[:'(]

GT...do you want to meet up one morning and go for a quick one[;)]

[;)]

[:P][;)]

pmsl jc i knew someone would take that out of context

peter wupped me 2-0 at the lake of mentieth last night

loads of fly life on the water but i think it was too cold for the fish to rise

[:'(]

Had a good time but so hoped for G.T to get 1 but the Lake is like that to first timers and hope it has put you off.

Next time should be warmer and the rainbows should be rising.

Bit of a fly fisher myself, although not done as much as would have liked over the past two years.  I fish up at Crainlargh(may be spelt wrong!)  My dad is the secretary of the CSAA. We have the two lochs before the village and 5 miles of river up to tyndrum.  We also have the loch down the hill on the oban road just after tyndrum.  So lots of free trout and salmon fishing for me.  Last time up there on the boat I was fishing for trout on the fly, while my dad was spinning for the Salmon that was jumping around us.  As I was slowly about to lift my tail fly (size 14 pheasant tailed nymph)  The salmon rose right in front of the boat and took my fly.  It was around 12lb and I only had 3lb line!

After 45 mins and a aching arm, the feker snapped my line[:'(]  Needless to say its the closest I have come to launching my rod into the water!!

Would be good to get a day out, mabey a bit of stocky bashing.  I can also get guest permits for Crainlargh, either on foot, or the boat.  As long as I am wish you though!

Dave

[Y]

Bit of a fly fisher myself, although not done as much as would have liked over the past two years.  I fish up at Crainlargh(may be spelt wrong!)  My dad is the secretary of the CSAA. We have the two lochs before the village and 5 miles of river up to tyndrum.  We also have the loch down the hill on the oban road just after tyndrum.  So lots of free trout and salmon fishing for me.  Last time up there on the boat I was fishing for trout on the fly, while my dad was spinning for the Salmon that was jumping around us.  As I was slowly about to lift my tail fly (size 14 pheasant tailed nymph)  The salmon rose right in front of the boat and took my fly.  It was around 12lb and I only had 3lb line!

After 45 mins and a aching arm, the feker snapped my line[:'(]  Needless to say its the closest I have come to launching my rod into the water!!

Would be good to get a day out, mabey a bit of stocky bashing.  I can also get guest permits for Crainlargh, either on foot, or the boat.  As long as I am wish you though!

Dave

got the makings of a fine sidc official flyfishers day out there mate

[H][Y]

I still haven't caught my first salmon yet but do plan to do it this year.

Yeah, it aint easy.  I was fishing for them for 10 years as a kid before I got the first one in the boat.  A nice 18lb one.  I lost count of the amount I lost though!!

It can be pretty boring salmon fishing out on the boat though.  You just troll up and down the loch at min speed just off the shoreline.  Having the fish finder makes it a little more bareable  Although up in Crainlargh I usually break it up by doing a bit of fly fishing for the trout just behind the weed beds at either end of the loch.  If there is a hatch on, then its good sport!

Dave

I live about 5 mins from the tweed and used to work as a ghillie so have had a few and nothing beats standing in the water up 2 where ur family jewels used to be in november with an iced up line.

Now i just stocky bash in the summer.

dtabbitt, what's the script with fishing the River Fillan at Crianlarich? 

I take it you mean Loch Dochart and Loch Lubhair before the village and Lochan na Bi out of Tyndrum?

Any info on some day tickets would be great. I'm mainly interested in wild brown trout and not salmon or stokies.

I have trolled on Loch Awe looking for a ferox but only got bows that had escaped from the fish farm.

TIA

dtabbitt, what's the script with fishing the River Fillan at Crianlarich? 

I take it you mean Loch Dochart and Loch Lubhair before the village and Lochan na Bi out of Tyndrum?

Any info on some day tickets would be great. I'm mainly interested in wild brown trout and not salmon or stokies.

I have trolled on Loch Awe looking for a ferox but only got bows that had escaped from the fish farm.

