Quick straw poll - PC vs. Macintosh

Just a thought - how many PC/Mac users have we got on the forums?

I don't want to start any kind of flame war (people get wound up about these kind of things, I hear).. just interested in the balance.

OK, hidden agenda.. I've been a PC user for years and quite like the idea of the Mac mini, but have never used a one-button mouse in my life.. any thoughts? For my sins, I have been using Microshaft products since the days of DOS 3.3....

Cheers,

Plug

<< Whats the difference ??? >>

Manufacturers : PC:Microsoft ; Mac: Apple

Availability: PC more marketed, Mac exclusive-ish

Ease of use: PC as it ranges from dummies to advanced users. Mac: need a degree in rocket science, just. face-icon-small-wink.gif

Stability: PC will need updates and patches as they are prone to attacks. Mac: solid as a rock

Browser: PC IE as standard, load of rubbish plus need for update. Mac: Safari

Design: PC: any old thin box. MAC: Sleek

My preference for work, unfortunately is PC due to the ease of use and accessibilty to information. For the aesthetics, fun and games definately apple mac.

My 2p worth.face-icon-small-smile.gif

I've spent years working on both. I only use PCs now (still got one or two Mac bits in the loft though).

As scoobysnacks says, Macs are more stable than PCs. However, Windows XP has been a lot less hassle compared to Win95 and 98. One of the main problems I've found is anti-virus software killing the PCs.

Another problem seems to be the amount of different parts that make up a PC. A million and one different graphics cards are bound to cause an issue or two.

I found the Macs to be slower in processing information and better to use for graphics software.

Cost has always been another big issue when choosing between the two. Because Apple only had their dedicated retail outlets there were never any price wars between competitors, keeping the prices too high.

I used my first Mac in 1986 and used them almost daily until 1998. Once PC got Photoshop and Quark Xpress there was no need to spend twice the price on a Mac. Does anybody else remember Photoshop 1?)

I still hate the single button mouse!!!

That's some of my opinion, hope it helps answer your question. I would stay with a PC, unless your work requires anything different!

We bought an Apple Mac for home and business use about 6 weeks ago. It's taken a bit of getting used to especially when you're used to Windows. I also found it difficult to get used to having to save documents in a Word format so that they can be read by others. It's taken a few weeks of self teaching but I actually now prefer the feel of the Mac to a PC. Also, the Mac doesn't have a tower as everything is in the casing around the monitor

face-icon-small-cool.gif

Sleek and stylish - just like my Scoob !!! face-icon-small-happy.gif

TBH, I was considering the Mac as it's (allegedly) silent, and I am so fed up with the noise of my PC wheezing away under the desk.

But although the Mac mini is cheap, there aren't any to be had at the moment so I have compromised and ordered myself a nice expensive case with super big fans etc. that is supposed to be whisper quiet. I can spoon out the insides of my old PC and re-use them. I've spent quite a bit on the PC and it's got loads of goodies in so I didn't really want to bin it.. just needs to kick out a lot fewer decibels.

Although I suppose earplugs would have been cheaper..

Cheers,

Plug

Used Mac's years ago, always wanted another.

Looking at the Mini Mac, but to get the useful performance you need to tick alot of the options boxes to get decent spec, which costs alot.

I currently use a Fuji Intel 3.4ghz PC with XP/Solaris 10(noisey), and a Via 600(silent) with XP/Linux Mandrake, and a Sony TRMP laptop with XP Pro.

The bottom line (IMHO) is Apple products are cool and user friendly, Linux is secure, but can be a little too "techie", Solaris is pretty good so far (just getting into it)

and Microsoft are so dominating that you need to use their products, it's just a fact.

i use PC because i always have done but would get a mac if:

1. i wanted something more compact and stylish

2. if i was needing to use it for graphic intensive applications

3. if i decided i hated microsoft that much

but what i noticed on Macs is that it doesnt open some web pages, and flash doesnt work so well on them, plus you only get one frikkin mouse button face-icon-small-tongue.gif

i use them at college and they do my head in a bit but i guess it just takes getting used to.

PC's have many more applications/games available (to my knowledge) but not being in the mac world there might be just as many sources for applications etc face-icon-small-smile.gif

Macs best for video editing and graphics (photoshop & Illustrator)....if your not using one for that then it's more of a styling issue which I can't justify paying the extra money for.

I use CAD/3d software which is designed around the windows OS so mac is no good for me