Im Going For A Job In. . . . . . . . .

..the Royal Air Force :thumbup:

I wanted to share this with SIDC as Iv been a crappy security guard for the last 4 years! :)

And I feel at 22, me as a person can do alot more with my life than sit at a desk signing people in and checking passes.

So the Career I have chosen is ICT Technician.

Apart from the 9 weeks Basic training at RAF Holton.

Ill start my trade training course at No1 radio school in Cosford. The foundation course is approx 12months and consists of, electronic principles, radar and radio principles (Already done this course at Orange) mathematics, satalite and data comminications, video conferancing, information systems and network administration and security. Also ill be working on material and latest software from Microsoft and Cisco.

Also I will be enrolled on a advanced apprentiship in communication technologys and Ill be completing a BTEC national award at level 3 in comminications and engineering/technology.

Quite alot of work and its deffinatly something I want to do as im allready doing a Network + ICT course in networking. And I feel with this basic understanding will help me go far :gay:

Sorry to bore you all but I have an assessment test comming up soon and im working on my numarical and verbal reasoning using practice tests and my own fitness. And I feel for once I am moving forward in my life and wondered what you guys thought of my new career move.?

Monki :D

Ahh Monki

Good Luck with the career choice. Never been in the forces so i cant comment on it but making choices for yourself and following them through has got to be better than letting things happen to you!

Sides as Donkey says, chicks dig a uniform, you cant fail to score and if you do... theres always the fleet air arm

Good job mate as my Little Rosie is hoping to start in the RAF in Jan and she also will be at RAF Holton as ot is just down the road for her as well. Rosie has passed her tests and stuff but she has got to go to Cambridge on the 18th to see the RAF Doc then check her fittness (which she has already passed) and off to RAF Holton she goes :)

Good job mate as my Little Rosie is hoping to start in the RAF in Jan and she also will be at RAF Holton as ot is just down the road for her as well. Rosie has passed her tests and stuff but she has got to go to Cambridge on the 18th to see the RAF Doc then check her fittness (which she has already passed) and off to RAF Holton she goes ;)

Halton is a grulling 9week basic but worth every minuet of it :o The stewards there do very nice meals so Iv heard :D

Iv been doing alot of circuit training my self to get in shape so to speak for the fitness test with the doc's. Being a security guard for 4 years doesnt help on the fitness side of things but im improving :D cheers Kip :D

Congratulations Monki! Hope you really enjoy your new career! :D

Just remember, if you find anything wrong with a Eurofighter.... it wasn't me ... honest ;)

HEHE yeh Ill be working on the communication systems and rador, so if ermmm that goes down . . . . . . . As shaggy says "It wasnt me" lol :o

That is the trade I am in. Well, I am what the trade evolved from, CIS Tech, which evolved from Eng TECH El! Good choice there, you will get some good qualifications for when you have had enough of the RAF! Let me prime you now, unless its changed, you can go to Halton with a half-decent level of fitness and the right attitude and breeze it, and you WILL go away a lot due to our 'obligations' overseas. But its a good trade, a good life and I would thoroughly recommend it. I joined up at 26 after working in factories for 7 years. Best thing I ever did.

How is your fitness, as the fitness test is every six months now, so instead of being unfit for four months and fudging it for the last two, you'd do better just getting your level up to the position where you can do at least 40 sit ups in a minute, 25 press ups and 9.10 on the bleep test (mens levels). Not hard for a strapping young person like you!

Well done mate, all my family have an RAF background but i joined the Army, my dear old Dad said i would not last 6 weeks! I Think i have proved him wrong as im just finishing a 23 year Career lol. Good choice of Service, there are pro and cons of being in the forces but as Rob has said the RAF do tend to treat you better, (Pink n Fluffy lol)

Good luck with the new Career and after your training im sure you will find yourself on a OP tour so keep safe. Im 39 and dont have any problems with the fitness in the Army. I can still do 8 miles with 25KG on my back in under 1 hour 50 mins!

kin el!!....8 miles ...25kg on yer back 1 hr 50 m.......i could be on me back in 20 mins i recon... just looking at the 25 kg!!!!!

not as fit as i was. i'm still recovering from a month ago when i put my gym together... ain't touched it since.

anyway yes monki, well done and go for it...wish i'd done something like that at that age.... nearly joined the police force 4 year back... i should of..

big regrets,....

good luck matey,... stick with it.

mark

Good luck pal, Ive serverd 7 and half years in RAF as a aircraft technician and did enjoy it.

Its a shame the sqn's are going downhill but that shouldnt really effect you!

Got loads of Qualifications and great memories plus some of the best friends you will ever meet!

Enjoy your time in the mob!

jonboy

FITNESS!!!! you joking janner? all you lads ever did was drink tea matey :blink:;):o:D and lose at footy.....

Someone has got to keep the good fitness levels up in Trage Group 4 dont they! By the way, why didnt you take a few tips off your PTI mate, Swillyboy??!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Welcome to the mob. I've done just over 20 years (still can't believe it) and enjoyed almost all of it. It is changing now from when i joined up but nothing stays the same. As a way of life it's still good, regular money and loads of opportunities to do other things. :lol: