First Impressions - Gb270

Lo all

I picked up my new GB270 (no. 28) on Dec 17th and have to date done a little under 1200 miles in it. Here's what I think of it - I welcome any comments from the community!

My Subaru history extends to a 98 Classic Turbo (lovely car that was) a 54 plate forester 2.5 XT and the current car. My other automotive ownership itinerary extends from sporty stuff to the mundane. I have just under 18 years of driving experience under my belt.

The very first thing I noticed was the utterly crap paint job on the car. For a "special" edition motor, there was very little paint actually applied to the exterior. It looked like "orange peel" all over the car and didn't look particularly lustreful either. Pretty poor effort there Subaru.

The car divides opinion in my family on looks. The wifey thinks it's nice looking; I think it's a bit over the top. The silver front end and lower chin spoiler do make it look fairly distinctive. Unless you're a Scoob affictionado, there's not really much to distinguish it from the rear apart from the rear wing and the badging. The badging won't mean much to anyone unless they know their cars - that gets my vote since I like the Q car approach over the austentatious wing and spolier efforts. Begs the question why I never went for a Spec D then eh?

My first impressions on sitting in the car were that it is a huge improvement in the interior over the 98 I had. There's not much imprvement on the forester and to be honest, it's a dhame they never used teh forester stalks - if they had, it would have upped the quality feel a little. The stalks are the same parts as used at lest since 98. That said, the Impreza was never known for its interior - it was always all about the drive train wasn't it? The seats are standard Impreza affairs, fairly supportive all round, quite cosseting and now with "an uppy downy" adjustment to get that perfect driving position. I found myself leaning slightly over to the gear lever at times which was odd - I'm average size at 5-10 and prefer a position away from the wheel. It might be odd ergonomics or just me.

The gearbox felt agricultural. Heavy, a little imprecise but now that i'm used to it it feels pretty good. The quick shift is a misnomer - perhaps it should be called a "slightly shorter and marginally quicker than the standard shift". As with most subarus, the drive train shunt on shifting is still there - I always feel that I'm un-necessarily hammering the drive train by getting the changes in as fast as I can. This is no differenet from either of my other two scoobs, although the shorter shift does make a slight difference.

The engine is awesome. A huge improvement over the 2.0 and it feels much tougher and better than the 177brake variety that was in my forester. It pulls strongly from around 2500 rpm and whilst I haven't caned it hugely, there doesn't seem to be much point in taking it past 5 or so k rpm, as the rush of acceleration tails off fairly quickly. It would be interesting to see the power/torque curves for this particular engine - I haven't dug them out for it yet. The burble is rather nice and doesn't overwhelm either - correctly judged in my view. You won't be setting any car alarms off in this car that's for sure.

The Stereo is pants. I never got the upgraded ICE pack and that doesn't bother me. Others considering this car that do like their music should upgrade it. There's only two front speakers as far as I can hear.....

Top speed (bless the German Autobahns) does appear to be the listed 143. I think it's governed as I felt a distinct cut off in power under acceleration. It could go quicker in this guise as the top end and governor is around 500rpm before the red line. It'd be a nice upgrade to a) lift the speed governor ;) give it a little more power (50 brake would be nice) and c) raise the redline - forged pistons perhaps and an ECU remap?

The rather annoying and distracting trait that is a high pitched wind noise from 95mph and onwards is ever present. This was a "feature" of my forester but I never recall this effect on my 98 Impreza. I can't think where it's coming from - the scoop? the wipers? god knows - it is a bloody annoying noise though.

Tyres - I have a feeling that the wheels might be suffering from porosity - be interesting to hear if any other owner has suffered this effect. The tyres are consistently losing around 3 PSI in 24 hours. Front nearside seems the worst affected.

Chassis and handling. i am no driving god, and haven't obviously pushed this car anywhere near its limits. So far I have discovered that the car rolls more than I recall the 98 doing into corners and is quite fidgety over uneven road surfaces. Coming through Belgium on the way back home, there's a particular stretch of motorway that I have to back right off on it was that crap. Ride isn't overly harsh, but undulations seem to have a greater and longer lasting effect on the vehicles stance as you push on. Perhaps it's the extra weight it's carrying over the previous generation cars? One thing that is a big improvement over the 98 spec car is that the nose doesn't make a bid for the sky under a heavy right foot but just plows straight ahead.

Overall, there are a lot of niggles with the car and minor distratctions that degrade the overall warm comfy feeling you get with owning a new car. The wind noise at Autobahn speeds is very annoying and detracts from the quality of the car (although the quality of the interior lets it down already). All that said, it's a nice drive so far, i'm looking forward to putting some more miles on it and promise you all that all the negative comments must be taken with the perspective that if I didn't like subarus I'd never have owned three of them! I like 'em faults and all. I do hope the next gen car is much better resolved than this one though.

