Not Your Normal Project Thread

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

bloody work computer won't let me see any of the pics in the thread! Sounds very impressive all the same Peter. Excitement must be getting the better of you now!

Tell me what you think when you get home and see the pics Stuart

Superb Peter really enjoying reading up & following your project, thats a fine bit of fabrication work there top marks to the guy's ;)

Will the side exit through the bumper require some form of shielding to protect the bumper or do they reckon it'll be OK

bobby

Very interesting pics there peter, thanks for sharing. I like the exhaust exiting the bumper, to me it shows that it means business :rolleyes:

Rich

No problem Rich...glad you like it :o

Yes this car really mean buisness this time ;)

Superb Peter really enjoying reading up & following your project, thats a fine bit of fabrication work there top marks to the guy's ;)

Will the side exit through the bumper require some form of shielding to protect the bumper or do they reckon it'll be OK

bobby

I don't really know mate and i don't really care as long as it doesn't melt it.

I'm going to get the headers and exhaust ceramic coated :rolleyes:

Peter, will the heat from the exaust being so close to the wheel not cause issues with brakes heating up. I suppose the amount of heat generated by the brakes is far in excess to that of the exhaust anyway, but was just wondering out loud. What does ceramic coating do? Cooling?

A very unique set up, be exciting to see what it does :rolleyes:

;)

Peter, will the heat from the exaust being so close to the wheel not cause issues with brakes heating up. I suppose the amount of heat generated by the brakes is far in excess to that of the exhaust anyway, but was just wondering out loud. What does ceramic coating do? Cooling?

Brakes will be fine not sure about the front bumper melting, maybe a carbon or metal heat shield will be required.

looking mental peter :rolleyes:;)

A bit more of an update.

Meercat has done a bit more welding.He has welded up the pipe to flange face.This would seal up the little gap that was there and will be getting the weld polished up and cleaned off for the final finish.

19062009326.jpg

He is currently working on a F430 soft top...the guy wanted a backbox to free up more noise and power!

Tell me what you think when you get home and see the pics Stuart

looks amazing. The quality of the fabrication work is outstanding, shame to coat it but the ceramic will look good too. Getting a coloured coating from is it Zircotech or something?

That will be fun buffing those welds up to kind of hide the joins for the fancy exhaust coating .

He is buffing the weld up on the flange face and its not to hide the joins for ceramic coating....buffing up all the welds would decrease the strenght of the welds so what would be the point in that?

I was down at Meercat today...alot of work has been carried out.

The exhaust box and tail tip has been finished.The overall length of the sytem is as short as a regular scooby back box!

20062009285.jpg

20062009288.jpg

20062009290.jpg

Here is a close up shot of the re-packable back box.

20062009289.jpg

The pipework has be finished for the entry of the twin wastegates.V band fitment has made up the whole building process alot easier,quicker and neater...no more blown gaskets.The exit for the wastegates has yet to be complete as other work has to be carried out before it can be finished.

20062009284.jpg

20062009283.jpg

20062009280.jpg

20062009281.jpg

Edited by fai 17

Note the fitment of a V Band at this section.

I'm going to be running a fully unsilenced system for track/strip and a silenced for driving in the streets/back roads.That V Band would make it a quick release for swap over time.There is going to be a small silencer on the screamer pipe just to quiet it down for street use LOL.

20062009294.jpg

20062009293.jpg

Oh Meercat has welded in 2 hangers for supporting the exhaust box.

20062009286.jpg

Thats all for the now and it will continue on monday.

Edited by fai 17

Lookin good Peter, but might i suggest a small something extra?

The turbo and exhaust pipework looks very close to the crank pulley. With that, i reckon after long driving, the belt might start to melt. Could be worth sticking a shield inbetween the two. Even the timing covers may start to go...

He is buffing the weld up on the flange face and its not to hide the joins for ceramic coating....buffing up all the welds would decrease the strenght of the welds so what would be the point in that?

[/quote

Me a welder you can buff up the welds to blend them in with the pipe work and still leave enough weld for strength .

Lookin good Peter, but might i suggest a small something extra?

The turbo and exhaust pipework looks very close to the crank pulley. With that, i reckon after long driving, the belt might start to melt. Could be worth sticking a shield inbetween the two. Even the timing covers may start to go...

The turbo and the whole header/exhaust system will be geeting ceramic coated as well as having a turbo jacket to try and contain the heat in.

As for the pastic cam cover i think we are putting on some gold reflective sheet to help that but i don't think there is much to do to help the belt survive the heat if it is still an issue.