on all and with the headlight shell being essenially the same, they meet the minimum criteria. Aftermarket headlights for the classics would most likely also be legal because they wouldve been made to the same manufacturing criteria.

Not entirely true.. Although some of the newage headlights allow for easy install of HId's in the projector lenses it is still illegal on bugs and blobs!

2 main reasons for this..

1) No automnatic headlight levelling (not the little switch on the dash, it needs to be completely automatic)

2) No high pressure headlight washing system..

But TBH in my view, the benefit of installing HID's into headlight units that properly support them is a massive increase in safety of the vehicle! As long they are are fitted securely and they are set-up properly not dazzling other road users on normal road conditions I don't see much of a problem generally.. Yes it's still illega, but they pass MOT's (so far) and I generally try keep them clean anyway..

Not entirely true.. Although some of the newage headlights allow for easy install of HId's in the projector lenses it is still illegal on bugs and blobs!

2 main reasons for this..

1) No automnatic headlight levelling (not the little switch on the dash, it needs to be completely automatic)

2) No high pressure headlight washing system..

But TBH in my view, the benefit of installing HID's into headlight units that properly support them is a massive increase in safety of the vehicle! As long they are are fitted securely and they are set-up properly not dazzling other road users on normal road conditions I don't see much of a problem generally.. Yes it's still illega, but they pass MOT's (so far) and I generally try keep them clean anyway..

So there you go... you learn something every day! :rotfl:

Think the HID are standard fit on the Hatches..............drool minions :rotfl:
Dont you just love the way any thread can turn into a slagging match :rotfl: I might as well join in

Not a slagging match on my part as this smiley >>>----> :rotfl: means tongue in cheek humour, if not then my most humble apology to original poster :rotfl:

Take a lot more than fancy lights to make me buy a car that looks like a dogs turd
I've left the fold and no longer have a Scooby

:rotfl:

Sorry for the sharp reaction Baz, I was in a pretty bad mood when I replied! I do see the funny side of things, just not when I'm being a ****.

Yes its correct, no washers or self levelling and your scunnered. Glasgow's finest ordered the removal of a friends lights due to them not meeting standards.

Nice eh!

Sorry for the sharp reaction Baz, I was in a pretty bad mood when I replied! I do see the funny side of things, just not when I'm being a ****.

Yes its correct, no washers or self levelling and your scunnered. Glasgow's finest ordered the removal of a friends lights due to them not meeting standards.

Nice eh!

No worries, we all have off moments.

There is a case for these lights being controlled I reckon, but as was said above, if they meet the MOT standard then they won't dazzle oncoming cars, yes they are bright but Xenons ARE bright! There needs to be some sense applied by the plod on the safety vs legality thing.

HIDS today, tomorrow .....?