The Question ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

some advice please lads n lasses

currently have a 3" sports cat with magnex system and magnex 5" can

it sounds nice deep raspy and pops every now and then.

i want to go full de-cat, so do i .............................

all out full de-cat with afterburner backbox ?, and make ears bleed

or

full de-cat with the tsl group n backbox ?

any comments on the above set ups please / anyone running these

ta vey much

i second that stu

got the vortex system on my classic and its the bestest noise in the world lol!!!

got the bung but its not gonna be used.

Mick

I was worried that it'd drive me mad on motorways etc but, although the noise is there, it's just in the background. From the outside, though, it sounds the business and I was surprised how much of a difference changing the centre section made too. I can only imagine what the full system sounds like!

I was worried that it'd drive me mad on motorways etc but, although the noise is there, it's just in the background. From the outside, though, it sounds the business and I was surprised how much of a difference changing the centre section made too. I can only imagine what the full system sounds like!

Hi all,

I don't want to detract from the topic too much, but i'm in a similar situation and i'm watching this thread like a hawk! Centre section- I'm going down the Hayward and Scott Backbox route in the new year, and the ol' girl is about ready for a centre pipe too. i was going to slap a standard centre on her (largely for MOT and insurance purposes), but i'm keen to know of other options available. For instance, are aftermarket ones MOT friendly? Is there really that much to be gained?

as you were,

Mark

Hi all,

I don't want to detract from the topic too much, but i'm in a similar situation and i'm watching this thread like a hawk! Centre section- I'm going down the Hayward and Scott Backbox route in the new year, and the ol' girl is about ready for a centre pipe too. i was going to slap a standard centre on her (largely for MOT and insurance purposes), but i'm keen to know of other options available. For instance, are aftermarket ones MOT friendly? Is there really that much to be gained?

as you were,

Mark

I can help you out here Mark my boy. MOT shouldn't be affected at all by centre section as there are no cats in it but (and I was surprised by it) there is a noticable difference in noise but not horsepower. I got the back box done first which was fantastic and went in to get the centre section and cat pipe done but only got the centre section (long story which I shall not bore you with but affects the 2.5 engines) but am delighted with the result. In terms of insurance, the change for the policy is for the exhaust system not the backbox and so it then doesn't matter how much of the system you end up changing as long as it doesn't go over the % perfromance enhancement you have agreed with them.

Hope this makes sense but would be happy to clarify anything.

Thanks for that, I've just got to price things up and decide what's best (and if there is only a small amount of power to be gained, then maybe the standard section will be ok). However, if the Hayward and Scott centre pipe is good mates with Mr MOT, then that could well be an option...let's be honest, we all want the noise, right?

Thanks for that, I've just got to price things up and decide what's best (and if there is only a small amount of power to be gained, then maybe the standard section will be ok). However, if the Hayward and Scott centre pipe is good mates with Mr MOT, then that could well be an option...let's be honest, we all want the noise, right?

We're talking between 1 and 3 BHP but it's only £95 fitted by Scoobyworld and, as I say, it sound the business!

got a H and S decat downpipe and centre section with a after burner on the back .sounds mental :( ,but can be a drown on long motorway trips , also have a std centre section for the mot's :thumbup:

That's my only reservation- I really can't be doing with changing bits and pieces just for the MOT. Plus, heaven forbid you have a prang, surely the insurance would have a very convenient way of wriggling out of paying up? I think I'm going to check out the H and S section as mentioned above by my esteemed colleague, as the price is much cheaper that the standard Subaru part.

That's my only reservation- I really can't be doing with changing bits and pieces just for the MOT. Plus, heaven forbid you have a prang, surely the insurance would have a very convenient way of wriggling out of paying up? I think I'm going to check out the H and S section as mentioned above by my esteemed colleague, as the price is much cheaper that the standard Subaru part.

Utterly convinced changing centre section will make not a jot of difference come MOT time. Insurance is different because, if you have a smash the insurers will question anything not standard and argue that it has affected performance. As I said earlier, if you have already declared a back-box then it shouldn't matter what else is changed. :thumbup:

Utterly convinced changing centre section will make not a jot of difference come MOT time. Insurance is different because, if you have a smash the insurers will question anything not standard and argue that it has affected performance. As I said earlier, if you have already declared a back-box then it shouldn't matter what else is changed. :rotfl:

as stu said, the centre on newage cars is only a silencer so wont change anything for emmisions on the mot.

I got a 54plate STi with a afterburner vortex fitted.....was done when i got it.....backbox, centre and 2nd cat.......i couldnt imagine a scooby soundin any other way. Even after the drive back to Spain i was still smilin....7 hrs drive from the ferry but i found crusin along in 6th at about 80mph the sound seemed to hit a nice lul until the next hill. :rotfl: