Been thinking about the car and where I am at with it. I can't afford to take it to the next stage so what's the point? Is it really worth £200 a month on fuel and another grand per year between road tax and insurance, not to mention the £300 per month payments on it. My plan was to mod it to a decent standard track car (450bhp/450torque) but the last two outings at KH where not enjoyable for me; I bottled out the last session and the up and coming one in June does not seem appealing to me. So I'm thinking its time to throw the towel in.

So, if anyone wants to take it off my hands for the right price they are welcome to it, conversely, feel free to tell me how much of an idiot I am to think about letting it go and perhaps I'll wake up.

It's remapped to 340bhp and 400 ft/lbs torque and more mods than you can shake a stick at. I have no idea what the car is worth, but if someone made the right offer, I'd let it go.

Cheers

JW

carfront.jpg

carrear.jpg

Edited by TheWelsho
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how much, dealer has a my06 with 28k miles for 10 grand

all depends in what you need to clear fiances or be happy how much you get for it

just remember its a buyers market, i got a my03 blobeye 1 owner with fssh with ppp for just over 4 grand

Its a lot more car than a standard WRX, a LOT more! But you're right, its a buyers market, so I wont raise sufficient funds to pay it off.

John your crazy if you sell it but i understand where you are coming from. Once you get to the point of no return with modding you never make the money back. Would you consider putting back to standard to try make some money back? Would you not miss the thrill and power and the social aspect attached to the car?

Chris

John your crazy if you sell it but i understand where you are coming from. Once you get to the point of no return with modding you never make the money back. Would you consider putting back to standard to try make some money back? Would you not miss the thrill and power and the social aspect attached to the car?

Chris

I don't have all the standard parts or I'd put it back to standard and trade it in. That said, it would cost money to do that, so I'd jsut sell as is. The thrill and power just can't be experienced on roads it needs to be the track. But the costs of everything associated with performance car ownership is going up and up, so even track days etc. are getting to be too much. The social aspect amounts to about 6 or 7 runs in the summer, and while i really enjoy that I don't think I'd miss it too much.

Sorry to hear you're thinking about giving it all up John, but I know where you're coming from as it is one wh0re of an expensive hobby - and I don't even take my motor onto a track (I must get my thrills easy, either that or I'm a road hog :rolleyes:).

Before you sell the car, who not try borrowing/hiring a 'normal' car for a couple of weeks - see if you still feel the same way after the week is out? Speaking from my own experience, I know it's easy to take Scooby ownership for granted - happened to me last year before my WRX went into the garage for a couple of days. Even after that short time it felt so good to have it back - would be gutted to end up Scoobieless! (although it could always happen).

Either that or you might consider a 'cheap but fun' driver's car like an older MX5 or similar (if you can get used to the image).

:P

Edited by Mystery Machine

Hi John i was without my car for 6-7 weeks ,used my brothers car 1.9tdi VW jetta (57) when i needed it JUST NOT THE SAME!!! so mate think on it.

No more mods ,keep it a very good fast road car, anyway you have definitely made it your own :rolleyes::blush: it would not suit anyone else :P

cheers kenny

Not sure I'd get rid of it TBH.. As a coupel folk have mentioned, try get a "sensible" car and keep hold of hte scoob for those special occasions :blush:

I've taken it to extreme and got myself a 1997 Ford Ka for running about in.. Will save me lots per month and even more in teh long run..

Worked it out when I was looking for a small car.

After the first 8 months I'd start savign money.. This was taking into account £1,000 for a 2nd hand car, cost of insurance / tax / mot for 12 months but the difference in fuel costs means I save a lot of money!.. That's not taking into accountless wear and tear on the scoob, less miles totting up, and generally that grin factor everytime you get behidn teh wheels of it again!

I won big time with that plan as I got the Ka for £0.00.. £235 for insurance 0 NCB as it's a new policy £125 road tax, £30 to fill the tank, 280miles and still the wee fuel light hasn't come on :P It's used for running in and out of work every day (10 miles each way) with 1 mile of the journey done down a farm track which buggered a set of new dampers on teh scooby withing 6 months!

P.s. yes I know it's a Ka (Was actually looking for something more like a 1.4l Focus).. But it's surprisingly Decent! Great aroudn town, good feelign through the steering, a wheel at every corner virtuaolly no overhangs. It's like a go-kart! Suspension and brakes are a bit iffy though, but surprising amount of grip and feels stable at any "sensible" speed.. As long as the road isn't too bumpy.. Suspensions is a bit... welll odd.. Ok in the bends but doesn't link bumpy roads.. Especially bendy bits with bumps :rolleyes:

Edited by ScoUK

It is a difficult one as you will never know how much you will miss it until you no longer have it.

Yes it is a buyers market, but you have a pretty unique motor there and if the right buyer comes along, then you should hopefully get a decent price. All depends on what you need to clear the finance and make changing it worthwhile but then you could off set that by running something with much lower costs. Equally, you could go down the route of keeping it and getting a very cheap daily runner to save on the bills.

Despite being bought as a main car, I realised I simply couldn't afford to run it as a daily runner (I do 18k a year). Ended up buying a £900 Pug 106 diesel to use for work and commuting (paid for itself in a year). This summer I am moving house, will have a longer commute and the 106 was worth less than the repairs needed to keep it going. I half considered selling the WRX, but bugeye WRXs are ten-a-penny and even with low miles it is worth buttons compared with what I paid for it 2 1/2 years ago. Then the brake calipers siezed and it has been off the road for over a month. And I miss it, and cannot wait to drive it again. So that made up my mind despite the fact the bills are huge. I have now bought a decent 2004 Toyota Corolla as a daily runner, and the Subaru will stay as a car I can have fun with.

John, your motor is worth a decent price, if you must then sell it and buy something decent and sensible, but get a decent Classic for fun too!

i think weve all been where you are now John,especially those who mod their motors! i long ago looked at wjether to carry on modding and even placed an ad,got some trade in prices etc and soon came to the conclusion that i was going to lose a fortune on selling it and the running costs of anything else id enjoy werent much different,so this one is here to stay-when ive paid off the finance next year il go and get a nice everyday car but the scoob will always be here-ive had them off the road for a few weeks and i miss driving it or opening the garage and seeing it there soooo badly.

if you really cant live with it,try getting something else and an old one for track use but i think youd regret selling the beast youve got such history with.

thats why i have 2 of them, and my daily hack is a works transit diesel van, gives me a buzz every time i get in 1 of them, even if they only have 270bhp each

Agree with the Big Chap

I drive a shed load of miles in a hunk of junk 90hp Diesel Sprinter, jumping into the other 4WD Banana then i realize why i love these cars and that reason is they have a soul. Going from the ****heap Sprinter to the Banana it feels like the Banana has about 10000hp and 190000rpm redline

Dont do it

Agree with the Big Chap

I drive a shed load of miles in a hunk of junk 90hp Diesel Sprinter, jumping into the other 4WD Banana then i realize why i love these cars and that reason is they have a soul. Going from the ****heap Sprinter to the Banana it feels like the Banana has about 10000hp and 190000rpm redline

Dont do it

Hmmm, I just got a PM declaring interest and my heart sank at the thought of not owning it. And those comments about opening the garage door and it not being there made an impact! Ha! FFS, its just a car, isn't it? so why is it so freaking hard to let go? I can't consider a 2nd car, because what is the point of owning the ultimate driving machine and not driving it? My wife has a wee Corsa I use from time to time to run around in anyway, but it couldnay pull a sodyier aff yer maw. She's thinking about upgrading next year, so maybe if she gets something with a bit more grunt I could use it more often, that would save a little I guess.

Edited by TheWelsho