Is It Time To Start Thinking About Growing Up

this is where im lucky. i have a little work van supplied and fueled by the company so my scooby is now purely a weekend warrior. and being the classic then its normal road tax and as its not used much then the milage is low and low fuel cost plus insurance milage is 8k a year. its a shame if you have to sell but your not alone. a pal duncan just got rid of his, bryan d on here is thi nking of selling his and lewis has got rid of his now. sad days but i suppose needs must for some. :(

Edited by scottishtaffy

I did think about getting rid of the Litchfield.

Only did 4,000 miles last year, tax (£250 as its a Jap import 2L), insurance £900, 21mpg, servicing, etc

Then I took it out at the weekend and all the thoughts left my little head. I've got the C4 for the work commute with occasional trips in the scoob. I'll soak up the cost and the fling wouldn't be the same in anything else

As per post "Is it time to start growing up?", I'm 66 next month and not intending to grow up just yet and will keep the WRX for as long as possible. Great pity if you have to sell yours, but running costs are a problem for us all. Luckily, the WRX only covers about 4,000 a year, tax £280 and cheap insurance in our location, plus age factor of course. Also very fortunate to have the Accord iVtec which has delivered average 37mpg since bought in March 2010.

• Upvote 1

Bangernomics....

£300-500 on a banger with 6 months MOT. Cheaper running costs than the Scoob and better mpg. If it fails the next MOT scrap it and buy another. Loads of people do it.

I've got the Hawk and the C4, my other drives my old Blob WRX as her daily car. Nothing will get her out of it!

Know what u mean chris. More modern standard cars come less expensive .cheaper to run and give the same kind of figures in regards to speed but more luxury inside. And then theres audi a4 or s range etc ..

Do they have the looks or the burble of the blob or scoob ..nope but how long can you keep justifying it as a reason to keep it as it gets older..

If affordable then id say keep as weekend car/plaything . And just get a wee banger cheap to run etc ..

But if you cant or dont have space then id upgrade to something with similar performance but better mpg etc.

Havent c9nvinced the wench to keep ours . So thoughts on mine is itl either be gone by end of march or come may when baby arrives then il be back in a cheapy wee astra or corsa for the next 2 -3 years :(

Just deciding whether to re tax for 6months and service it and get rid of it around mayish or put up for sale about £500 cheaper around the 5K'ish mark mid febuary with it needing a service and tax . Decisions decisions...

• Upvote 1

Know what u mean chris. More modern standard cars come less expensive .cheaper to run and give the same kind of figures in regards to speed but more luxury inside. And then theres audi a4 or s range etc ..

Do they have the looks or the burble of the blob or scoob ..nope but how long can you keep justifying it as a reason to keep it as it gets older..

If affordable then id say keep as weekend car/plaything . And just get a wee banger cheap to run etc ..

But if you cant or dont have space then id upgrade to something with similar performance but better mpg etc.

Havent c9nvinced the wench to keep ours . So thoughts on mine is itl either be gone by end of march or come may when baby arrives then il be back in a cheapy wee astra or corsa for the next 2 -3 years :(

Just deciding whether to re tax for 6months and service it and get rid of it around mayish or put up for sale about £500 cheaper around the 5K'ish mark mid febuary with it needing a service and tax . Decisions decisions...

Surely you will get more than 5k for it?

• 3 weeks later...

Just sold my fourth Subaru and back to Toyota.

When I sold my first one I thought I was leaving a whole world behind - SIDC, Subaru life etc.

Didn't last and back to Subaru - no doubt I'll be back again, but just cannot justify the costs, the decreasing image thanks to so many cheap cars being bought and driven by numpties, and the insurance hassles with mods etc.

A good modern diesel will offer much of the performance (once moving) without the costs etc.

Brian.