My New Additions

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Morning folks, a bit of an update for you all

As some of you will be aware Ian @ PACE in Union Mills was flying a fella called Richard over here to map an Evo rally car he had just finished, Ian had spoken to Nick and asked if there was anyone looking to have thier Scoob mapped, I of course jumped at this as it meant I did not have to get the car off the Island and after it breaking down on me the other weekend I was not entirely sure it would make it to Edinburgh for Andy F to map it.

So it was all a bit of a rush to get a walbro fuel pump and SARD pressure regulator ready for me to get the car mapped. Luckily Dave K had a walbro he could sell me and I managed to get a regulator from Temple Tuning who were the only place I found that had them on the shelf and could get it to me with enough time to fit it before dropping the car off to Ian.

I dropped the car off on Tuesday evening. Obviously the Evo was the priority and my car was there to be done when the Evo was cooling down or Ian was swapping out parts, I was sitting having my lunch yesterday when Ian called trying to find a walbro for the Evo as it was still running a standard pump. After a few of phone calls nothing could be sourced so I rang him back and gave him permission to use the one out of my car to allow him to get the Evo mapped up, just as well I did. As good a job I did on the connections for the fuel pump Ian called to say there was a problem and if he had not taken it out something could well have gone terribly wrong. So after him calming my nerves all was well again.

Ian called again at 8:30pm to say they had put the fuel pump back in my car and had been out to do a few laps of the TT course in it, he told me that they had had the car running at 1.2 bar giving really good mid range punch making his wifes MY99 wagon feel really tired and sad. "There is only one problem" he said, "ok, I am sitting down so go on" i said. As it turns out the engine is really strong and is producing its power really well and with alot of "punch" as he put it, but, the clutch cant handle it, it is starting to slip ever so slightly around 4500rpm. He advised it was very slight but worth looking at replacing as the car deffinately has more potential but Richard does not want to take it too far as with the clutch slipping he is unable to check properly for DET at 1.3 bar and upwards.

Ian said they could back it off to 1 bar which means the clutch would last longer or they could fine tune the map for 1.2 this morning meaning I would be looking at doing the clutch a little sooner, hmmm I thought, a little greed took over I think, and I decided go with 1.2 and replacing the clutch.

So there you have it up to now, I will have the car back later on so will post another little update later to let you know how big my grin is.

Well got the car back about quarter to five this evening. It was Richard Bulmer who did the mapping by the way for those who are interested.

We have backed the boost off to 1.1 and the clutch is even slipping at that on full chat, but the car feels so strong. Richard has smoothed out the delivery so it pulls constantly from 3k to the redline (if I could get it there without the clutch slipping). Richard has given Ian maps for my car for 1 bar 1.2 and 1.4 so when we have the clutch done it is simply a case of plugging in the laptop and warp speed here we come.

Have had a run up to Ramsey and back and I deffinately had the grin back. :D

Ian is gonna get me some prices together tomorrow for clutches so we will see what he comes back with. Shame about that one you had Nick I would have taken that off you. The clutch that is in my car just now we are pretty sure is the one it came out the factory with so that would make it 9 years old, Richard said there is nothing wrong with the clutch thats in the car its just that it cannot handle the power the car is now producing, if I had left the car standard the current clutch would have been fine.

Cheers Paul, after all this I might be able to keep up with Charlie when you guys come back over next year :D

LOL, didn't seem exactly slow when I was with Charlie and we missed the turning to Niarbyl, going 140+ over Mountain road version 2 (can't remember where it was)! The brakes giving off some serious smoke 2! Think ive got a video of that moment of my other computer somewhere, i'll have a look and dig it out!

B) Don't understand all this bar talk lol but she certainly looks great! Well done!

Ashley

:D Don't understand all this bar talk lol but she certainly looks great! Well done!

Ashley

hi Ashley, bar is a measure of air pressure see - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbar

Its the pressure that the turbo is forcing air into the engine (forced induction)

most normal setups on turbo a Impreza, (standard) would operate up to 1 bar of pressure.

To give you an idea, a car tyre on say your mini should be 28psi that is approx 2bar of pressure.

The more air you can force into an engine the faster it will run.

But force more in than the engine can handle and it could all go BANG! B)

Hope this helps,

John

Glad it all went well mate and that the datalogit did the trick. B)

Thanks Jim, would it be alright if I held onto it until I have had my clutch done so that we can ramp up the boost?

LOL, didn't seem exactly slow when I was with Charlie and we missed the turning to Niarbyl, going 140+ over Mountain road version 2 (can't remember where it was)! The brakes giving off some serious smoke 2! Think ive got a video of that moment of my other computer somewhere, i'll have a look and dig it out!

LMAO Cheers Ashley, was good fun that wasn't it? the road we were on was the Sloc by the way

Would be good to see the video of that run, do you have it hosted online? would you be able to do me a copy on disc mate? Did Charlie have a camera in the car too or was it just yours?

