Santa Cruise Winter Detail Complete

Some may know, some not. Back in December I put forward a Winter Protection Detail for raffle at the Santa cruise night Peter put together. The lucky (hope that's the right word :lol: ) winner was......well lets see how quickly you can work it out from the pics below - a very well known car on Scottish Scoobies and a few hints along the way :lol: .

Although the weather is a total pain at the moment for this kinda thing decided just to set a date and go for it.

My original plan was that this was just a deep clean and protect, but with my weekend freeing up more and the car needing a little bit more attention I took the opportunity to spend more time on it and try a couple of slightly different things out to expand my "tried it" experiences.

There was loads more I'd liked to have done to the car but had the draw the line somewhere. I actually was running out of time at the end as the wheel arches and mudflaps not being covered in the finished pics show :) . Annoyed about that! Was decided to leave the alloys also as the owner is looking in to getting a needed refurb on them.

Car arrived, owners requests - well none - "Do what you thinks best" !! Okay !

ImysClassic001.jpg

ImysClassic002.jpg

ImysClassic004.jpg

On with cleaning - you like it in white ?

ImysClassic005.jpg

off with many years of ingrained dirt - bodywork felt like sandpaper before and glass after due to this little magically product

ImysClassic006.jpg

there were just some bits that wouldn't come off no matter what I used :lol: (no, no stickers were harmed in filming of this detail!! :hl: )

ImysClassic013.jpg

After all the cleansing reality hit ! The paintwork was suffering big time. Very dull, age was showing, water staining, etc. Ideally this would have had days of machining to remove all of this along with the scratches and swirls, and I'm not being rude there as it is a 14 year old car that on the whole is a well looked after car, so at this point I decided to change from my original plan and got to work. Machine correction wasn't really an option given the time (one thing I just won't rush!) and the fact that once one bit was done you really need to get on and do the rest - I did however decide break out the machine to apply the glaze to bring the paintwork back to life to give this....

Few 50/50 shots (out of focus!!?)

Boot :

ImysClassic007.jpg

ImysClassic008.jpg

and the bonnet - before and during :

ImysClassic010.jpg

ImysClassic011.jpg

So after a few hours working away and the protection coat added, the finished article ;)

ImysClassic015.jpg

ImysClassic016.jpg

ImysClassic018.jpg

ImysClassic017.jpg

ImysClassic019.jpg

ImysClassic021.jpg

ImysClassic020.jpg

Before and After - notice any difference ?

ImysClassic004-1.jpgImysClassic017-1.jpg

Many years ago I test drove a classic Subaru and from then till I bought my newage knew I had to get a Scoob. Must admit though I do have a soft spot for the raw feel to this kind of special edition classic. Pleasure to work away on despite it giving me a challenge or two along the way, plus the [beep'n] p*** poor weather.

Hope the owner is still as happy with it as they looked/sounded when I pulled it out of the garage in to the daylight ! Good to meet you both again, and maybe I'll see it at a meet or two through the year !!

yay shiny shiny smooth smooth :)

heartfelt thanks to Colin for offering this detail as a raffle prize.

Easy dialogue, knowledgeable fella and I felt totally comfortable handing over the keys to someone I don't know ;)

the RA has never been clayed in my 4 years of ownership and 'now' I get why people spend so much time waxing and detailing their car.

the pics don't show how great she looks in the flesh and I never thought that she would give off such a shine.

she wasn't that shabby to begin with, paint was dull but not bad, but definately looks newer and perkier now.

must say sorry to Grant for leaving him sitting by himself at Lanark Loch waiting for his dinner, I just had to go out and take pics of the shiny car in the last hours of daylight :lol:

I was cringing when overtaking the gritter on the 74 on the way home, the sound of spraying grit against the bodywork was painful

Looks much better

Good work :thumbup:

I was cringing when overtaking the gritter on the 74 on the way home, the sound of spraying grit against the bodywork was painful

That Breaks my heart after spending so long and so much money getting my paint work the way i want it

F***ing gritters i avoid them completly if i can

WoW! nice work!

That looks great! Goes to show that even though you keep your car clean there's SOOOO much more can be done with a littl eextra TLC :thumbup:

Just remember to try stay on top of it and it will last for ages looking like that :thumbup:

Sshweeet!

Many thanks for all the kind comments.

As said, was a pleasure to work away on Imy's (I see you all worked out who the owner was :thumbup: ) car, and the shine is there for all to see. Imy and Grant's complimentary comments when they saw it made it all the more worthwhile. I enjoy working away on a car and seeing its transformation at the end.

Doubt very much the car will stay spotless for long at this time of year but this hopefully made it that bit easier to look after.

I won't repeat what Grant said about trying to shine up the Banana, if you know him you'll know type of words used :thumbup: .

Edited by C_WRX