Guess who will NOT be renewing the Subaru Warranty!

My jaw almost hit the floor when I saw the price - my wife's warranty, unlimitied mileage for 2 years on her RAV 4 was £600 including RAC cover.  Look at the price of the unlimited mileage cover on the Impreza Turbo!!!!

They must REALLY struggle for customers with this - if it had been reasonable I may have bought it ... not now [:D]

SubaruWarranty.jpg

Brian [;)]

Makes my situation look pretty good. My motor is covered under a private warranty by the company I got it through. Because they screwed up and gave me a Maltese import instead of the UK Spec car that I ordered I've got the warranty for as long as I keep the motor [;)]

You must have more money then sense then ;-)

In 7yrs of Scooby ownership I've had the following faults:-

< 3yrs old (under warranty)

Front brake discs (cracked; known fault)

PIAA lamps (rusted)

Rear boot lid (small rust spot)

Front Windows (scratches; known fault)

Front driver door card (plastic on handle cracked)

Lambda Sensor

3-5yrs (3rd party warranty)

feck all

> 5yrs old

Oil leak (from oil pump seal) - cost £10 part, labour as part of Cambelt Change

Front calipers rec-conditioned - £30 parts, £120 labour (went to independant as Dealer said there was nothing wrong)

Bonnet release cable - £30 parts, £90 labour (stupidly paid Dealer to do it)

Repacement shocks & springs - £400 parts, £100 labour

MAF sensor - £70 part, FREE labour (did it myself)

Obviously, this doens't include normal servicing costs.

So, if you think you'll need new shocks & springs, a new gearbox or engine whilst your car's under this extended warranty period then you could argue that £1000+ would cover the costs.  The costs say to me that Subaru expect something "expensive" to break when the car is <5yrs old and have adjusted the costs accordingly.  Says more about the Impreza's build quality and the reliability isn't as good as it used to be.  Either that or people are modding them, blowing something expensive and getting Subaru to fix it under warranty.

Stefan

you have hit it on the head Stefan,even from a dealer level putting a proven warranty on a used vehicle has become a costly exercise but this has been brought about by the increased burn rate on warranty claims,there doesnt seem to be a week goes by that we dont have an impreza sitting with its throat cut,but never have this problem with legacys or foresters partly due to them not being altered and not being driven within an inch of there lifes!

at the end of the day its an insurance,'why do we bother with car insurance'in the event of an accident our car will be repaired at no cost or we will get back its market value if its written off!DO WE ALL HAVE IT,i hope so,but in reflection what a waste of money each year if you do not claim.Its not a requirement to purchase a used car warranty but it is offered for the consumers pease of mind,you dont need to buy it if you dont want it,but i've seen the bills if your engine or gearbox goes pop and this would make me wish i had a warranty.

This is just my view from inside looking out.

£510 an absolute bargain,if you have to use it and your bill is £3500.

Gav

Subaru uk cant get any better,no wonder that they r lossing out to the likes of motorpoint imports ect!!

Mmm its not that though when subaru uk are trying to rectify any problems that occur with MOTORPOINT cars,when motorpoint dont want to know,......think i'll try that one the next time i sell someone a new official uk car....'IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH YOUR NEW CAR JUST POP ALONG TO YOUR LOCAL MOTORPOINT BRANCH AND THEY WILL SORT OUT YOUR WARRANTY BOOKLET AND ANY CLAIMS YOU MIGHT HAVE,OH AND MOTORPOINT WILL FOOT THE BILL FOR A SUBARU UK CAR...eh i dont think so!

Dont remember MOTORPOINT offering the club a nice spec.d. to do the burns relay either!

Obviously its purely a price thing then.....and not anything to do with Subaru uk

Gav[:(]

You have to take into account your own car's history.  What makes you think that if your car has ran impeccably for 3yrs that on the 4th year the engine is going to explode?  Biggest factors are missed signs of failures (e.g. MAF, Oxygen sensor) or moddifing it making it more unreliable.

I've not modified my engine in 7yrs (apart from a couple of weeks with a Dawes Device or PPP ECU) and mines still holding on strong after 95K and 7yrs.  If I had taken out extended cover for the last 4 years, it would have cost me the thick end of £6K.  If my engine does blow up and costs me £3.5K, I'll stll have saved myself £2.5K overall.

As you say, it's an insurance policy.  Thankfully it's not mandatory as with car insurance, but you have to weigh up the pro's and con's just like any other policy.

If you are the worrying type, then it's money well spent.  I like enjoying life, but still keep something aside for a rainy day.  If my car doesn't blow up I have a nice sum of money I can reuse.  With the warranty, once it's paid it's gone forever.

You have to take into account your own car's history.  What makes you think that if your car has ran impeccably for 3yrs that on the 4th year the engine is going to explode?  Biggest factors are missed signs of failures (e.g. MAF, Oxygen sensor) or moddifing it making it more unreliable.

I've not modified my engine in 7yrs (apart from a couple of weeks with a Dawes Device or PPP ECU) and mines still holding on strong after 95K and 7yrs.  If I had taken out extended cover for the last 4 years, it would have cost me the thick end of £6K.  If my engine does blow up and costs me £3.5K, I'll stll have saved myself £2.5K overall.

As you say, it's an insurance policy.  Thankfully it's not mandatory as with car insurance, but you have to weigh up the pro's and con's just like any other policy.

If you are the worrying type, then it's money well spent.  I like enjoying life, but still keep something aside for a rainy day.  If my car doesn't blow up I have a nice sum of money I can reuse.  With the warranty, once it's paid it's gone forever.

totally agree!

Gav