TIA

You can get day tickets from the Ben More Bar, or the Rod and Reel.  That means you can fish the three lochs and the River from Loch Dochart up to tyndrum.  Only members can use the boats on the lochs, which I recommend for the Salmon(trolling) and great trout sport in Loch Lubhair behind the weed beds.  Loch Dochart is pretty unfishable now due to the silt washed down from the river.  In fact I walked over to the island with the ruins a few years ago when the river was very low!!

If you wish to join I can PM you my dads address.  I think its 35 pound a year, but 45 when you join.  Which for the amount of water and fish is a bargain.  That also allows you to fish Loch Ard and Hairlaw Dam on the outskirts of Glasgow.

The club stock Lochan Na Bi once a year with 1500 prime brown trout around the 1.5 - 2 lb mark, from the Howie Town Fishery.  Its a well wintered and exposed loch so most of the natural brownies are small and skinny. 

Salmon only really start getting caught from May onwards, and I think the members reported nearly 100 caught from the loch alone last year.

I do fish to lochs alot out on the boat, but I love fishing the river with fly from the Viaduct in the town up about 3 miles towards tyndrum.

If anyone else is interested in joining the club, let me know and I will pass on my dads address.

Dave

Many thanks for the info. I think I'll stick to day tickets but these are not on my map. 

"You can get day tickets from the Ben More Bar, or the Rod and Reel."

They are both in the village at Crainlarigh.  Ben More is just as you enter the village coming from the Callendar side and the Rod and Reel is in the middle of the village across from the fire station.

If you are heading up in a weekend for some of the river fishing let me know.  Might meet up and I can show you some of my favorite parts to fish the fly.  Sure I could manage a free day ticket to!

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

had a great days fishing with peter at the lake of mentieth today

result 7-0 to peter he is a jammy bassa lol only kidding matey you fished  well today

i did drop 2 and caught a perch that would fit on the palm of your hand [:$]

still had a fantastic day out and cant wait to go back again

the run up to Aberfoyle in the chinese 400 was amazing just sat there and shook my head and giggled peters car is just awesome.

nice wee incident at the jamieson onterchange this morning with a red scooby wagon , bit strange seeing him coming across our carriage way backwards think he mustve lost it coming off the roundabout just glad no one was hurt

First fash was caught on my own CDC shuttlecock(yellow owl).Then it turned cold and fash stopped rising[:'(]

Next 4 was on wee pullers(pinky....one of my own tyings too)

Next 2 was on the orange blob(...quess what...my own tyings aswell)

G.T....its my pleasure taking you fashing as we have such a laugh all day.......run up was good too.

Hope you catch next time and i will happily net them for you as you have for me(7 times)[;)]

• 3 weeks later...

Was up at Crainlarigh today fishing the Fillin.  Caught two salmon on the fly.....one at 4 inches and another at 3!  Parr unfortunately,[:D]

There was surprisingly no water in the river and no breeze, so no chance for the decent wild brownies.  Contemplated calling my dad to get one of the boats on Loch Lunhair, but shaft rowing through the river between the lochs, as I had no outboard with me.  So gave up after about 4 hours.

Going to go up next weekend and take the boat out for some trolling for salmon and fly fishing for the trout.  Had reports of quite a lot of salmon being caught at the moment, with one at 21lb.

Had a great blast on the way up, know the road like the back of my hand.  After passing a Yellow Classic Sport just before Glen Ogle, then had a biker on a R1 on the way up the glen, wave me past.  Not ofter that happens!  Past me on the straights after Killen turn off right enough.

Seeing as I blanked, going to go stockie bashing at Swans Water in Stirling tomorrow.

Dave

Made up for blanking yesterday by getting two fish in just under 2 hours fishing at Swans Water today.

Got a nice rainbow at 3lb and my first ever golden trout at 2.2lbs.

Good fun fishing for the golden trout as you can see them clearly in the water so I was casting the fly in front of them and got quite a few follow the fly before pulling away.  Good exciting stuff.  Have to admit it as well, they certainly fight harder than the rainbows.

Good wee fishery Swans Water.  I see the biggest fish caught this year was just under 18lb.  Man that would be something on the trout fly rod!