Magnetic Sump Plug

Anyone use these or are they just cheap useless tat?

Cheers

Gaz

they have got to help i recon but most of the crud inside the engine aint magnetic,so the filter shouldretain it but it will catch all magnetic particles which is a bonus .

i just changed urabus engine oil in his rb5 and checked it for metal particles, clean bill of health .he was well pleased

geo

Wasn't one on my JDM. I added one when I put in a freshly built motor though as I figured there may be some swarf as things beded in.

After the first oil change at 300 miles on mineral oil

127_2786.jpg

after the next 300 miles later

128_2858.jpg

Did one more at 1000 miles and there was so little on it i never even bothered taking a picture. My opinion is what is the harm.

• 4 years later...

Ok so after doing a couple of days at kames and with the car sitting on the drive mon-fri I thought I should really get the oil changed. Now I was thinking that whilst I was doing this I would see if it would be worth fitting a magnetic sump plug. I can't find much info on if they are worth it or not and wondered if anyone could help?

Chris

Ok so after doing a couple of days at kames and with the car sitting on the drive mon-fri I thought I should really get the oil changed. Now I was thinking that whilst I was doing this I would see if it would be worth fitting a magnetic sump plug. I can't find much info on if they are worth it or not and wondered if anyone could help?

Chris

What would it matter your car is standard and relatively unabused, and you wouldbget your fingernails dirty

There's a German company do really strong ones designed specifically for boxer engines. Porsche actually fit them as standard on their 911 Turbo, GT2, and GT3 models. Apparently they had to stop fitting them to the lesser powered models because the magnets are so strong, it was stopping their crankshafts from turning.

So only really recommended if your running 300+ bhp I'd say :thumbup: