Not Your Normal Project Thread

As some of you may or may not know that my car has been off the road for god knows how long but as with any serious modding there are ALWAYS hiccups and mishaps and by god i have had my fair share along with SMA01! :D

One blown engine has need to another blown engine and followed by head gaskets issues and by this time most guys would have given up but not me as i'm mad as a mad chinamen :thumbup:

Last year i ran the engine with a GT3040 turbo and recorded a best time of 11.08s on crail and with this round of mods i'm looking to be in the 10s.

And to any newbies out there that doesn't know me,Hi i'm Fai17 aka Peter.

NewWheels003.jpg

Plus over the last christmas period i've also been treating myself with some other new mods for my car.

RecaroSeatsjpg1.jpg

30012009085.jpg

Oh my brakes to stop the damn thing!

t150051596.jpg

So without further ados may i intoduce to you my new built long engine by Pennine Subaru.He is the one of the best subaru engine builders out there and has helped greatly with my engine spec and build up.The spec list is so long that i don't even have time to list them all up!The engine is a Pennine 2.5 Litre Closed Deck Block with oil squirters and steel internals.

23042009144.jpg

Head work has also been complete rebuilt by Chy and he has ported and polished the heads along with oversized Cosworth valves and Kelford cams.Alot of time has been spent of the polishing and porting of the heads and it's very labour/time intensive.

23042009143.jpg

23042009142.jpg

Next comes the modded inlet manifold and the 70mm throttle body which Chy has put together.Again time has been spent on this side of the build up.

05052009166.jpg

05052009168.jpg

Next comes the really good part.As most of you will know by now that the turbo on a subaru engine is mounted on the back of the engine.This was possibly put there by Subaru because of running a top mount intercooler and to keep the pipe short leading to it.But by going this route and exhaust pipe work has been lenghtened by a given length that i do not know of but it does has its draw backs as the turbo is so far away from the gas expelled by the heads.This can only mean more lag when trying to run a overly sized turbo but may be ok on certain applications.I know of a few cars that runs a rotated set up including myself and are happy with the set up.

But on this round of mods i'm looking for more and way more than i was first planning to at the start of all modding things.

So be checking out some of the top cars around the country i've noticed the way forward is to run the big turbo at the front the engine like on AndyF and ZEN cars.There are also a hand full of other seriously modded cars runing likes this including both Morbs and Gassasti on 22b.

So i've approached both Greersport and Meercat with the idea and they were very happy to see this project through.

The turbo itself is a Twin Scroll Garrett T04Z and will be running along with twin 38mm Tial external wastegates.

Greersport has fabricated the turbo support bracket and has situated it in the most ideal turbo position.

05052009165.jpg

05052009161.jpg

08052009184.jpg

This is as far as the project is currently. :madnoel:

Hopefully the car will be going to Meercat very soon to have the headers fabricated and i will post the pics as i get them.

Enjoy. :lol:

So what have i learnt from this?

Modding is for life and not just christmas! :whistle:

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looking good .Will the fabricated manifold be equal or unequal length for the gas flow to the twin scroll .There can't be much room for a fan on the rad when turbo is in that postion .Not picking fault just questions Peter

Very impressive Peter, never seen that done before on a road car. You worked out the radiator and intercooler positions yet?

Oh yeah, and if you're looking to have the exhaust exit in front of the front wheels I think you may have mot problems. Might be worth looking into.

Looking good .Will the fabricated manifold be equal or unequal length for the gas flow to the twin scroll .There can't be much room for a fan on the rad when turbo is in that postion .Not picking fault just questions Peter

Manifold will be fully equal lenght for the twin scroll so no more burble for me :thumbup:

As for rad/fan/intercooler combo....it will be custom :D

wow! thats immense Peter,you must be dying to get it up and running.

apart from the engine spec also loving the recaros, and the brakes -o dear i feel my wallet starting to hurt :thumbup:

And the piggy bank has been smashed! :D

looks great peter,i met you at glenshee meet several years ago and as you can tell by my username i should be getting a murtaya with a 2.1 stroker from engine tuner so not as much engine work as you but a lot lighter lol

martin

Hello Martin...what did you drive back then as it was so so so long ago?

I hope you well with the Engine Tuner build...i've heard really good reports about both Alan and Martyn :thumbup:

Very impressive Peter, never seen that done before on a road car. You worked out the radiator and intercooler positions yet?

Oh yeah, and if you're looking to have the exhaust exit in front of the front wheels I think you may have mot problems. Might be worth looking into.

MOT is not a problem :thumbup:

EXTREMELY IMPRESSIVE !!!

I hope your are gonna ditch the Toyo T1-R's as they are gonna have to be stickier to cope with the tooooooooooooooorque that this mutha is gonna be outputting. Time for some R888 rubber or something like that

You are truely radio rental oriental mon amigo !

The pax vultures will be queuing at the gate for a ride in the Bamboo Infinity !