Radar detectors ?

Hello there!

I dunno if any-one else has heard of this but i was reading somewhere about a radar/detector avoidance system, basically it works along the same principle as Jet fighters (No not Sidewinder Missiles ;o), a kinda radar jamming device, apparently the unit can detect a radar gun in use close by, it then arms itself, if a radar unit is pointed at the car it some-how disperses the signals coming from the hand held gun and the user of the Gun will get an Error code up on the screen, by this time the unit will have alarmed you that your being monitored and you of course check you are doing the limit.

I know it sounds far fetched but i definatley saw it advertised and was a known make aswell.

I'm going to see if i can find the web page,...

As far as I?m aware, there are at least 5 ways you can avoid radar detection in a military aircraft, some of which may be applicable to a car. They are:

1. Stealth (passive radar absorption). Signal absorbed so no reflection of beam takes place. As in F-117 Stealth Fighter, but unlikely to work in an Impreza

2. Stealth (semi-active radar reflection). Cause distorted radar back reflection to confuse signal. Could work with cars. Lots of aluminium foil, etc, under the bonnet?

3. Semi-active (chaff). Chuck out lots of foil to confuse the signal. Not recommended for cars - following drivers might get upset and you?d be left with no Bacofoil for the Christmas poultry.

4. Passive (radar warning receiver) upon which most car devices are based. Detect the signal (ostensibly) before it detects you, and you take avoiding manoeuvre (eg, slow down)

5. Active (jammer). Jam signal so that no, or very little return, takes place to the detector.

I should think that any ?active? or ?semi-active? device, because it actually interferes with or interrupts the signal, could be illegal, whereas a passive detector isn?t (unless you?re in France apparently).

I used to work on all this and it?s nearly as absorbing (sorry) as synthetic oil.

just bought the snooper 815s off the mate i was borrowing it off for £20!! find its good enough especially for 20 notes. To confirm, any device which interferes with police equipment is illegal - the use of a snooper is not illegal as it does not actually emit anything.

If you got around 400 quid get the snooper S6R Neo- its got everything and is superb. www.snooper.co.uk

Have just bought an Origin B2 - GPS & Laser detection, Its OK so far, but there are no database entries for mobile speedtrap locations, it relies on the laser detector.

I can also reccommend www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk, best site I have seen. Do you believe this? Stealth wax!!!