Home made - CAI

To nite i finished the cold air intake, its took a wee wile coz i had to strip the old coragated flex piece of craap out, work out wot pipe/bends/fillter i would need, order them then spend a bit of time getting it right, so the car has been off the road for a few weeks.

The stuff i needed was, all 80mm ...... 2 - 45degre bends, 1 - 90degre bend, 1 - alloy tube and a green cotton fillter the size and flow that i am needing.

Took the car out for a wee run just to see what like, and was more than happy with the way it was pulling/running, better than ever. There are a whole load off other bits to be fitted before remap date on the 25th, so now i canny wait [;)]

Here are some piks of the home made high flow CAI [:D].....

From above and through the inner wing

CAI4.jpg

CAI5.jpg

Then inside the wing

CAI3.jpg

and down to filter

CAI2.jpg

All together

CAI1.jpg

[:P]

Davie ,

You are one of the privilaged few to have seen under my jalopys bunnet [:P]

99 and 00 do have fragile MAF , but vibration and oil contamination are the killers - make sure filter is not over-oiled and is well supported and it should be OK ( I do keep a spare MAF though ... just in case [:$])

Mine has APS CAK C/W K&N , MY'00 BTW - no MAF probs (phew thats enough abbreviations for one night [:D] )

BUT , Andy-F could not stress enough that adjustment to map was required if running the intake I have , due to the swirl effect of the pipe bends before the MAF . Without re-map , this causes the sensor to seriously under-read the airflow , which in turn will cause very lean mixture . . . .

Al.

JC. : A really neat job. Tidy and impressive.

As Al has outlined above, it is imperative that you have the MAF Sensor rescaled by Andy F or whoever and this should be done sooner rather than later. CERTAINLY before you rag it.

About five years ago I fitted an APS CAK. 11mls later I had picked up #2 piston in the bore. This was the beginning of my excursion into Scooby tuning. APS at both M.D. and Technical Director level denied it could be anything to do with the CAK. However, some short time later after work with Bob Rawle we realised that when the inlet tract was altered the air flowpast the MAF Sensor also altered, hence the problem.

Take care until you remap.

Cheers guys[y] Its all ready mapped for a CAI (crap air intake), all i have done is change it for the better, its due in for a new map on the 25th and will be hardly driven till then. But when i was out last night it was showing 8 knock on the apexi hand set, witch is pritty good considering ! [;)]

Any alteration to the inlet tract is likely to alter the air flow presented to the MAF Sensor. It could cause rich running which relatively speaking is not a problem and you see the black smoke anyway. However you could get weak running and this will lead the VERY high combustion temperatures. In that condition you will not necessarily see any KNOCK or DET before serious damage is done.