Intake Resonator Removal increase BHP ???

Alright Mate,

I done this on my bugeye WRX about 2 months ago, removed the resonator and took a cold air feed from down behind the foglight via a 100mm tumble dryer hose.....

Was pretty easy to do (bout 1 hr) and the difference is noise is defo noticeable.... Bit of induction roar and a nice whoosh from the OE dump valve altho its not too loud....

BHP wise i don't know, i have a green filter and maybe between the two it adds a bit but nothing the butt dyno can judge, think it is recommended for remaps though as the standard intake can be very restrictive....

HTH

Bing aka Steve has done it too but has a u peice instead of resonator and goes well because it has a IHI VF35 too.

Personally i would get a CAI for power and noise.And if you are worried about warrany just take tha CAI when you need to get warranty done.[:o]

You still haven't been in my car to see what see goes and sounds like before i get more mods done.[:P]

Very !

With an APS CAI on a classic , for example , the MAF can only detect approx 20% of airflow due to the 'swirl' effect caused by the 90 degree bend being close to the MAF .

Without remap it WILL run mega-dangerously lean .

Al.

• 3 months later...

Ladies, yes I have one of these i.e the one STi bandit has a link of. 

Cal, try Mark, I think Joanne had it before me!  Cheap at half the price

Yeap I had one on Joanne's, good mod if you are keeping the original air box, Steve I haven't heard from you in ages mate, give me a call.

Cal got them in the US, not sure where you can get them here though.

Marc

Harvey, portable widebands are pretty thin on the ground up here with AndyF and  Dastek being the only people equipped with a portable unit

I am looking at buying one that could be transferred from car to car and with cans, fuelling and det can be checked on members cars without them having to book the car into AndyF or Dastek but a circa £3 -400 outlay it will have to be when the money is spare

If you hear of a 2nd hand unit for sale please get in touch

I use an LM1 with an aluminium bracket attachment to take the wide band lambda up the exhaust tail pipe. This means it is quick to swap from car to car. Power is from the cigarette lighter socket.

With a little planning we could organise to do a fair number of AFR checks at a suitable time/location in one session. 

If you want to investigate this, drop me an e-mail.

harveysmith1@btopenworld.com

I know exactly how much difference the resonator delete makes to the AFR on the MY97/00 on the road and from an AFR viewpoint it is safe to remove it, you will gain flow potential at higher rpm. The turbo boost pressure control however may be influenced by the increased flow so it would be wise to check the boost before/after.

As for how much difference it makes on the rollers with the different airflow pattern you get under these false conditions I don't know and don't really care to be honest, I don't map them to stand still and push a roller round.

Andy.

As for how much difference it makes on the rollers with the different airflow pattern you get under these false conditions I don't know and don't really care to be honest, I don't map them to stand still and push a roller round.

Andy.

GO ON ANDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get in there my son! YOU TELL 'EM!

Squirrel - I have  had the complete Wideband Lambda & Det Cans setup for over 2 years now and have used it up here on lots of cars in Aberdeen. If anyone in ABZ would like their car checked then I am happy to oblige. If the number of requests goes  through the roof then I may have to charge a fee (5 pounds) to cover the 170+ pounds cost for a new sensor (as they only have a limited lifespan) but that is still cheaper than a new engine!!!!

Russell

Andy.

GO ON ANDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get in there my son! YOU TELL 'EM!

Squirrel - I have  had the complete Wideband Lambda & Det Cans setup for over 2 years now and have used it up here on lots of cars in Aberdeen. If anyone in ABZ would like their car checked then I am happy to oblige. If the number of requests goes  through the roof then I may have to charge a fee (5 pounds) to cover the 170+ pounds cost for a new sensor (as they only have a limited lifespan) but that is still cheaper than a new engine!!!!

Russell

I knew you had the sensor and cans up in ABZ but central belt peeps with wideband access are a bit thin on the ground.

Harvey

Sounds like a plan for winter sometime when the charge will be at its coldest.  Bring you up to an undisclosed point in Central Scotland for a group testing session.

How do people rate the PLXdevices Wideband?

http://www.plxdevices.com/

$195 US seems a good price but i have yet to find out how much the guage is, probably another $195 US.  Plus there will be a clamp for the exhaust and a lead extension

When testing guys, be prepared for some variation in result depending upon which gear you are testing in, three main reasons for this 1- ECU acceleration/pressurisation rate fuel enrichment  2 -The effect of acceleration G force on the fuel supply to the FP reg and 3 - The airflow speed/pressure into the airbox or across the filter.

Andy

• 2 years later...

I seemed to lose BHP when I removed the intake resonator!

I've got a performance meter which I use now and again. Here's the results I've recorded so far with my 06 WRX.

Power is at wheels

Standard 180 bhp

K&N Filter 180 bhp

K&N with intake resonator removed 173 bhp

(I conduct the test on the same stretch of flat road, and perform 8 runs. Then calculate the average reading)

I was gutted, as the noise it make is lovely. But I've fitted it back on again last night due to the above result.

When I get time, I've going to get a spare resonator and cut off the silencer part, as I've read someone else do. This should keep the cool ducting into the airbox. If I do this, I'll post the results here also.