The official Scottish Computer Builder Thread

Dale, I used to build my own machines, and indeed bought a very nicely specced custom built one a few years back too, but unless you're a gamer, or want something in particular for high-end sound/video editing etc. then just buy a standard Dell.

I know that many of the fanboys will chirp up with "Doesn't Ever Last Long", but the build quality is fine and the price can't really be sniffed at.

Remember and take the basic machine in your budget though - adding extra drives/memory/etc. with Dell has always been the expensive part of the game. If you want them then do it later. Remove the upgraded warranty they put on by default too.

my power supply packed up on Saturday taking the motherboard with it, so just thought feck it time to upgrade

2 x 8800 GT GFX cards 

Duel Core 6 gig AMD processor

2 GIG Ram

750 Watt power supply

ASUS MOBO

plus a few other bits and bobs and a new case [:(

I certainly don't advocate buying a dell for gaming. Not even casual gaming. But if you want a standard desktop for Internet, photos etc. etc. then you'll not go wrong. I've never had a problem upgrading them in terms of drives and memory, but obviously the cases, mobos etc. are to their spec so your arse is out the window for upgrading those bits. But then why would you want to when in 3 years time they'll sell you a new box for next to nothing with the rest of the gubbins upgraded, and you've then got a spare one for the kids/wife/parents.

Buying a big rig for standard use would be like gettng a Mclaren F1 for going down the shops. But then buying a Daewoo to take to the Nurburgring is equally daft [:(]