As said - I welcome any comments you might have. Thanks for reading ;)

nice write-up ;)

The bit about tyre pressures sounds worrying, especially if you've been giving it some heavy autobahn exercise.

I had been tempted to go to the wagon version (6-7 years of previous wagons), but just couldn't get over that awful black chav look.

Hopefully a few more GB270 owners will pop in and share their thoughts before too long?

Very good review there!

Unbiased and truthful!

the interiors were updated on the bugeye and have been fiddled with slightly over the years but more or less the same since 2001. The 2.5 in the newer cars is really nice I agree, turbo lag is less noticeable but sadly with the WRX turbo is goign to run out of breath pretty quickly above 5k as you've noticed ;)

As for the noise at higher speeds.. That was a similar complaint to many RB320 owners who eventually tracked it down to a combination of roof spoiler and rear spoiler.. Mostly the roof spoiler (Located on the rear window) forcing the air down onto the boot lid for downforce..

Thats a pretty cracking review. ;)

bit of a shame that you had noticed so many bad points about the car, I cant say that I have really been that convinced about the GB270, looks wise, I think that out of all teh Sepcials, that this one would be bottom of my list, although, the wagon, I have to say that I like...

Oh, and the paint? Subarus are NOTORIOUS for having crap paint... its always been thin... shame...

Hi Hoodlum, I got my GB270 back in sept. The paint work on mine was perfect from what i could see but i'm no expert. I used to have a classic import WRX and like you say the engine is a lot better with the 2.5. The pick up being lower so easier to drive.

Mine is number 58 and i am very pleased with it. Yes they do have faults but thats scoobies. ;)

Thankyou all for the comments. I had wondered what sort of reception my words may have received and I'm pleased that they've gone down well. I think there's often too much rose tinted glasses wearing that goes on with each marque - I'm as guilty as the next man with this too! A bit more of an update as I put the miles on:

Good points

Engine. That engine really really grows on you. It pulls like a train from nicely low down the rev range. They must have done something to the turbo as there is noticeably less lag on this engine than there was on my similarly engined Forester. Pulling power from 80mph to beyond 100 is impressive, even in fifth. It's an engine for lazy drivers that's for sure!

The Heating and demisting function. Another excellent improvement here. Defrosting this morning took around five minutes from a zero degree frost. The heating also kicks in and warms up really early on; often before I'm much out of the end of my road on my way to work.

Controls. I like the way that the driver is in control. By this I mean that the stalks when pulled don't indicate for example three hundred times when you only wanted to do one or two flashes. This makes the thanking of other motorists/truckers an easy experience. Rep mobiles of the vauxhall type insist on removing this ability from the driver and indicating at least three times whether the driver wanted to or not. I also like the control over the wipers. This car does not think (badly) for you - it leaves you, the driver in total control. I applaud Subaru for not going down the gimmicky route that other mainstream rep mobile makers have stepped.

Bad Points

The halogen headlights are crap. Very bright but they end dramatically short of where you'd like them to end. This means you tend to drive on high beam whenevr possible at all even on reasonably light nights. It does however mean that the road ahead of you as far as the beam falls is very nicely lit.

Fuel tank capacity - This has always been a bugbear of mine. At least make it 70 litres or give it the ability to do 300miles per tankful regularly and with a reasonably heavy right foot too. I'd rather spend time driving it than filling it up every 200 or so miles :thumbup:

I would be very much interested in what other owners have found with their cars - wagon or saloon.

Cheers

Hi Hoodlum,

I have got number 248 and i have just done 1300 miles.. This is the first time i have owned a scooby, alway's wanted one and since this was the only chance to get a new old style one i went for it.

I have also noticed that noise when doing those speeds that is rather anoying i tell you. Agree with your good and bad points also, i had a Focus-ST2 before this and the lights on that were so much better.

I drive to edinburgh for work nearly every day and the getting 250 miles from a tank is a bit of a pain, but i just put that down to it being a scooby. Could be worse could have a Evo 360, guy in work has one and he has to fill the tank so much more often than me.

I feel the scooby can be bit sluggish when on the motorway this is compaired to my old car. I could be imagining that mind you..

Edited by plimpix
Thankyou all for the comments. I had wondered what sort of reception my words may have received and I'm pleased that they've gone down well. I think there's often too much rose tinted glasses wearing that goes on with each marque - I'm as guilty as the next man with this too! A bit more of an update as I put the miles on:

Good points

Engine. That engine really really grows on you. It pulls like a train from nicely low down the rev range. They must have done something to the turbo as there is noticeably less lag on this engine than there was on my similarly engined Forester. Pulling power from 80mph to beyond 100 is impressive, even in fifth. It's an engine for lazy drivers that's for sure!

