Subaru Running Costs

Well since this place is soon to be turning into an all world subaru club, figured I'd ask a sensible all Subaru question! :D

Looks like the Ka has finally going to have to be given up and need something to replace it with.. Not sure what route to go down at the moment, either try and find something cheap again or get somethign a bit better but ruggid enough to withstand going up and down a rought gravel road every day to work (Current Impreza sits too low and grounds :cussing: )

Anyone have any real world experience with the difference in running costs between a Impreza WRX, Impreza sport and a forester (non-turbo)? Just one line of options I'm considering, like the forester idea but not sure the running costs will be much different from the WRX.. ideally I'd go for a Diesel Forester, but the suckers are keeping their value too much Grrr!

Looking for sort of Tax/Insurance/MPG sort of costs from real peopel not just benchmark promo guidline costs that are rarely accurate...

Cheers!

P.s. Also open to any suggestions/reccomendations others may have.. Note: On a low budget :(

Al, as you know I've had 11 subaru's over the years., Foresters, Legacy's and Impreza's both normally aspirated and turbo and I'd go as far as saying there is very little cost difference between running a turbo Forester for example and a normally aspirated one....and compared to a WRX the only real gain I would say is insurance which can be £100+ less expensive for the Forester (turbo) and maybe upto £200 on normally aspirated

Road taxes are comparable but obviously dependent on which age of vehicle you go for!?

Fuel wise, 1-4mpg of a difference if your lucky.

Hope that helps?

Cheers gus! Kinda what I expected but Very helpful all the same...thanks! :icon_salut:

Dave, Trying to avoid getting another red car if possible ;)! :brickwall: Not unless, like the Ka, it's FREE! :D Although that one for 795 is tempting.. just a shame the 2.0l boxer is a little thirsty.. Mind you it'd run happily run on 95Unleaded.. (probably still not cheap enough for day to day sadly...)

Know someone who may have a 1999 Diesel Golf up for sale in a few weeks but dunno how much thei'll be asking for it :( And the running costs weren't terrific when I priced it up a while back.. Shame Justy's aren't more popular on 2nd hand market :D

Edited by ScoUK

I wouldnt buy another n/a subaru they are just as thirsty on fuel when not booting it and same parts cost.

Stay away from 02 onwards forresters especially, i have one as my daily and folks have another. The price of two rear self leveling dampers is far more expensive than a entire new four corner spring/damper set up for a classic. front cv joints are not avaliable aftermarket (i offered a few up) and a dealer part only which comes as full half shaft. Like all newages has a silly psuedo wideband front 02 sensor.

Well all i can add is my road tax is £480 i believe. still waiting on it coming.

I fancy a wagon for my wife as she really likes them. Narrowed it down to a late blob or early hawk. unless she wants mine and will let me go crazy ;-)

Forester for the bumpy track every time. good workhorse. not as nimple as the GX sport but think its a better everyday drive when not in a hurry.

In 8 yrs and 116K miles apart from routine servicing (very regular oil changes) replacements have been an exhaust, battery, 1 rear brake cylinder, front discs, 2 sets front pads. (and 2 sets tyres, so averaging over 40K per tyre set . The only actual "faults" over this time have been 1 front sidelight bulb and a patch/splice of a couple of inches rear light wiring and front droplinks replaced. And sticky front caliper pistons.

Forester is about 1-2 mpg better than the impreza GX at average about (only) 30mpg, but tax still 260 or somethin, and insurance about 700 per year for the Forester, GX and wifes astra convertible (Admiral multicar) so insurance not particularly cheap but not massive (think it was about230 for the forester part)

^^^^ heh.. not sure if you've misunderstood or not but already have an Impreza :D This is a replacement for the 2nd car which I got to keep the crap miles off the SCoob and keep it for hte good times. But the Ka is just going to need too much work to get it through MOT this time round.. Also Running both cars has worked out cheaper the last 3 years than just runnign the Impreza alone!!

