The official Scottish Computer Builder Thread

Been out of the whole computer building scene a while so all the new technologys, ive a budget between £1000 - £1500 for say and want to build from the case up a killer pc for gaming so if there any idea please feel free to leave them here, been looing at a few liquid cooling cases, no idea on processers these day and so on

Bandit 

If you want a good water cooled gaming PC you need to up your budget. Say 2000-2500

Looking at 350 for the water cooling kit, considered the screen as well? 24" monitor min I would say as well. Running 2 20" atm myself.

Also Intel Core 2 Duo CPUs are the one to go, spec it right and you can get Qual core CPUs at reasonable budget.

Also you got looks and such to consider...

Its a big barrel of fish

Just trying to get a handle on what i need to spend n setups, £350 for liquid cooling is a little tae much at prescent my computer sounds like a helicopter when it overheats another one of PC worlds finast...... cant run all the new games that are coming out so its time to rebuild...

Whats then out in good air circulation cases under a ton,

Bandit 

TBH You arent going to get a quiet air cooling system these days martin as the top CPUs and more so now GPUs have massive heatsinks and very noisey fans.

Also 350 is a reasonable price for a good Water cooling system, you want to water block the CPU, GPU, North chipset and south chipset and have a good rad with a good pump. Skimping on that makes the system little point to buy as you will end up having to use more and more fans to cool it.

Also you dont take chances on crappy parts for such a system, even with a non conductive liquid [;)]

Also if you go air cooling there is some nice cases out there atm, but if you want a good system your going to need to spend the readys.

top end is no longer very loud mate. air cooling with heat pipes has moved a long way in the last few years. also are we to budget a decent monitor here or are you wanting just the tower. also £1000 - £1500 on a computer is like saying you have got 10 - 15 grand to buy a car. thats a big difference in target market so which end of the budget are we aiming for.

already got a few ideas for specs in my head but let me know and I'll rattle of a couple of build options for you. 

Grant i think the whole old Destop will be Redundant as i dont think there is anything that is salvage squad to do to it.

As for the budget id say to narrow it down maybe £1300ish give or take on a base box, ive already got a DVi 19" flatscreen which does me well, but maybe in time a nice 22" would be nice but not at the moment

Bandit

Done.

CPU:         Intel Core 2 Duo E6600             £150 (Best bank for buck CPU on the market right now, Quad core not worth it yet, wait for 1333 FSB)

Motherboard:   Asus P5N32-E PLUS Sli               £117 (Room for SLI Expansion and Future 1333 FSB CPU)

RAM: Corsair 2GB DDR2 Moninator 8500C5   £130 (Room for future 1333 FSB CPU and can add another 2GB later)

Graphics Card:  BFG GeForce 8800 GTX 768 MB   £382   (Life Time Warranty and pre overclocked to boot. Can add another later for SLI - Not worth it unless you get a 24 inch screen or above though)

Hard Drive x2: Western Digital Caviar SE16 500gb £131   (Will run in RAID 0 for improved performance)

Sound Card: Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer 7.1 £89 (Has the added X-Ram for cool features but none of the less useful add ons for the increased price, hope you have good speakers mind you)

Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 750W SLI £130   (The best Manufacturer of Power Supplies period, finally available in the UK)

DVD RW: Asus 18x Black   £23 (I chose a black case so I chose this to match. DVD drives are much the same these days and only differ in price for about £3 so its up to you)

Case: Lian-Li PC V1100 Plus in Black £153   (My favourite case ever, Still the best money can buy but it is defiantly worth it when you see the build quality, Case is a personal choice though but don't skimp on it, wish I had one)

Grand Total £1305

Thoughts?

With regards to air cooling,

This is my air cooled rig. The case is the Antec Nine Hundred Gaming case £65.00, CPU cooler is Zalman CNPS700 £42.00 (+ carriage). The case is very quiet and i can't hear the CPU fan even under full load. The loudest part of my rig is the power supply, and then the GFX card (GX2 7950 1gb) which you can hear when you start a game (with the speakers off).

Cooling is a major part in making your rig stable, do not consider using the fan that comes with the CPU or using onboard sound buy a sound card simluar to the last post. The only problem with the case i have is if somone smokes near it (it's a bit of a dust collecter).

One last point, you might be better off buying a full system from Overclockers.co.uk, they will overclock it to it's full potential before shipping. You should also read the customers reviews of products and parts on that site.

Before new case (with the side panel off!)

beforenewcase.jpg

After new case

afternewcase.jpg

Other pics of case

newcase1.jpg

newcase2.jpg

200mm top fan

newcase3.jpg

lucky devil that case is only a few weeks old. stunning piece of machinery. I'm just wary of fans that are not 80, 92 or 120mm as they will be a bugger to replace in 2-3 years when the bearings go if you run 24/7 or 5 years if you turn it off when your done with it.

The stock Intel coolers are fine is the case is well ventilated and you don't overclock. As for buying a pre built system from OCUK that's where I got the prices for all that equipment from funily enough. There after sales service may suck but they are almost always the cheapest (plus there site is very easy to use for a quick build, you would of course shop around for each part after its decided what you need) 

As for your GFX card being loud you would pick one of the louder cards (hey I would have to if buying when that came out) and a case with perforated side panels.

The case I picked is solid with good cooling and due to the layered side panel design is good at keeping the noise out as well. But yeah its hard to justify the price apart from the whole OMFG I WANT ONE ITS 1337!!!!111 factor. (translates as pretty damn cool looking in english)

I'm running a particulalry aged Chieftec/Antec Dragon full tower case with thermaltake butterfly power supply with variable fans, and I have a Zalmann super flower copper cooler and 3 other 80mm case fans wired up. I have all 4 of those fans wired up to a Zalman controller. I have the PSU and all 4 fans set to the lowest I can get them down at 1400 revs for the cpu fan, 1600 for the case one I monitor and a mere 700 for the PSU. Result is VERY quiet PC with the noisiest bloody hard drives in the world.

I use 2x Western Digital 150 GB Raptors mate. If you think 7200 rpm drives can be loud you should here these things at 10,000 rpm. Antec Sonata II tower though with the full sound proofing kit sure helps shut them up mind you.

Never was a fan of the older thermaltake power supplies but my fileserver is in a Thermaltake Xaser III Super Tower. At the time it was the best air cooling money could buy with 7 x 80mm fans on the case!!!!

Yeah, you think thats fast or noisey...

check this out!!!

http://staff.washington.edu/sbtroy/turbine...vX%205.2.1).avi

with reference to the following page:  http://staff.washington.edu/sbtroy/turbine/turbine.html

Its just a bit faster than a raptor, your better checking 15000rpm Seegate Cheeta drives, snip at 450 for a PC/workstation SATA version, god knows how loud but it would be rip roaring fast [;)

would rather go solid state for a OS drive / Games and then just use standard 7200rpm for storage. Better performance where it would matter.

Large 15k sas arrarys are great for extreme high IO systems but solid state will server the enthusiast games in a few years.