The Heating and demisting function. Another excellent improvement here. Defrosting this morning took around five minutes from a zero degree frost. The heating also kicks in and warms up really early on; often before I'm much out of the end of my road on my way to work.

Controls. I like the way that the driver is in control. By this I mean that the stalks when pulled don't indicate for example three hundred times when you only wanted to do one or two flashes. This makes the thanking of other motorists/truckers an easy experience. Rep mobiles of the vauxhall type insist on removing this ability from the driver and indicating at least three times whether the driver wanted to or not. I also like the control over the wipers. This car does not think (badly) for you - it leaves you, the driver in total control. I applaud Subaru for not going down the gimmicky route that other mainstream rep mobile makers have stepped.

Bad Points

The halogen headlights are crap. Very bright but they end dramatically short of where you'd like them to end. This means you tend to drive on high beam whenevr possible at all even on reasonably light nights. It does however mean that the road ahead of you as far as the beam falls is very nicely lit.

Fuel tank capacity - This has always been a bugbear of mine. At least make it 70 litres or give it the ability to do 300miles per tankful regularly and with a reasonably heavy right foot too. I'd rather spend time driving it than filling it up every 200 or so miles :iagree:

I would be very much interested in what other owners have found with their cars - wagon or saloon.

Cheers

Hoodlum,

I must apologise for stealing your words as my own in the last post - do not know how that happened.

Have had my GB270 Sportswagon since late November 2007 and am delighted with it.

I have found the paintwork and trim etc to be faultless and the Urban grey and Black wheels combination are/were the selling pont for me (and my wife).

I had a 2001 PPP'd Bugeye WRX for 5 years and a 2006 Spec B Legacy for 18 months - so have some Subaru experience to compare this new car against.

the new WRX is much better built than the Legacy, which rattled and squeaked to distraction.

the bucket seats in my earlier WRX were better than the new GB270 Alcantara/Leather specials, wth regard holding you in place whilst cornering.

the new Gb270 engine is great and I think it must have AVCS (variable valve timing) - because it is so tractable at low revs? or is this the 'drive by wire' throttle?

I am only just over the 1000 miles and have not realy opened it up yet - but i do find it seems to strangle or choke as it reaches 4000rpm, if the throttle is opened up significantly.

headlights are good - so is gearbox and shifter.

i think the car rolls a bit too much so am thinking of fitting solid rear drop links (as my 2001 WRX) to see if this improves things.

hope you all continue to enjoy your GB270s.

The rather annoying and distracting trait that is a high pitched wind noise from 95mph and onwards is ever present. This was a "feature" of my forester but I never recall this effect on my 98 Impreza. I can't think where it's coming from - the scoop? the wipers? god knows - it is a bloody annoying noise though.
where the window contacts the door seals maybe?

Hi Hoodlum,

Mines not a GB270 i know, but i have had my 06WRX from new (4-3-06),i myself have come from a 99 Classic wagon with PPP (thats the bit i miss).

I agree the engine pulls well from low down, but like you say, runs out of puff at around 5000rpm.

i know its easier to pick faults/dislikes but hey, its in our nature.

standard WRX seats...crap...you feel like you are sat on them rather than in them, nowhere near as good as the MY99 seats, they are height adjustable as was the previous, but the y are adjustable upwards for all you short a***s (im 6`4") so mine is down at the bottom and i still feel high up.

The bonnet has a tendancy to lift at higher speeds, quite a lot to be honest.

The paint doesnt seem to bad, nearly 2 yrs on (daily drive), minimal stone chips although i have a couple of dings in the doors from gits on carparks. ;)

Standard exhaust is way too quiet, i have put a PPP backbox on, much better but not loud.

it feels much better put together, more solid.

and if you are doing a long distance, much better than the classic.(apart from those seats that is)

the ride in the back is quite harsh...apparently,so my youngest says, never sat there myself..lol

oh...i need to change my wheels...just so boring... ;)

i could go on.

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

Figured I would add my comments to this thread rather than start a new one :banana: The below comments are on my GB270 Wagon (54/100) which I picked up on the 19th of Jan 08.

Firstly, to agree with Hoodlum - the paintwork on the car is rather poor - the orange peel is the worst I have seen in a while! Having said that however, the Urban Grey looks stunning when clean. It has a chameleon effect depending on the light and weather conditions. From being a bright sparkly thing in direct sunshine to being a moody sea green/grey colour in very overcast rainy conditions. I personally like it.