The more air you can force into an engine the faster it will run.

But force more in than the engine can handle and it could all go BANG!

Thanks John B) Had a rough idea it was something like that!

LMAO Cheers Ashley, was good fun that wasn't it? the road we were on was the Sloc by the way

Would be good to see the video of that run, do you have it hosted online? would you be able to do me a copy on disc mate? Did Charlie have a camera in the car too or was it just yours?

I only took a phone video, but can only find short clips of the run, ill youtube them, (sorry really bumpy, thats Charlie's setup :D).

And yeah your best bet is to ask Charlie, it was his camera :D

Edit: Added youtube links.

and

;):angry:;)

Another edit lol:

Check out this Dave:

photo0019qe6.th.jpg

What do you notice is weird about that pic?

Check the passenger wing mirror! Only just noticed lol. U hit a bloody big wasp, or it flew in the way. :P

Edited by AshleyBaker

well, after much discussion with various people (thanks to everyone for your advice) I have decided to order my clutch which should be here next week.

I have decided to go with an AP paddle clutch with a sprung centre, yeah I know some of you are gonna say its too harsh for every day driving but it does give me the option to break the 400 bhp mark if I decide to, and the fact I have gone for the sprung centre will make it somewhat more user friendly and easier to live with.

Unfortunately Ian cant fit the clutch until after the rally in a couple of weeks, which I s'pose is a good thing as it gives me a chance to sell half my life on manx.net and the likes to cover the costs.

So basically I am gonna have to drive miss daisy for a couple of weeks until the clutch is in and we turn up the boost B)

Thanks Tracy, she has a long way to go yet.

When you say "pots" do you mean when we talk about 4 pot calipers?

When talkin about pots in regards to calipers we are refering to the parts of the caliper that applies the pressure to the pads pressing them onto the discs.

You can see them in this pic, they are the round silver parts, there are two on each side of the caliper hence the name 4 pots

4pots.jpg

Thanks Tracy, she has a long way to go yet.

When you say "pots" do you mean when we talk about 4 pot calipers?

When talkin about pots in regards to calipers we are refering to the parts of the caliper that applies the pressure to the pads pressing them onto the discs.

You can see them in this pic, they are the round silver parts, there are two on each side of the caliper hence the name 4 pots

4pots.jpg

Ahhh i see! i havent a clue about cars!! i just drive them, i only passed my test last year , so im not really good at that either!!! spose really i should still be driving around in a small car like a viat punto or corsa!!!! lol but no i have a smashing subaru!!!!

t x

Ahhh i see! i havent a clue about cars!! i just drive them, i only passed my test last year , so im not really good at that either!!! spose really i should still be driving around in a small car like a viat punto or corsa!!!! lol but no i have a smashing subaru!!!!

t x

im gonna be a machanic one day , you'l see!!! its my mission to learn everything about cars!

• 1 month later...

Hi folks, another wee update for ya'll

The clutch is in :) it has made a huge difference, I can now really feel the change in the car from the last wave of mods.

She feels so strong and willing to pull all the way, with the way Richard mapped the car there is no real belt as the boost comes in just an almighty surge as the boost climbs and holds 1.1 all day long.

Still trying to get used to driving the car slowly with this new clutch, I have embarrasingly stalled a few time pulling away from traffic lights but I think I am starting to get it now.

Cant wait to get the boost turned up to 1.4 bar now, its gonna be a whole different animal :guinness:

Only issue I have now is that with the new clutch in we have found the T bushes (I think Ian called them) on the diff are worn and allowing the diff to hit the underside of the floor under hard acceleration, so these will be replaced with poly ones shortly after the New Year, hopfully along with some new suspension, ARB's and the poly bushes for the rest of the suspension.

Well thats it for 2007 as far as my modding goes, will update you all again after the holidays.

Have a merry Christmas and a happy New Year :thumbup:

• 4 months later...

First update in here for a while, a new year and new mods :rotfl:

not really done anything to the car since last year other than fit some mud flaps, sorry no pics :rotfl:

anyway, Christmas came early today and I now have this little lot waiting to go on

DSC_0059.jpg

check out these bad boys

DSCF0072.jpg

front and rear adjustable anti-roll bars, come with poly bushes to suit

DSC_0061.jpg

race spec anti-lift kit

DSC_0062.jpg

front and rear drop links

DSC_0063.jpg

new rubber

DSC_0185.jpg

DSC_0189.jpg

This little lot combined and I will be cornering as if I was on rails

I could fit all the suspension parts myself but would not be able to set them up so I have decided to have Ian @ Pace fit it all and set it up as the car needs to have its rear diff bushes and T bar bushes done anyway (replacing these with poly ones from Powerflex), unfortunately he cant fit the car in until 2 weeks today due to the rally next weekend, I am gutted but I would rather have it fitted and set up properly rather than rushed.

Any one got a fast forward button? cant wait, shame the track day is this weekend but the Scoob will be sorted for the next one