Still Can't Rid Of My Boost Problem!

Still cant get my MY00 to boost properly. The car wont rev past 4k rpm when moving, but will stationary (so something to do with the turbo).

Ive cleaned and replaced the BCS, tested the actuator, ran the car with no actuator and just a guage to watch the pressure and still no joy.

Ive removed the old BCS and replaced it with a HKS Boost Controller I had about. Still nothing. Just cant seem to shift it.

The car really jumps back and forth when you try to get past 4k rpm, maybe thought it could be the over boost cut off? But I dont know where that is?

Can anyone help, trying to avoid taking it to a garage as thats cheating. But it may come to it.

Cheers for any help, Ryan.

It has a centre de-cat, but it hasnt been mapped or had the downpipe cat removed. It was running fine until a month or so ago. After I serviced it, which made me think the oil was too high, but wasnt. So now im stumped!!

But the idea of a fuel problem does seem like a good idea!

Ive been searching alot of Scoob websites and so far these seem to get flagged...

1. Blocked Fuel Filter

2. Coil pack gone

3. Spark Gap (plugs)

4. Breaking down leads

Where is this Boost Cut? Is it an ECU controlled safety precaution?

Ryan the last Maf sensor failure on my00 uk turbo i had would not rev above 4k and fuel cut is near 1.25 bar .The Maf sensors are rubbish on the my99/00 years i had three fail over 5 half years of owning the car from new

i had this problem 1 day after tinkering with the engine in my 2001 classic. was like hitting a brick wall at about 4000rpm. i sh*t myself! i checked all the boost pipes for leaks when i got home, turned out i had knocked the bottom pipe off the boost solenoid, oopsie! :D re fitted the pipe, prob solved. i would check all the boost pipes.

Edited by tucku34bt
I unplugged the MAF and it didnt seem to make a difference (which I thought it would if it was knackered?)

If you have unplugged the MAF with the car idling and it continue to idle - THE MAF IS DEAD!!

Change it out for one of the "Green Dot" ones - a little more resiliant.

Russell

Edited by WUZ
I laso have a spare maf sensor......still in box!! if you want to pop over to dundee you can give it a blast!!

It sounds as if everyone with a MY99/00 impreza has a spare Maf Cos I have one too lol, hope you get to the bottom of the problem Ryan

mate, try a search for 'boost' or 'MAF' in the 'Strictly Technical' loads of similar posts there. does your car idle lumpy? have you connected the 2 black connectors under the steering column to check for faults? is your car standard apart from the center de-cat?

mate, try a search for 'boost' or 'MAF' in the 'Strictly Technical' loads of similar posts there. does your car idle lumpy? have you connected the 2 black connectors under the steering column to check for faults? is your car standard apart from the center de-cat?

That might not work on the Dodgy MAF issue as the ECU compensates for the Dodgy MAF and doesn't think it is KAPUT and therefore doesn't show a CEL code. DARN CARS!

Keep us updated on how it goes.

Russell

Edited by WUZ

my MAF went about a month ago, got the CEL light on and showed the fault codes for the MAF, knock sensor and o2 sensor. the car was idling rough and stalling, i was advised on here to disconnect the MAF plug (with the engine off) and if when fired up again the idling improved then my MAF was goosed. i did that and sure enough it did improve. the revs were still a bit lumpy tho, so it wasn't working properly. eventually the MAF got so bad, 1 day when i accelerated the car jolted violently. was undriveable. so i pulled over, switched of the engine, disconnected the plug on the MAF, fired it up again and it went fine. not perfect, but it got me from A to B till my new MAF came. (i drove it of boost)

i am not an expert, so please don't go jumping down my throat because my input is not the same as yours, :gay: this is just advice i got when i had my MAF prob and it worked for me. :D

Sorry was a busy weekend and never got a chance to get on the internet! Cheers for all the help, I will look into get a MAF this week if people who said they have one want to sell one?

The car sometimes wont even rev past 2k rpm, couldnt go any faster than 40mph driving back from Dundee which was embarrasing!

Ive tried cleaning the MAF with Electronic Solvent cleaner and a fibre glass pen, but no joy. Also spoke to Dunc at HyperTech and he also says that its the MAF.

Surely if they are so **** Subaru would have sorted that by now? Like upgraded them?

Surely if they are so **** Subaru would have sorted that by now? Like upgraded them?

WHY? - They can keep you buying spare ones every 12 months or so until you sell the Scoob. Your tied in until you go MAF-less :D

Bar$teward$ :)

Edited by WUZ
The car sometimes wont even rev past 2k rpm, couldnt go any faster than 40mph driving back from Dundee which was embarrasing!

Ive tried cleaning the MAF with Electronic Solvent cleaner and a fibre glass pen, but no joy. Also spoke to Dunc at HyperTech and he also says that its the MAF.

This was the sympton of my last MAF failure, absolute no power in the middle of ovetaking as well, got it home swapped MAF over and away we went, however I have also cleaned one in the past and you have to remember to reset the ecu when you do, you will need to do this when you replace anyway