Project R500

So true, just when you think you've covered all the bases re: preparation ,upgrades etc something else is sure to pop up. Worth taking time over though and getting it right first time round , cost depending right enough!

I hope the shell isn't too bad Ciaran. Never a good feeling splashing out for things that weren't expected..

When's it off for the cage ?

Back offshore now :D my mate is coming to have a look at the rust on the shell to see what he thinks.

Can get a pretty mint Type-r shell for 2kish now a days so may be an option would sort of ruin the project name though :rotfl:

Possability of maybe buying a new house in the very near future which would infact speed up the project believe it or not :rotfl:

If the shell is deemed repairable then it will be going for the cage in about 2 months.

Next job when i get home is tidy up the bloody garage as iv been removing bits and just throwing the bits i don't need on the floor so it's officially a total mess as the pic's show hey ho

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Still on the diesel power for now mate. The white beast should be MOT'd and painted for my return onshore on the 22nd. Can't wait, the diesel has 45bhp so the rallye should be a bit more fun if i can master changing into 4th instead of 6th :tumbleweed:

Any more up dates and take it easy in the rallye don't won't to see you hugging any more tree's

Any more up dates and take it easy in the rallye don't won't to see you hugging any more tree's

Not much happened of late as I have been away on holiday and have been offshore more than usual :tumbleweed:

Had to buy new wheels that fitted over my new brakes, here they are what do people think?

post-18593-1279656118.jpg

Hope you keep the RB5 shell, it would be probably be the quickest 5 in the country!

Will most likely keep the shell and learn how to weld. A fist sized hole in the sill at all four jacking point :)

The wheels will suit the car :tumbleweed:

You sure its not a jack sized hole matey??

It may have been a jack sized hole originally but it has obviously got worse and grown.

To be honest it's not a big deal to sort just more hassle than I can be bothered with as I have enough to do as it is

Wheels will be going Dark bronze colour

Hope you keep the RB5 shell, it would be probably be the quickest 5 in the country!

Well it won't be now. Went to see the 3dr shell and agreed to buy it. Will be going gunmetal grey though.

My mate a panel beater looked at the RB5 shell and agrees it's hardly worth fixing.

Ashame but not realy much choice

time for a project name change then!! but think youve made the right decision mate, although itl be a crying shame to see an rb5 bite the dust - any hope for it?

Not from me anyways. Somebody can have the shell and whats left after im finished if they wish.

Now what to call the project now any idea folks??

How about an Alyth 500 :)

You'd have been better selling the RB5 as it was as most of the new project is new and not from the RB5 anyway, bit of a shame to have stripped it apart and find this out but never mind its done now ;)

Alyth 500 emmmmmmmm NO!

I will be using subframes etc from the RB5 also sold the interior and door cards. May stick it away in a shed and return it to it's former glory or maybe not

Project TypeR500 then. ;)

The arches on my RB5 are starting to bubble up now unfortunately. I suppose the winters are harsher up in Scotland though.

Yes mine did the same get it fixed ASAP as it will only get worse and make sure it is done correct first time

As for Typer500 that could be a goer. Best make it Typer600 though as thats more the plan now

• 1 month later...

Well got some new wheels to fit over the new brakes

Impreza18s.jpg

12potwheels.jpg

apart from that i have officially done nothing.

Not able to pick up my 2 door shell for another 10 days or so. Will be fitting subframes and suspension etc so i have a rolling shell so it can be pushed onto the trailer to go for the cage fitting.

Only thing i have bought recently

fuelrails.jpg

They look superbly made and pretty cheap pity about the duty charge coming into the country

Purchased a twin axel braked trailer for much cheapness and put it in the barn last night and as i shut the roller door it fell 5ft on it's own.

So todays job fix the flippin door