Agree with the Big Chap

I drive a shed load of miles in a hunk of junk 90hp Diesel Sprinter, jumping into the other 4WD Banana then i realize why i love these cars and that reason is they have a soul. Going from the ****heap Sprinter to the Banana it feels like the Banana has about 10000hp and 190000rpm redline

Dont do it

as you know john i've had 3 scoobs now,the first as an every day 18000 miles a year car and the other 2 as 2nd cars(toys).when they're driven every day you get so used to them that you always want to up the ante so to speak but as grant says when you spend your days driving diesels etc when you jump in the scoob for a blast it feels like your roger ramjet!bide your time and see if you can get the cash together for a runaround for work mate its the way forward.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

, so maybe if she gets something with a bit more grunt I could use it more often, that would save a little I guess.

Think you answered your own question hear. If you change the Corsa to something with a bit more power you will always say it's not quite enough we should have got something with a bit more.

Your a power junkie you say 450 in the future but then it will be a wee bit more. Even if you built your ultimate track beast you could still break it, look at time attack cars, how many break, blow engines or have issues most of them and they run purpose built machine with the best parts possible. It in inevitable that screaming round a track will damage or break a car.

I think enjoy the car for what it is, go out for good long run on some great roads and remember why you love your car. Don't tell me the runs back after the meets aren't fun. :rolleyes:

If you are still serious about changing why not consider a runaround and Classic. I know that's a swear word to you but you can get a decent classic with lots of power for very little money nowadays. Your more than welcome to have a shot of the Type R which I must admit is may favourite. :P

Think you answered your own question hear. If you change the Corsa to something with a bit more power you will always say it's not quite enough we should have got something with a bit more.

Your a power junkie you say 450 in the future but then it will be a wee bit more. Even if you built your ultimate track beast you could still break it, look at time attack cars, how many break, blow engines or have issues most of them and they run purpose built machine with the best parts possible. It in inevitable that screaming round a track will damage or break a car.

I think enjoy the car for what it is, go out for good long run on some great roads and remember why you love your car. Don't tell me the runs back after the meets aren't fun. :rolleyes:

If you are still serious about changing why not consider a runaround and Classic. I know that's a swear word to you but you can get a decent classic with lots of power for very little money nowadays. Your more than welcome to have a shot of the Type R which I must admit is may favourite. :P

Well said that man :blush: (Classic ) sweary word

I must admit I'm really enjoying the RA & the engine won't be getting touched the car is so well sorted in it's standard form even though it doesn't have the raw pulling power of the GB it's a more fun car to drive.

Iv'e always had a scoob since 1995 John & I got rid of my STI & went for an Audi TT 3.2 tiptronic launch control with all the bells & whistles & I lasted ten months before I had to get another scooby fix

Edited by bobbyc

Hey John.

You basically need to decide for yourself what's the right thing to do - it's you that needs to live with the outcome end of the day.

Everyone on here knows exactly where your coming from when you mention how expensive a Scooby is to run - modded or not. Have you tried just driving it for a month without spending any modding money on it, perhaps use the Corsa more often, and seeing really how much it is to run - 340/400 are good numbers !

Loads of good advice from folks. In particular is the buying a 2nd car feasible for you (even keep the wifes Corsa and buy her a new car?), it is actually quite a good idea for enjoying more the less time you'd spend driving your Irn-Bru ?

Missing driving the Scoob is a strange feeling, when my wife wasn't using her car at turn of the year I left mine in the garage for 6 weeks and ran about in her Astra 1.9CDTi - I actually quite like driving this car BUT when I got back in the Scooby I'd kinda forgot how quick it was and yes the grin returned. I did miss it but I am also getting the urge to look elsewhere as I feel after a short time the grin disappeared. However every time I wheel it out the garage I feel quite pleased with myself when I think about how much time and money I've spent on getting it looking to what I'm pleased with (well STi upgrades to 340bhp would be nice). Argh...it isn't easy John is it !! I'm about to park the car up for a few months again and once I'm driving again I know I'll get the grin back but if it disappears fairly quickly and financially I can afford it reckon I'll look to change start of next year.

Take your time deciding JW.

How about this for a cheap run around :P Nice gripping seats in there !

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8103106.stm

John, are you just a bit bored? In need of some re-appreciation? A second car is the way to go!

Just to echo the sentiments of everyone else, when you don't use it every day it will feel quick

and exciting all over again. My commute car is a 1.9tdi....." ahem Skoda Fabia, ahem" which in it's

own right, not a bad wee car and 60mpg to boot :P But more importantly when I'm in the Scoob

it feels fresh and exhilirating and I'm about 90bhp down on you. So think long and hard about

what you want from motoring and not about what you CAN'T do to your car.

Cheers mate,

Kevan

Is this a serious post John? Is this really about the car or are there other factors at work here? You have customised your car so much that it defines you now and noone will give you anything near its real value.