Impreza's are cheap as chips these days to pick up, and uber relaiable! :thumbup: FOrester is the sensible choice and ideal for what I need it for, It's just not quite cheap enough to run :( Just clutching at straws again to try and justify buying a 2nd Subaru :whistle:

Doesn't look likey at the moment.. At least untilt he Diesel drops a few more £k maybe next time round :driving:

Edited by ScoUK

Another vote for a turbo forester ours is still going strong ( gus's old one) 02 plate only thing major was the clutch went then 2 weeks later the ring gear fell off the fly wheel! Apart from that the odd tyre exhaust went but I got an exhaust from archs newage sti straight swap I'd say we get above 30 mpg on it swallows up the bumps cruise control heated seats all adds to it being the best car we have had for a while!! She wants a newer one soon!!

Neil

^^^^ heh.. not sure if you've misunderstood or not but already have an Impreza :D This is a replacement for the 2nd car which I got to keep the crap miles off the SCoob and keep it for hte good times. But the Ka is just going to need too much work to get it through MOT this time round.. Also Running both cars has worked out cheaper the last 3 years than just runnign the Impreza alone!!

Impreza's are cheap as chips these days to pick up, and uber relaiable! :thumbup: FOrester is the sensible choice and ideal for what I need it for, It's just not quite cheap enough to run :( Just clutching at straws again to try and justify buying a 2nd Subaru :whistle:

Doesn't look likey at the moment.. At least untilt he Diesel drops a few more £k maybe next time round :driving:

sorry i miss understood, just buy it, smiles per mile, u only live once mate u can't take it with u, and if u buy at cheap petrol and save like £5.000 think of how much fuel that is to play with, ur diesel will cost u more monthly in payments and ur fuel bill will still be roughly the same. it would take u like 6 years to recuperate the extra cash u spent on buying the diesel car in terms of fuel (just cause of the higher initial cost).

Im in the same dilemma need a car for work so bought a cheap Saxo I absolutely hate it but it's cheap but when I'm out in it and you see a fellow impreza owner driving by you say to your self I've got one of those then you get all pissed off cause your in a wee horrible car!!

What about a justy???

Neil

Know someone who may have a 1999 Diesel Golf up for sale in a few weeks but dunno how much thei'll be asking for it :( And the running costs weren't terrific when I priced it up a while back..

How did you figure a '99 diesel golf wasnt cheap to run? I presume due to insurance and tax as mine did 60mpg and and 60mph in 6-7s... :) There's no danger the Ka gets better mpg than a derv golf.

Unless of course its an SDi then forget the 6-7s 0-60 times... :lol:

^^^ TBH Dunno.. Must've read the wrong data last time round, and got 48mpg in my head... :brickwall: Did think that was a bit low.. The one that 'may' me up for grabs in a few weeks in a 1.9TDi so should return about 55-60mpg as you say, although book for the Ka is 42 or something but could squeeze 45mpg generally, managed 48mpg at one point :thumbup: Tax would be the higher level being a 1.9 rather than 1.3 but insurance shouldn't be too much more than the Ka. Was going to be £163 for insurance this year, need to cancel the renewal for Friday :rolleyes:

Was also eyeing up a 3dr 1.6 Focus yesterday as well..

If a Justy was available I probably would :thumbup::D:driving:

I've got a Shitroen C4 VTS sat waiting for when i'm employed to keep the miles off the scoob. It's french so has some minor issues - doors don't really like to line up and bits of trim dont like to stay attched. On the plus side it's 6 years old, full service history and only has 33333 miles on it, 1.6 litre petrol engine, road fund licence isn't to expensive and to insure Lynne, myself and her mother for the year was 1/3 what it is for the scooby. Oh and the stereo isn't bad either and i can't complain at 20,000 miles service intervals. It's just begging for a SIDC sticker on the back somewhere! There are some decent second hand cars out there....... it's finding them thats the problem.

Edited by davey l wrx

One thing to note with golfs, they go through coil springs like they're going out of fashion under normal road use so a dirt track to work may not be the best idea for one of them...

Mate of mine had a shitroen C4 diesel and it went through 2 or 3 turbos in as many years.

My old man has a 1.6 110 HDI pug 307 and has heard of some issues relating to injector failure leading eventually to pump failure which apparently is big bucks to repair. Just something to watch for.

Personally if its just a hack to get to work and back, you'd be hard pushed to beat the pug 306 HDI estate. Cheap to buy, run and repair.

Cheers for the heads up on the spring issue.. Not broken any springs but gone through dampers within a few months on this road :cussing:

My folks had an ex-police 306 a few years back which was a great little car! They replaced it with a 207 which is the worst car I've ever driven!