Fling Aftermath

Well had a chance to have a proper poke around the car this morning after the fling to see what's left of it..

Total Damage:

One of the sidelight bulbs fell out of it housing during the loop around the top of Skye and was rattlign around in the headlight unit (as spotted by DaveyLWRX) - Easy fixed

Front Left tyre is now badly worn on the inside! - Rotated tyres round today and will monitor tread wear, incase i need to pull back some of the camber

Gear shifter linkage has started rattlign again - nothing some JB-WEld can solve

Front of the car has dropped by about 10mm for some reason! - Got a recheck the other day and needed a little tweak to get the toe re-set again.

Developed a clunk when cornering.. Can't see find anything wrong with the struts or springs but, the rear diff-mounts are now quite shafted! :o

I knew one of the rear mouintings was slightly worn before hand with a small amount of play, but all four are showign signs of wear with the front ones being pretyt much stuffed with a lot of play in them :brickwall:

Anyone know the best place to get bushes labelled (4) and (7) in teh diagram below? Naturally lookign for polybushes but not to fussed if their whiteline or not.

571494941501.png

Cheers! Although that listing if for a classic it gives me anotehr diagram to work from for powerflex parts :thumbup: Reasonable price as well, but they won't ship to my postcode :cussing:

Lucky you didn't go in the 'slightly faster' group then ;)

Hah! yeah was thinkign the same thing :D Although some of those roads really were exploiting the true potential of the Impreza, so quite happy to have an excuse to tighten up a couple of bits :thumbup::driving:

MOT due next month :rolleyes:

Edited by ScoUK

My tyres look ok with no uneven wear and the car is back from Clark Motorsport after having the fuel pump seal reaplaced. Looks like it's had a bit of a seep for months which explains the smell of fuel i've been getting. That was the second impreza they'd had in with the same issue this week, looks like the pump seals are slightly fragile. All sorted though.

The Performance Friction brakes are well bedded in now and it has to be said they stop the car like throwing an anchor out!

So that'll be powerflex parts PFR69-118 & PFR69-122 and potentially aroudn £60-£70 :thumbup: Pretty sure whitlines would cost about that for one set! :o

Maybe also a set of the extra diff support washers/bushes while i'll be in that area :whistle: (SPF1978K)

Superpro haven't increased nvh on my car whilst power flex have done in the past. Bush number 7 would be packed out by white line front of rear diff carrier lock kit, essentially poly rings that go above and below that bush to pack it in which would leave original bush, which is another option.

Cheers! Although that listing if for a classic it gives me anotehr diagram to work from for powerflex parts :thumbup: Reasonable price as well, but they won't ship to my postcode :cussing:

Hah! yeah was thinkign the same thing :D Although some of those roads really were exploiting the true potential of the Impreza, so quite happy to have an excuse to tighten up a couple of bits :thumbup::driving:

MOT due next month :rolleyes:

sorry not looking properly,these are the ones i got for my classic

I had the powerflex ones in the RA to start with and they were ok. I changed them to the whiteline ones which are press in instead of a push fit but they are so much better but not as user friendly to fit. I am sure Alyn at AS Performance stocks the whiteline ones and the powerflex onesvfor both positions. I think there are some pics of the whiteline ones for the diff cradle on my project thread somewhere.

So that'll be powerflex parts PFR69-118 & PFR69-122 and potentially aroudn £60-£70 :thumbup: Pretty sure whitlines would cost about that for one set! :o

Maybe also a set of the extra diff support washers/bushes while i'll be in that area :whistle: (SPF1978K)

There is a saying you get what you pay for :thumbs:

You also dont need the SPF1978K with the whiteline bushes.

sorry not looking properly,these are the ones i got for my classic

Heh No worries.. It still pointed me in teh right direction :icon_salut:

And thanks fro all the replies and suggestions.. Very knowledgable as always! Will go away and price up options and decide what to go with :thumbup: Thanks for the heads up that the Whitelines are chunkier therefore have no need for the extra rings.. Whatever the decision, it's liekly to be more solid than standard and certain better than what I have at the moment..

Edited by ScoUK

cmon then Andy whats your damage report? and anyone else, own up!

for me damage seems limited to a new windscreen courtesy of a couple of nasty cracks - group buy on post fling windscreens anyone? although still got to investigate the boost issues i had properly..

not damage but as a result of the fling definitely new suspension for the S3, something a barge hasnt rejected would be nice :tumbleweed: thinking matched set of uprated dampers and springs to start, maybe arbs and bushes or just replace the whole car.....

New windscreen for me mine was already speckled from last years but is really bad now so it's a must and a front end re spray . Oh aye picked up headers today after the fling destroyed the flexi pipe . Apart from that no damage at all to report .

Kenny

Actually youve given me an idea.. Why not get a parts company to sponsor the fling.. Livery up a coupel of cars or get banners with their company logo on it. Show off the photos ont eh website mags and stuff so they get adertising.> in return any SIDC 'MEMBERS' that were on the fling get 50% off any parts bought within 2 weeks of the fling? :D

For the record.. I'm thinking replacing the rear bushes with powerflex ones and just fitting the washer/lock kit to the front bushes to keep them stiff (ooh err!) Works out at just over £60 Hipefully that's the soruce of my *clunk* Nothign else seems worn or loose.. Gave the coilovers a jiggle and nout happening..

To be fair my origonal post can't exacly be classed as damage ;) .. The car is very much in servicable condition and totally drivable! Just a reminder that despite the harsh roads that Skye had to offer and every bit of the cars getting tested much more than they normally would on relatively smooth A and B roads , They ALL came out on top!! (well except maybe the one with four circles on it's grille.. :whistle:)

S U B A R U - FTW! :Scottish-flag::icon_pray:

Edited by ScoUK

Oh poo.... forgot about the nice stone chip i got on the 'lost boys' trip to Gairloch. Call to the insurance company to see if it can be fixed, should be ok it's not spread. Since i got it on staurday then had the loop round Skye over all the cattle grids it should be ok for the repair job. Apart from that (and the fuel leak it had had since i got it) the Hawk is faultless.

Got to say the Whiteline gear i had fitted worked a treat, always went where i pointed her and she never missed a beat. Definately had more confidence on the fling this year than i did last year, though the difference between the blob WRX and JDM Hawk STI really is like chalk and cheese. I'd only just got used to the Hawk when i had the whiteline kit fitted so i was still getting used to the handling before the fling, having new brakes fitted 3 weeks before probably didn't help either. Can't complain though she pulls like a train and corners like she's on rails and whn you hid the middle peddle the tarmac ripples in front of the car.

Like the idea Al, maybe a call to Whiteline, AST, Litchfield Imports (i can fully recommend the twin scroll turbos' they do), Performance Friction and Tesco Momentum/Shell optimax would be something for the organiser of the fling to sort out! :icon_salut: I'm more than willing to slap a few stickers on the car for a while :whistle:

Whilst running back down from our Camusdarach Beach trip, overtaking some Sunday Drivers, I had my O/S inner wing liner blow off its clips - too much air pressure in the front vent as I momentarily slipped above 60mph :driving:

Three cable ties later and I had to pass them all again - bummer! :whistle:

Other than that, car performed impeccably as ever and just needs a wash :carwash:

apart from the p2012 eml code and a sandblasted look to the splitter all is good with the blob.

tyres even escaped fairly unscathed though handling must have been compromised by an overweight front end due to insect carnage!

may throw caution to the wind next run and move arb up to middle hole! wow I'm so brave NOT.