I too wasn't sure about the wings and some of the bolted on paraphernalia, but am getting used to it :rotfl: I also prefer the Q-car approach, and having things go much faster than they look really appeals. After the run in period (almost 1600 miles now), I feel they have got it mostly right.

I haven't had any rattles and squeaks - apart from the rear luggage cover squeaking - solved by rolling it up when driving :P Haven't tried oiling it yet.

The ICE is just erm..... pathetic is probably the most polite term for it, but hopefully when I get a bit more budget, I will replace with something worthy :P

The engine is remarkably tractable, and pulls very strongly from 2,500 rpm, although does flatten out around the 5,500 rpm mark - I haven't hammered it up around the top end yet however - still changing before the 6k mark at most, normally 5-5.5k, whilst the engine still beds in a bit :banana2: I will be giving it a much harder time after about 3,000 miles, and can comment more at that point.

Personally, as much as I like the easy nature of the engine - it's so easy to go from 60 to 100 in 5th - I still miss the good old 2.0 rush at the top end.

The Prodrive exhaust gives a nice sound at idle and just above, but gets lost in the engine whine (sounds like a supercharger, not a turbocharger) after around 2.5k rpm. bit of a shame, as it's a nice engine to listen to. As I said, I prefer Q-Car, but it seems like it could do with something slightly more audible when giving it some beans :D

The short (or as Hoodlum put it - slight shorter) shifter has smoothed out a lot and feels way less agricultural now - I don't tend to hammer home my shifts anyway, but it seems fast enough for heel and toe downshifts.

The steering is a bit light for me - I can't feel as much as i would like, but do feel confident with the car's grip on the road. I haven't pushed to the limits yet - suspect I will find myself a track to do that on rather than be a 'tard near any hedges :thumbup: I do feel some understeer round tighter corners, but haven't been brave enough to try balance on the throttle yet - not sure what the car is going to do, and don't want to find out with a bill attached :hl:

I don't know if it's possible to have these cars more rear biased, but that is what I would prefer, so any advice is welcome :) My last 2 cars were RWD, and I quite liked being able to get the back out a bit :)

Would I want anything different? Well - definitely more power, but I am a bit of a junkie - lol ! Maybe at some point in the future, I will be back asking for advice on how to fix this particular bugbear! :P

Other than power I think just better ICE, fewer spoilers and side skirts, bit more noise, but overall, I have been very pleased with the car, from the price, to the performance, to the handling and even quality of the interior (well put together if a little dated).

I think it is probably one of the most fun cars to own and drive in it's price range.

Hope the above is of some interest to people - if so, I will update this over time as I get a bit more familiar with my Scoob!!

Thanks for reading

:thumbup:

Edited by gison

As stated, a pretty comprehensive write-up, well-written too. That said, I felt it erred rather more on the negative side. After I finished reading it, I was left wondering why you bought it as many of the points stated would be noticable before 1200 miles of ownership. I guess your love of the Jap performance-beasts allowed you to see past the flaws.

I have a MY06 WRX and thought seriously about the GB270. The reason I didn't go for it in the end was the fact that I would have had to trade in my car with a further £8k! No thanks! My current car was already modded past the spec of the GB270 anyway, so it would have been a backward step, other than the fact it would have been brand-new. I had an engine problem with mine that was more than likely a result of the mods, so I did the right thing and repaired it myself. It cost me £2300 for forged pistons and some other engine goodies. I also spent some more money on replacing my Tein springs (better than the GB270's Prodrive ones if you ask me) with Tein Superstreet coilovers and installed Brembros on the fronts. All in all, I spent 4k fixing it up and modding it further (stereo and speakers too!). This, it seemed to me, made more sense that taking a backward step at the cost of 8 grand for a car just over a year newer than the one I had. All things considered, I belive I made the right choice.

John

Edited by TheWelsho
All things considered, I belive I made the right choice.

John

Think I would agree with you John - if there had been another way of me getting a wagon that was 'reliably' modded, I would have done so and saved some cash, but there is just no way to know how these beasties have been treated, and I needed a reliable family car as well as a bit of a play thing, hence my choice, but if I had been in your position, I am sure I would have done the same - no point in the 'backward' step as you put it :thumbup:

Think I would agree with you John - if there had been another way of me getting a wagon that was 'reliably' modded, I would have done so and saved some cash, but there is just no way to know how these beasties have been treated, and I needed a reliable family car as well as a bit of a play thing, hence my choice, but if I had been in your position, I am sure I would have done the same - no point in the 'backward' step as you put it :o

:thumbup: