sidc official fly fishing thread

as above im getting back into flyfishing and for the life of me cant remember the exact way to tie the droppers on, i can remember the 4 twists and the loop tried yesterday with no joy

any help much appreciated

cheers G

Showing you would be easy but explaining difficult but i'll try.

Hold the leader and the dropper nylon parellel, make a loop then twist through 4 times and pull tight after wetting it and that should be it.

Hope that makes sense.

Steve

Found this Fishing-Knots-Water-Knot-3.gif

Trim the excess and make sure you leave the length after the knot pointing towards the end of the line.

I generally use 3 on a 15ft leader (shorten it if you are just getting back into it) with the droppers being not much more than 6" from the main line.

www.wild-fishing-scotland.co.uk

www.completefisher.com

www.sexyloops.com

Grant you should change the thread name to .... "SIDC official fly fishing thread" (like the football one) It could be good [:D]

I grow up right on the Tay so have been fishing sinse i was a wee boy just never with a fly, but just recently took up fly fishing seen as this place http://www.forbesofkingennie.com/Fishings.html is about 2min's away from my house, im now hooked, got a total of three decent fish and needing more.

Wee jake has been nipping my head for ages "can we go fishin dad", "soon son" !!  So i got him a wee spinning rod and a wee poke'o'tackle, so i got him up on thursday morning we had were porridge and set off, went to the anything goes pool with a 2 fish limit for each of us he was on the bait and i was on a fly, after 4/5 hours jake had got the fish limit for the both of us, he got 4[:D] and i got none[:@] none the less it was a great fist days fishin for lucky jake !!

Grant you should change the thread name to .... "SIDC official fly fishing thread" (like the football one) It could be good [:D]

I grow up right on the Tay so have been fishing sinse i was a wee boy just never with a fly, but just recently took up fly fishing seen as this place http://www.forbesofkingennie.com/Fishings.html is about 2min's away from my house, im now hooked, got a total of three decent fish and needing more.

Wee jake has been nipping my head for ages "can we go fishin dad", "soon son" !!  So i got him a wee spinning rod and a wee poke'o'tackle, so i got him up on thursday morning we had were porridge and set off, went to the anything goes pool with a 2 fish limit for each of us he was on the bait and i was on a fly, after 4/5 hours jake had got the fish limit for the both of us, he got 4[:)] and i got none[:@] none the less it was a great fist days fishin for lucky jake !!

Good idea about the new thread...

JC you should be happy tha Jake gave you a beaten because he will be hooked now.

And also you could use wee Jake as an excuse for going fishing...

JC....sweetheart i'm going out to do a bit of fishing.

Mrs JC......no you ain't the dishes not done yet.

JC....no way that's your job.

Mrs Jc....who is going to look after the wane whilst i doing the house work then.

Jake....mum i'm bored,can i get dad to take me fishing.

JC....i'll look after Jake then.

Mrs JC....ok then,don't be late back.

Happy dayz all round i think[Y]

thanks guys , i was twistin the 2 bits together then puttin the loop in it doh![:$]

i was up at fairlie moor on friday was blowing a gale so fished a single fly  caught 2 and dropped another  trying to get my net out lol not bad for a couple of hours fishing.

i cant wait till the weather changes and get some top of the water action [H]

JC whos grant[:|]

You could try using metal rings to tie your droppers on to. These rings are tiny and weigh practically nothing. This has the advantage of being able to completely change the dropper if it gets too short after af ew fly changes.

I use one when dry fly fishing. I use a tapered lader with a ring on the end and then i tie a tippet on to that.

lol jc im saying nothing about gays lol

think im gonna go wet my line tomorrow  morning if the weathers ok tomorrow

i took it up again hoping my daughter will get intrested in it 6 weeks  summer hols is a long time to amuse a wean [:'(]

ive seen those metal rings might give them a go  never used a tapered leader  before either might give that a go too

peter id love some flies  ,  building up my collection again isnt cheap

JC are peters flies any good mate

Pmsl at your last statement matey people might start talking [:$] but if you mean go for a spot of fishing id be up for that

cracking morning this morning hoping im still feeling awake when i get home later[H]

Fished today with not much luck in really windy conditions up the hill.

Started with two wets and moved a few fish who had a look. Put on a couple of nymphs and fished static for a bit but nothing was taking.

Nice to get out though.

Fish001.jpg

G,T Peters flys are really good, I'm still on Peters CDC's there killer dry flys, and not had a chance to try out the rest yet but they do look good [:)]

Graig something along they lines, lol [:D]

Was fishing tonite it was a wee bit windy, but that didn't stop me bringing home my best fish yet and the best fight, A perfect 3.5 Lbs rainbow, Great [:(] The dry flys deffo make for exciting fishing !

JC, we will have to go out sometime, I have fished Kingennie many times, just not got my act together this year yet.

Intermediate line works well in the windy conditions there.

did a couple of hours on the tay at Kenmore on saturday but the wind was a killer.

Dougster - I use the metal rings and just use the same knot that I use to tie the flies on with. It saves on needing a whole new cast if onr dropper gets a little short.

Daz