If you are serious (and I have some doubts about that) then you have to address why the car is making you unhappy. You say you aren't happy on the track with it. Why is that? Maybe you need to improve your own performance rather than the cars'.

I do agree about using a modified car on public roads though. My road cars have all been standard. If you want to compete you need a competition car.

You say you aren't happy on the track with it. Why is that?

IIRC he had an off with it last time at knockhill, think his bottle has just smashed regarding trackdays, bit of a pity because i know how muched he enjoyed them, on a trackday he hardly took a break from the action being out just about the full session

JayDubya... as you know, I owned a similar (slightly faster :rolleyes:) Hawkeye for 2 years, which I sold a few months ago. It was my 5th Impreza, and I miss it, a LOT. Even the knowledge that it was sitting in the driveway was enough, but to know that I can't just jump into it for a blast isn't a nice feeling at all...... think VERY carefully before you make a decision, specially since you've ploughed a lot of wonga into the JW340.

I get to drive my friends re-mapped Hawkeye STi from time to time and the performance is mega, drove it at the weekend and was stretching its legs on the dualer and forgotten how hard these cars pull in EVERY gear, 1st to 6th produces meaningful progress, something I'm not used to in my current steed.

While I'm not in the market to buy another toy at the moment, it hasn't stopped me looking around and trying to compose a short list. :P But, even though I see things like E39 M5, EVOs, Monaros, Focus RS' etc etc... I find it hard to ignore the option of another Impreza. As much as I found the Hawkeye a severely talented all-rounder and the 2.5 Turbo a tower of torque which my previous Classic 2.0 Turbos couldn't match, it irritates me when I think of the running costs that the government have imposed and with the tax price being what it is (and rising..) I think that I'll go for another Classic if I return to the fold. I only managed 6k miles a year in the SpecG and that was using it quite a lot in the 1st year of ownership, so can't really justify the purchase/tax/insurance prices of a Newage STi if its going to sit being a toy and do 3-4k miles per year.

Cheers,

Grant

Edited by RS Grant

Sounds like you have a bit of thinking to do John.

What do you want from this or any car? Do you want it to be an everyday machine, a balls out weapon or something in between?

If it's an everyday car then I'm afraid you've already went too far. I had a silver uk2000 back in 97. I put a back box on it and that was it. It was an everyday car and even if it was a little thirsty and depreciated heavily it was totally reliable and fun to own and drive.

If you want a best of both worlds car then you are going to have to accept compromises in both too. The money you've spent on mods is for your benefit and rarely increases the vaule of the car, and may well make it worth less to some. You'll have lost some reliability and made the car more of a pain for the journey to work etc. However, the car wil be faster and more to your liking. You'll enjoy it more when you're in the mood and it's nice to have one that different to all the rest. The tricky thing with this type of car is the balance between the two and only you know where it is. It's like having one drink too many, more often than not you know the drink you shouldn't have had and once you've taken your car one stage to far you'll know it too.

Now a weekend toy is a different thing entirely. Do you want 500hp, no problem. Noisy enough to be heard by the french, why not. Less comforable than a POW camp, bring it on. Spend more time under it than in it, sounds familiar. Basically you can have the car exactly as you want it but there is a few catches....

First - you need an extra £2k or so. Not to spend on the car but for a run around. Keep it simple and cheap. Here's mine

P1010099.jpg

Second - You'll never be able to sell it. You've made a car for you not somebody else. If you do find someone to take it of your hands you get back a fifth of what you've spent on it.

Third - Greed. Is it ever fast enough? What do you think? That said if it is a toy it will never feel slow or boring when you get in it.

So decide what you want and make your move.

Third - Greed. Is it ever fast enough? What do you think? That said if it is a toy it will never feel slow or boring when you get in it.

So decide what you want and make your move.

Its never fast enough Colin :P

Lots of good advice here John and i guess you don't enjoy track day as much because of fear of damaging you car or transmission?

Jeezo! What a wave of response! I never expected that! I LOVE the car and I'm not bored with it. Every little addition makes it feel new and unique again but I have spent a whore of money on it and I was getting to thinking that its time to stop all this. Every once in a while my mind drifts to the costs of owning, running and modding the car and I quickly dismiss it from my mind. But recently I let my thoughts dwell on it a bit longer and started to think that it was hard to justify spending all that on a daily runner while the wife spends next to nothing on herself, I guess I was feeling guilt!

As for tracking the car; sort of lost the bottle when I went off more times in the last two session that I did in the previous 6 put together, then there is the issue of the gear box. I LOVE tracking the car, its the best fun you can have in an Impreza, no question, and I love pushing it. However, with the demise of the gearbox, track days are not as much fun with short-shifting being the order of the day.

I can't really afford to buy another car, but I really hope I can talk the wife into getting something with a but more grunt than the current Vauxhall Crapsa. I would use it more often which would save a bit on fuel and help appreciate the performance of the Scooby a bit more too. I'm going to hopefully go to the Lanark meet since I missed the last GLA one, and due to other circumstances, I'm going to miss the next KH too.

Colin: I have often thought about two wheels, but I'm too scared and its too late now to start all that, I'd only kill myself.

Iain: Yeah it was other factors (guilt/costs), not the car itself.

Grant: In your dreams! :rolleyes:

Robert: Those formation returns from meets are brill, love those!

Well thanks for all the time spent in writing those posts gents, I really do appreciate it. I spose I'll sit on it and see what the future brings.

Thanks again :P

I spose I'll sit on it and see what the future brings.

the future brings you to knockhill very soon young paddiwan :P

put it like this for all the dosh you have spent to date your only 1800 quid away from a 6 speeder and a bomb proof car, just bite the bullet fit the box and enjoy your car worry free once again

You will kick ureself john if u get rid of youre car, i went down that road 3 years ago, had a

Nissian Skyline R33 GTST, the misses giving me pelters saying its not pratical because i have

4 kids, so i sold it and got a grand voyger 7 seater the misses and the kids loved it, but my heart was broken, it was not the same when i drove it, put it in for a service and spotted my first scoob for sale, so i told her im getting shot of this big tank!! and thats the car i want, she nearly passed out and i just said to her wit u moaning about it has four doors!!

I sold my STI a month ago and have not missed it one bit - although I have a Suzuki GSX R for thrills. I think for me I just grew out of the whole Impreza 'thing' (over 8 years of ownership). The cost of owning a Scoob always crops up every now and again but the fun factor should always out number the cost. I know your not interested in 2 wheels but the sheer thrill factor and running costs for a decent sports bike blows any Impreza I've owned away. Basically if you do sell you WILL need something to fill the void.

Well JW what can i say i was in the same train of thought you have right now, will i sell and move on or will i keep my bundle of joy, weighed up the pros and cons and tbh the cons out weighed the pros, however untill i sat in the seat and strapped that harness on, and turned the key and the sound of that burble just gave me goose bumps... just think about it seriously after all that hard sweat and effort that you have made the car today will vanish, and if its kept in the North you will be dissapointed when ever you see it, so on that note keep it and have fun and be happy with the power you have .....when funds do become available then add the bits and peices there is no rush my friend rome wasnt built in a day .....look forward to seeing you on the next track day :P

Hmmm £1800 away from an STi box... I wasted close to that this year on stupid golf, what an a55! Colin, would really love to have the bottle for two wheels, just don't though, plus all the hassle of getting the bike, all the gear then learning to ride it and passing the test makes it prohibitive. My mate has an R6 and I look on it with green eyes. I'm not getting any younger and at 44, I'm over the hill. Also good points if the car stays north of the border, I would be pi55ed anytime I saw it. I'm leaning much more to the "keeping it" side, I know I would miss it and regret getting rid every time someone went past me on the roads, LOL! £1800 is really doable, I mean who couldn'r raise that given time... maybe Rome is closer than I thought.

Cheers dudes!

JW

Hmmm £1800 away from an STi box... I wasted close to that this year on stupid golf, what an a55! Colin, would really love to have the bottle for two wheels, just don't though, plus all the hassle of getting the bike, all the gear then learning to ride it and passing the test makes it prohibitive. My mate has an R6 and I look on it with green eyes. I'm not getting any younger and at 44, I'm over the hill. Also good points if the car stays north of the border, I would be pi55ed anytime I saw it. I'm leaning much more to the "keeping it" side, I know I would miss it and regret getting rid every time someone went past me on the roads, LOL! £1800 is really doable, I mean who couldn'r raise that given time... maybe Rome is closer than I thought.

Cheers dudes!

JW

the box is basically all thats stopping you from having the complete car, then you can drive it with peace of mind not worrying about it breaking, anyway f,ing golf ya homo! gay.gif

I wasn't really suggesting you get a bike John. It works for me but not for everyone. I was just trying to illustrate that a £2k runaround doesn't have to be boring.

Oh yes, I found this on my travels.

http://bbs.22b.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?...c;f=34;t=001706

I would love a bike though ;)

Wow, nice find! Will the 03 stuff work ok with the 06 model and what about the different rev ranges of the STi 9k versus the WRX 7k when it comes to the box? Do I l also need to change the clutch as well?

Sold my modded STi well over a year ago now and don't miss it. I love the Bimmer, it's so much more comfortable, cheaper to run but still has enough power to keep a smile on my face. Rear wheel drive is much more fun too.

I hear and see subarus going around all the time and i don't miss the rumble one bit.

You will get good money for your car when the right buyer comes along and will get a very good car for that money.