Need some advice - Insurance or Try and fix?

Ok so I have have completly destroyed the NSR door and put a hefty scratch in the NSF door. The passenger side skirt is also destroyed.
I'm only 22 and have 2 years no claims. If I claim on my insurance then the premium goes up, I end up with 0 years no claims and I have a £250 excess.

What I would like to know is should I claim it on the insurance and it gets the job done right but I end up back at square one with an even bigger insurance bill.

or

Try and source some doors from a breakers and just replace them myself.
It is just the bodywork that is damaged so I could transfer the window and the electrics if I had to but it would be easier of course if I didn't.

Any thoughts? How hard would replacing the doors be anyway? Is it even worst trying or would it cost a lot more than my excess would be anyway.

As I am the only party involved I figured I could delay phoning the insurance company a couple of days to get your opinions.

Pics to follow later this evening.

Thanks in advance. 

Personally, I'd get 2-3 quotes from a couple of decent coachworks first. Tell them it wont be an insurance job and you are likely to get even better prices. If your paying a £250 excess then your gonna have to fork that out anyway.

So , IMHO it might be better not telling the insurance for now, cut your loses and pay a cash repair and save on stupid insurance hikes in the long run.

Gus

Gus is right Nanaki.

Insurance is a a deffo no - no as I see it In an instance like this one. (how'd you manage to cream the doors mate?)

If you claimed your insurance - which I would assume as comprehensive, the aftermath of monthly payments far out weighs the benefits from a local coachworks outfit.

Shame at the best. The cars a little bit bent, but the insurance companies leap on little incidents. I know that must be hard pill to swallow right now.

But, untill we get pics, then ascertaining the damage and supposed repair costs are really unknown.

Best as always.

Agree, try a coachworks and let them know you'll be paying, not the insurance

A year or two back I wanted a rear door touched up, I had a bit of rust coming through under the plastic trim about half way down. Having spoken to the sprayer, who had picked up forms/paperwork/clipboard etc, and being asked if I would be paying for the work (?????????? no I'm going to do a runner what do you think!!!) I then realised he meant would I be paying for the work. [Y] Penny dropped, as did all the paperwork, quick look, £40 cash. Dread to think what the insurance would have been charged[;)]

Right folks here is the damage.

closeup_small.jpg

And here is the thing I hit to cause it all. Trust me not all that damage to it was me. I am clearly not the first person to do this. Dosn't make it less painful (or expensive) mind you. Was leaving the halfords carpark after buying a tyre preassue gauge. Didnt go far enough out from the space before turning and then crunch. was one of those oh f**k moments.

poll_small.jpg

Let the jokes commence. 

does anyone know if all classic model car doors are the same? is there a difference between european and japanese? would the ones from a wagon fit? I have so many questions and no idea right now.

Here is a pic of the sill damage when the skirt is held back in place. The initial impact was where the skirt joins so it caused it to pop right off and it is relativly undamaged. Just needs some new mounts. As for the sill as you can seet hat is going to be a bugger to fix.

sill_passengers.jpg

Took me a while to tie together your Asda trolley pushers experience in the Highs and lows of December thread but this is just adding insult to injury.

Why does the Asda car parks seem to be a Jinx here.

Tell me Nanaki - the thing that tore your doors open - was it in an Asda car park ?

I'm not being funny here, but shouldn't the Asda manager have been a bit more co-operative than not returning your calls ?

Youve got a PM.

Alan.

Asda have stated they are willing to pay out still for the repair work they were quoted for so I just need to see what S&S will add on top to cover the rest of the repairs. they are going to have a look at it wednesday morning when the actual car guys are back in (just the sales guys when I went in on saturday)

It was a halfords car park mate in kilmarnock this time. Most expensive tyre preassure gauge I'll ever buy.

A mate owes me some cash so the £400 back from his should help out here.

Ok so I got the car checked over by s&s this morning.

Total cost of repairs is £1150. Asda are paying £700 for the damage caused by them which leave me paying £450

When you consider my excess is £250 then its costing me £200 more than it would have on my insurance to save my no claims. Well worth it.

The car goes in on Monday for a few days so I should be a happy camper by this time next week with any luck.

Thanks for all those who posted advice and the PM's. Will get the pics up once its done.