M P G

Car: MY06 WRX.

After my remap and turbo upgrade I am getting pretty poor MPG. I used to get 22 - 23 with the standard set up but now its dropped to 18. With the price hikes and the change-over from 95 RON to V-power, that's a fair whack. Now you might say, "Aha! More power, more fuel." but I know people on here who are running bigger numbers than me and are geting improved MPG over their standard set ups and way more than me! Also, Andy told me when the car was being mapped that it would produce the same, if not better MPG. And lastly, I have not been booting it, in fact this week, I made an effort to drive like a granny, keeping off-boost for much of the time, other than the odd play. I ended up with 18 MPG - cr4p. If driving the car like a granny is going to give me 18 miles to the gallon, there is no telling what I'll get when I drive the thing properly.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

J

Edited by TheWelsho

You will always use more fuel in colder weather if you have a number of cold starts included in that tankfull ? The shorter the run you do daily the bigger influence that will have as the car is running on the richer warm up settings.

Other things that can influence it would be tyre pressure, different tyre size (knocking out miles calculation) compression ratio ? The WRX runs higher compression than the Sti as std but your new bottom end may be lower compression Sti type pistons ? VTA dump valve, I forget what type you have ? Higher viscosity engine oil, changing from say a 0-40 or the watery main dealer stuff to something like 10-60 will also make a noticeable difference.

Just a few to be thinking about !

Andy

You will always use more fuel in colder weather if you have a number of cold starts included in that tankfull ? The shorter the run you do daily the bigger influence that will have as the car is running on the richer warm up settings.

Other things that can influence it would be tyre pressure, different tyre size (knocking out miles calculation) compression ratio ? The WRX runs higher compression than the Sti as std but your new bottom end may be lower compression Sti type pistons ? VTA dump valve, I forget what type you have ? Higher viscosity engine oil, changing from say a 0-40 or the watery main dealer stuff to something like 10-60 will also make a noticeable difference.

Just a few to be thinking about !

Andy

Tyre Pressures Ok. Pistons are Wossner ones, don't think they are STi ones though, I'd need to ask Duncan. oil is Millers 15-50. Usual run-time is Glasgow to Paisley, 4 miles city-driving and motorway for the last 7 miles. DV is standard.

John, you running the aircon more just now? I find I am with the weather conditions and steamy windows (steady on). That will certainly affect your mileage. Might be a contributory factor.

Well, just the heating but not climate control or cold air. What MPG do you get Stephen?

Stopped counting a long time ago. Can get 220 miles before a fill usually, and that's me down to 1/4 tank. So whatever that works out at. I certainly get better than pre-remap, but mileage is lower just now due to weather and the cold starts. I'm tempted to hang a bucket out that back to catch the v-power that you can smell coming out the exhuast.

Is the 2.5 thirstier than the trusty 2?

I get 150 to the 1/4 tank mark ;)

But right now my 20 litre has lasted me 1 month

you better make the most of those figures peter as soon you will be in single figures when the chocolate 550 is born.

I haven't managed to work out my mpg but the first time i filled the car up i only got 200 miles out of 3/4 of a tank.

I've stopped thinking about it.

I'm trying that, honest!!!! Maybe I need therapy to help me let go! I spend more time looking at the fuel gauge and across to the tripmeter than I do with anything else. It's an obession and it has to stop! It has to STOP I SAY, STOP! HELP MEEEEEEEE!!!! ;)

Stop the mods I wanna get off!! :D:lol:

My last tank was just over 20mpg I'm sure I used to get just over 25mpg when I first got the car... ;)

Although in fairness it doesn't seem to make much difference for me how I drive the car.. I know that makes no sense, but it's probably because when I go out for a run, the longer journey does it a lot of good despite using more fuel than shorter journeies to work and back...

Tend to get aroudn 260miles before the wee light comes on just now...

P.s. Hoping to put together a MPG display on the center console later this year... is that wise!! ;)

Edited by ScoUK

I put £10 in just to go back and forth to work, one day I was running very late and thought I had enough to get me there but I was wrong. To cut a long story short I got 84 miles for my £10 but the car sat on the hard shoulder for most of the day.