Got Something Wrong

:thumbup:

did an oil change yesterday.

everything went fine no leaks.

took the car for a drive nothing too hard everything was fine.

a little bit later took my mum upto peterhead half way there my engine management light comes on so took it easy all the way there and back popped the bonnet checked oil was still full and no leaks.

so took it easy on the way home and then i thought i better check my boost pressure so stuck my foot down at 3k rpm and took it up to 6 1/2k rpm in 4th noticed the pressure only went to 14psi and easyed down its self to 10psi i think my normal pressure is 20 ish psi.

i had a simile problem last year lose of boost pressure about the same psi range aswell and it was some sensor but canna remember the name of it its not the maf i know this so any ideas would be much appreciated as i am going to fit headers this week but i canna till i sort this out cheers in advance guys

Hammy,

Make sure you have not put too much oil into the sump when your filled it up after the oil change.

It can often be drawn up into the induction side of the system and end up in the little boost controller on the inside of the wing (drivers side) causing it to reduce the boost and give erratic problems.

Its the valve with two hoses coming out of it. One is at 90 deg the other is straight. If you cant find it just follow the hose from the actuator on the turbo (also linked to the compressor side of the turbo)

Take it off and squirt something like brake cleaner in it and blow it with an airline...see how much crap comes out..its normally a lot.

Try that. I might be miles ooot...but worth a try anyway.

Gid luck loon

hi guys

sorry went to bed early last night was p***ed off with my car.

dont think i have any leaks sounds more like i have put to much oil in it because when i put the oil in it was just above full but i thought to my self it will burn it off.

i ll go and check for any leaks and and try and clen out that valve first to see if it is that cheers hi soob.

my car is an 2002 sti

i have full 3" decat, walbro full pump, pfb7 spark plugs, k&n typoon inner wing indution kit, light weight flyweel, stage 2 clutchoil is changed every 3000 miles and was going to put my headers on this week but want this sorted first.

dont have a oil pressure gauge playsatan2 only have a boost as i put this in just to check the last time i had boost problems dont worry they are on the list of mods aswell.

cheers

Edited by hammy

ok guys i have checked and cleaned out the boost valve which nothing came out off, removed my dv and checked the spring which seemed good cheked for leaks none but still have my engine light on any way?

so i think i am going to have to get a garage to plug in a fault finder and see what the error codes are i think its running in safe mode because it raise to 15psi and drops off to 10psi with the peddale to the floor and rising back up to 15psi nearing the end of the rev range?

any one know were to get this done in aberdeen at a decent price?

cheers

• 4 weeks later...

ok went to a garge to get the engine managment light checked out and and there was a fault so the guy deleted it run for 20miles but i have still got the same problem only running at 10psi so any other suggestions guys would be much help cheers

i went to the closet garage to me wallace performance i know bad move but was in a hurry because i was going to kuwait the next day. usual wallce the did not tell me just said i need a remap same old thing with them every time just to sting you out 600 quid

he may actually be telling the truth as my understanding of the impreza engine/ecu is that it isn't as adaptive as say an audi 1.8T ecu so with the mods you've listed above it may need one.

Can someone confirm if i'm rnot speaking out my a***?

ok cheers buddy

but these mods have been on for a couple of months now and not had the problem until now i am not at home a lot so was seeing if andy f could come up to aberdeen and he said yes but had to cancel because of this as i wanted it sorted out before i got it mapped he said to me that i would be fine to drive off boost until it gets mappped but when the light came on i need to check my boost pressure so had to take it a tad above 3krpm to see and was only boosting to 10psi.

if you overfilled the oil then chances are you have oil in your boost solenoid/pipework and that would explain why you are not seeing full boost. IF it was running ok before you done the oil change and its now showing an error code then i reckon it could be due to this or a sensor failing rather than being in desperate need for a map tho it would be wise with the mods you have.

Get the ecu checked and find out what the code/error actually is and this will help sort your problem mate

would agree, has to be something to do with a sensor packing in or the oil change.

Good news if it isn't rattling though. Can't be an engine issue. Have you drained the oil off a bit? Remember 'just over full' when cold = 'a hell of a lot over full' once the car is hot.

5t.