needing new tyres soon, currently running RE70's (225/45 x 17) and getting low, got a mint spare around 6mm and a 3mm tyres in storage

wonder do i buy just 3 Re70's or do i change tyre manufacture all together

what are your lot are using in that size ?

Was running RE050's on the standard wheels and quite liked them actually.. Progressive wear and good levels of grip.. If I had the choice thought I'd give the F1's a try! Currently got Toyo T1-R's on the 18's Stupidly grippy when warmed up, don't fancy their chances in rough or snowy conditions thoguh..

Since you've already got an as new Bridgestone I'd just buy another 3, thei'll do the job I'm sure and will cost much less that 4 new boots.. Otherwise I'd look at the Goodyear F1 Assymetrics..

I've just put some RE070's on a spare set of wheels for Kames next week, but will be fitting some F1 asymmetrics on them for road use afterwards.

I've got some F1 GSD3 on the white Inovits at the moment and find them grippy, but seem to be wearing quickly. From what I've heard the asymmetrics are a bit longer lasting than the GSD3?

(Might well have a set of 17" 100pcd white Inovit Tarmac with Eagle F1 tyres for sale soon. Fits classic and newage)

Edited by Phil MC

got toyo t1-R on the classic all round, handles very nicely

got re70's on the newage and can slide that quite easily on the roundabouts and certain corners :D in the dry and wet

had federal s595 on the classic when got it from s and s service, found them to be good tyres, in both dry and wet conditions

can get the federals S595 for 57 a corner and W rated to 168 mph

dont mean to hijack this thread and hope itt doesnt seem like i am or that im trying to , but while on the subject of tyres, may i ask what and if anyone has any opinion on nitrogen filled tyres instead of normal air filled,

i have a cosco membership card and was at the cosco up at next to ikea in edinburgh ,loanhead area, and in their tyre section they were advertisng filling your tyres with nitrogen instead of air, saying they last longer etc etc , but didnt see a price and never heard of anyone having their tyres filled with it before,

so as i said dont mean to hijack but anyoen had any experience with filling your tyres with the stuff?

dont mean to hijack this thread and hope itt doesnt seem like i am or that im trying to , but while on the subject of tyres, may i ask what and if anyone has any opinion on nitrogen filled tyres instead of normal air filled,

i have a cosco membership card and was at the cosco up at next to ikea in edinburgh ,loanhead area, and in their tyre section they were advertisng filling your tyres with nitrogen instead of air, saying they last longer etc etc , but didnt see a price and never heard of anyone having their tyres filled with it before,

so as i said dont mean to hijack but anyoen had any experience with filling your tyres with the stuff?

Hi Big Felly here is Revolution 24/7 take on it

Research from Uniflate has shown that running on tyres that are underinflated by as little as 4psi can increase fuels bills by 5%. In the UK it is estimated that 19.5 million motorists drive on under-inflated tyres, getting Nitrogen inflatation could give them an annual saving of £62.50 each.

Under inflated tyres also run an increased risk of punctures as well as having a significant effect on your vehicles performance both in handling and daily running costs. Uniflate have produced a stable inflation mixture of 97% Nitrogen (not to be confused with Helium - which is flammable) it has improved pressure retention properties that will ensure tyres remain fully inflated for longer.

No wonder all F-1 Teams have been using Nitrogen inflation from Uniflate for the last 20yrs and its now compulsary in the airline industry too.

The main benefits are;

•Improved Handling

•25% More Tyre Life

•5% Reduction in Fuel Use

•Pressure Retention

•Shorter Stopping Distances

•Safer Driving

Neil I am on Yoko Parada spec 2 tyre great in the dry just dreadful in the rain.

cheers

John

A few guys from work have been using Nitrogen for a while now. They say that tyres hold pressure for longer and also claim better mpg.

Price?, one guy got his done for free at quick-fit and another was charged £1 per tyre. Worth a try??

As for tyres,I had the Re070's in 17" and hated them,car tramlined all over the place.Have used the Toyo t1's in both 17" and 18" and love them.Had them on right through the winter and even made it up single track country roads to the stables when the Disco got stuck the previous day.

Hope this helps,

Colin.

Edited by Irn_Bru

i currently have good year eagle f1 like alot of people on here, but i had normal bridgestone RE50's before and to be honest i had to to push the car to its limits and then some to notice any "real" difference in performance.....yes it was better but not "omg this is so good i must run out and tell everyone"

moral of the story is if you drive your car like you stole it 90% of the time then get eagle F1 if your 50/50 then just get bridgestone

I guess you'll be asking for a price soon then Neil? I still prefer Goodyear's and don't really like Bridgestone's (I find there sidewalls far too stiff), but am now a supplying agent for Toyo, so let me know what you decide.

As for Nitrogen in the Aerospace and Motorsport Industries, it has nothing to do with longevity or pressure retention, it has more to do with the fact that Nitrogen is almost immune to pressure changes related to heat (and lack of it in certain situations). Both tyres on Aeroplanes and racing cars can generate absurd amounts of heat and dramatically change the pressure in the tyres, creating the risk of a tyre exploding or in teh case of motorsport, can give a more consistent tyre throughout the race.

On, BTW, Richie, did you ever get to the bottom of the charging/ECU problem?

Edited by craigdmcd

Bah, Nitrogen is a joke, just designed to part you with more cash... they use it on aircraft because its an innert gas, and if you get "hot brakes", they can explode, and especially next to magnesium alloy wheels, you don't want pressurised air containing more oxygen there too... (because that will fuel the burn more)

have used goodyear gsd3's for a while now and cant fault them for wet grip,dry grip and lifespan but then i do drive like miss daisy....

loved toyos on the classic but found them a bit too slidy in the wet on the blobeye,didnt feel like they heated up enough

John every type of yoko's i ve tried have been the same from a509s to prada 2's, dreadful in the wet ,ok in the dry but broke away very suddenly

out of curiosity what tyre pressures are people running on newage 18s?

and hope this means your keeping the wrx Neil :D

i'v got parada spec 2 on the car just now they are ace in the dry but and ok in the wet, not a lot of road noise from them, if i dont get another set of parada's when the time comes i will get a set of vredestein as i have used the tyre's before on a few cars and very happy with them