Test Drove The My08 Sti Jdm Today

I took the JDM MY08 STi out for a test drive he are some of the Pic's I took of it

The Car was a Prototype type 20 (still under developement) remapping the new ECU is far more complex than previous ECU's also still tweaking the suspension.

The 2.0ltr engines power was at 350bhp for running in. It really pulled strong, more low end torque compare to my MY06 Type 20.

handling was very excellent on the country roads would love to have a track ride in one, Although I didn't have chance to tweak the AST suspension for Track settings.

Driving posistion is nicer seems lower in the seat than my Car

The Cabin space seems to have much more room than my Saloon.

Suprisingly the boot space was bigger that i thought it would be folding rear seats give more flexabilty.

looks far better in the flesh and the rear lights have been fixed

so quite a few positive for me really, some of you doubters ought to try it before you knock it IMHO

Tony

Nice mini review ;)

Rear light a big improvement.. probably the best you can hope for withotu re modelling the rear end to change the shape..

Dare I say it... I'd have one of those... :o (and that's the first time I've ever said that about the My08!)

Any price yet Tony on that model you took out?

Yes and no as it was a Type 20 and untill they finnished developing the Car no price sorted ;)

Unlike the UK/EU which has "Standard Spec" and " Top Spec" the JDM has many options mix and match

Prices ive seen nd heard

EU/UK Importers top spec £26,995 OTR

EU /car warehouse top spec £24,995 OTR

UK Dealer standard Spec £24,995 OTR

UK Dealer top spec £26,995 OTR

JDM bottom spec £24,995 OTR and varying spec upto £28,995 OTR

JDM top spec £26,995 OTR (PCM)

Tony

Excellent, thanks Tony ;)

Best pics yet, like the exhaust surrounds as well, looks the dogs in black :D:D

Rear lights are a huge improvement over the UK car we saw at the NEC, now if they stick some Recaro's in it & give the UK model at least 350BHP we may be tempted :o:P

Suppose it would be too much to ask them to weld up a couple of doors, that we'd be well happy lol :rotfl::P:D

So the prices are the same wherever you buy it then!

Not much point buying an import then!

There is not much to choose between them but the 2.0ltr is VERY solid, uprated VALVES and very tunabe, it may have less Road tax to Pay TBC, The JDM has a quicker Rack than the UK/EU, The top end of JDM was with recardos, full sports CAT exhaust system, remap and sat Nav. roughly 375bhp 8,400 red line :o

BUT will depend on how watered down the UK STi is as Standard ;) you may be "Underwhelmed" by the standard UK/EU 08 STi's performance so I'd budget for £2.5 +K for Exhaust, airbox and Remap.

I'll buy the car with the best bang per buck which has been an mport for the last 2 Cars, i was hoping

that Subaru UK could tempt me back with ahigh power PPP model.

IMHO

Tony

Best pics yet, like the exhaust surrounds as well, looks the dogs in black :D:D

It's not quite Black IIRC it's a VERY dark Blue :o

Rear lights are a huge improvement over the UK car we saw at the NEC, now if they stick some Recaro's in it & give the UK model at least 350BHP we may be tempted :rotfl::D

Recardos are an option, with the JDM you choose spec and not just achoice between Top and standard spec ;)

Tony

BHP figure looks good......

My 53 plate STi will be going into Subaru for an ABS sensor at some point this week so I will be looking at the new WRX as a loan car - Cannot ever see me buying one though.

Try not to make any preconceptions from the UK WRX ;)

The UK WRX and a STi JDM, well how can I say, it's like comapring a BMW 3 series 1.6l deisel to a M3 or a Ford focus 1.1 L to a Focus RS

Tony

Edited by T5NYW
still not totally convinced would have to see one in the flesh

True - 1st of all i did think i was looking at an Astra with a body kit on in the pics ... ;)

BUT - this looks nicer than Subarus stupid attempt of a standard non-turbo version which IS An ASTRA !

I still think as they really have changed the car in looks ... it should have a new " model " name - and this would sort out all people (inc myself) who were not sure about it .

Edited by TJ_666
Good mini write up that Tony ;)

I`m liking that a lot,not a fan of black but that looks the dogs and by far the best pic`s so far :hyper:

Actually it's Blue but near black ;)

Don`t think Subaru Uk did themselfs any favours at the Autosport Show with the base spec sti they had on show :D

I think there was a missing Subaru should have done something like Prodrive did last year with the RB320

Bused people from Autosport show to Prodrive Warwick and got a test drive in the New STi.

"If" the could get bums on seats there would be more that would change their minds

IMHO

Tony