Look What I Found In My Boot Today

Cleaning out the inside of the car today and lifted the boot carpet to find this

SAM_4237.jpg

Lifted the board to find this

SAM_4245.jpg

Removed the spare wheel and found this (yes its full of water in the centre)

SAM_4247.jpg

Don't know where it is coming in from but suspect the left side of the spoiler as i checked behind the side pannels and all is dry and the boot seal looks as good as new

The Sti spoiler was only fitted a few months ago by a bodyshop but one of the nuts they have fitted in the left side is different from the rest it has no shoulder, i remember opening the boot a few weeks ago during the big freeze and finding frost/ice on the underside of the boot lid but just thought it was condensation as it didn't look like much

But on thinking it looks like a lot of water to be coming thru 1 bolt hole under the spoiler!?

Any thoughts?

Chris

I found the back of my wagon wet recently but luckily it was raining at the time and saw the water leaking in through a rubber grommit where the wires etc came in the back door! I always wondered why the rear screen had condensation :rotfl:

Sorted now :rotfl: and glad I had the rubber mat in the back

My back window has been condensating a lot recently but i just thought it was the cold weather :rotfl:

I had this in my first classic and it was the rear lights that was leaking.Worth a look as well.

Na the carpet is dry around the lights checked there already :rotfl:

It could also be the boot lid seal itself, I noticed mine were not even in contact with the boot lid from inside the car when I had the rear seat back out, I could see daylight through the gaps in the seal.

Cheers Iain

The boot lid seal still looks like new and the back and sides of the carpet are dry its more into the boot thats wet, but i will peak thru the rear arm rest tomorrow and look for day light :rotfl:

Hmm sounds familiar my boot carpet is stained where water has been dripping on it and it smells some foosty too altho cant find where the water is coming from :rotfl:

Mine is a Blobeye same as yours too, Mine doesn't smell thankfully and only took minutes to clean up with the vax

Now that its all clean and dry i will keep an eye on it and hopefully find the cause

It's cos you wash it so much, Chris! *PMSL*

Its not been washed much recently at all really, with the cold weather and working till its dark at night

Chris is the spolier on for good .You could put a bit of sikaflex round the bolt holes on the outside then put your spoiler back and should have no leaks then from there or if you have no problems with small places go in the boot with a torch and get wife with garden hose to soak back of car and you will see were its leaking .

The spoiler is Genuine STI and is fitted the same as genuine one is bolted properly if thats what you mean

The bodyshop drilled the holes and fitted with a black sealent that stays tacky doesn't dry out round the bolt holes, but one nut is different from the rest right above the wet patch so will get that changed today. and keep an eye on it

Hopefully it is just that but seems an awfull lot of water to come thru one bolt hole! :)

i had the same problem with my 95 wrx recently well say recently, it only happened to mine after all the snow we had. i checked everywhere on the car and was'nt able to find where it had come from at all, so my remedy was to just drill a hole straight through the well fitted a rubber self draining gromet and job done no more water.

i had the same with the RA.

Also found a lot of water in the bit where you store the jack (on the left hand side of the boot), think it was coming in through the rear lights or the spoiler.

Not been able to find the source yet as the only option Grant suggested was for me to climb into the boot (RA rear seats don't fold down) and he hose the car from the outside so I see where the water is coming in :)

I'd stuff a bit of kitchen roll or similar in the hole with the supect spoiler bolt and then keep an eye on it for signs of water getting in that way..

Or as suggested, find a willing volunteer to hide in the boot with a torch while you hose it down from the outside! :););)

I'd stuff a bit of kitchen roll or similar in the hole with the supect spoiler bolt and then keep an eye on it for signs of water getting in that way..

Or as suggested, find a willing volunteer to hide in the boot with a torch while you hose it down from the outside! :););)

can you not put some water based paint around the suspected leak in areas , let it dry and then hose the car and see where the paint is washed off , although you may want to remove any carpet etc first just in case

... the only option Grant suggested was for me to climb into the boot (RA rear seats don't fold down) and he hose the car from the outside so I see where the water is coming in :)

Oh no! You didn't fall for THAT old joke now did you? *chuckle*

No... surely this is more than from just one small bolt-hole?

...although it might be from several...

hi mate if its like that in the boot.put your had down where the jack goes and the other side...mine were full of water...........in the end it turned out to be my rear lights

good spot I have same issue, normally get a wet patch :thumbup: ok ok

on the carpet just on one side, cheked the jack area and water down there not huge amount....

this cant be healthy for rusting

Chris,

I had the same problem after having my spoiler fitted, only came to light after a sustained period of wet weather.

Probable cause, as you suspect, a leak somewhere from your spoiler, like one of the nuts/bolts or the wires that feed the brake light on the spoiler.

HOW TO IDENTIFY OFFENDING NUT/BOLT

HOW TO CURE PROBLEM

Had the same problem on my Blobeye WRX when i bought it. There was a swimming pool in the boot when i got it home. I just covered the bolts for the spoiler in clear bathroom sealant and no more leaks! Not looking forward to having to remove the spoiler though :thumbup:

Or as I did, remove the nut from inside of boot lid, slip on large rubber washer, pop nut back on and tighten. Then cover with clear outdoor all weather sealant. Also taped up the wires that come from the inside of boot lid for the light on the spoiler and then applied the sealant to that area too.

Now, no more leaks. :thumbup:

And this little leak does lead to a little swimming pool under the spare tyre if left unchecked.

I found the back of my wagon wet recently but luckily it was raining at the time and saw the water leaking in through a rubber grommit where the wires etc came in the back door! I always wondered why the rear screen had condensation ;)

Sorted now ;) and glad I had the rubber mat in the back

Got condensation on my back window too.

Will need to check that now. It is very rare that i go into the boot.