Radar/lazer Detectors Any Use ?

I use a micro fuzion safty detector and warn you up to 1000yards before the camera. It also tells you if it is a fixed of mobile camera. £99 and free updates for life. Had mine 2 years and probably saved me having points.

do u get alot of false alarms ?

i have an Origin B2 and swear by it. wouldnt be without it. Does all the speed cameras, does the triple strips in the road, does every band laser dectector, and the pick up tells you if its behid or in front, also tells you if they have got a signal on you or its just ambient.

Not that i speed :D just wondered are radar, lazer detectors any use ? do u have any chance to slow down by the time they warn u ? anybody got one ?

Laser detectors are brilliant for telling you your caught. Of course, if you are on the bubble and about to boost and your laser warning system tells you of a naughty officer pointing a gun at you, will thus give the oppertunity to back off. Other than that: waste of time. I use the Road Angel which is great for speed cameras, it also has a built in laser, which is pointless for the reasons previously stated.

I've got a road angel fitted in mine... Yet there's no fixed speed cameras on my area.. Go figure! Never had it set-off by a mobiel unit yet.. But have had it set off from a mx5 and a handful of BMW's who no doubt had "garage door openers" fitted.. yeah right..

What I use it for is warnign me when I go over 60mph.. The device beeps as I cross 60mph and the screen goes red... Alerting me of my speeds as lets' face it it's easy to drift over it...

But it generally means my hjourneys are noisy as it keeeps flappign between 59 and 61 as I try and make "good progress" on my journeys :D Annoys the hell out of any passengers But I like it...

Yeah basically the laser detector does nothign more than tell you your caught.. It's not an early warning of any kind.. If it alerts out that's because the lazer has got you.. So for that reason, pointless!

Edited by ScoUK

Get youself a propark. Costs about £300 and about another £100 for an optional rear sensor as well.

They are parking sensors, 100% legal. when you are going to reverse or drive into a tight spot you switch them on to help judge the distance.

A "side effect" is that they diffuse police lazer speedguns by "catching" the lazer, and sending back an error code to plod who by the time he has sorted himself out and fired again, you are within the speed limit with the sensor switched off or ifyour giving it yahoo he just gets another error code.

IT IS AGAINST THE LAW TO USE THIS FOR LAZER DIFFUSING.

However I "imagine" its funny seeing a roadside plod check his gun and take aim again, or imagining the p***ed off dude in the back of the van having to put his flask and sandwiches down to reset the camera.

Get youself a propark. Costs about £300 and about another £100 for an optional rear sensor as well.

They are parking sensors, 100% legal. when you are going to reverse or drive into a tight spot you switch them on to help judge the distance.

A "side effect" is that they diffuse police lazer speedguns by "catching" the lazer, and sending back an error code to plod who by the time he has sorted himself out and fired again, you are within the speed limit with the sensor switched off or ifyour giving it yahoo he just gets another error code.

IT IS AGAINST THE LAW TO USE THIS FOR LAZER DIFFUSING.

However I "imagine" its funny seeing a roadside plod check his gun and take aim again, or imagining the p***ed off dude in the back of the van having to put his flask and sandwiches down to reset the camera.

Ive read reports on those things being pants. The lazers now in use cant be jammed by them, and the ones that COULD be only get a 20% hit rate. the others punch through the defence.

Ive read reports on those things being pants. The lazers now in use cant be jammed by them, and the ones that COULD be only get a 20% hit rate. the others punch through the defence.

Evidence would suggest otherwise.

Do you have one fitted?

I had one of the first Road Angels, but traded it for an Origin B2.

These tend to be good for fixed sites, and good if you drive on unfamiliar road all over the country.

But they were both hopeless for mobile camera vans; or plods cars out on rally routes.

So I much prefer the old fashioned Bel radar detector.

Good enough to pick up a traffic car last weekend at the Speyside rally just outside Elgin sitting with a laser gun; before I could see it.

People presume a lazer gun is one fire of laser beam directly onto the target, but they actually do still scatter the beam and it's those it picks up.

Always know your enemy ;)

A few months ago I was driving along the A92 towards Glenrothes, radar went off, I wasn't speeding but round the corner was the camera van.

The latest Bel RX-65 is just over £120 (plus shipping, tax) if bought from the USA, and is even better than my older version. So will be upgrading soon.

Davy

PS. There is always talk of making these illegal, and they were going to change the Law; but just before it was due to go through in 2005, there was a general election and this was cancelled. And under the rules the motion can't be raised again for some time. ;)

Evidence would suggest otherwise.

Do you have one fitted?

I meant to add that the laser jammers are really frowned upon and will lead to a whole host of trouble if caught with one.

I read a case recently that a camera van had their signal jammed by one, and if this happens the operator has to photograph the car, then report the incident.

Local plod then went to the car owner and took the car for inspection. Of course they found the jammer behind the grill, owner got something like a 6 month ban and a fine.

I'll try to find the incident on line, but i think it was in the magazine Networx's in Lanark post out.

So I much prefer the old fashioned Bel radar detector.

Good enough to pick up a traffic car last weekend at the Speyside rally just outside Elgin sitting with a laser gun; before I could see it.

People presume a lazer gun is one fire of laser beam directly onto the target, but they actually do still scatter the beam and it's those it picks up.

Always know your enemy :D

A few months ago I was driving along the A92 towards Glenrothes, radar went off, I wasn't speeding but round the corner was the camera van.

That's interesting... I thought they did away with all the old radar guns a few years ago and were just using laser ones these days... ;)

I meant to add that the laser jammers are really frowned upon and will lead to a whole host of trouble if caught with one.

I read a case recently that a camera van had their signal jammed by one, and if this happens the operator has to photograph the car, then report the incident.

Local plod then went to the car owner and took the car for inspection. Of course they found the jammer behind the grill, owner got something like a 6 month ban and a fine.

Yeah.. Not worth the hassle IMHO.. and even if it is a legitimate garage door opener you'll probably be forced to have a switch to disable it when on the road.. You may defeat detection once but there'll be a whole load of questioning when you get home ;)

Edited by ScoUK

I have used a BEL 550 for over 8 years and its saved me a few times. Its very dated now and can't keep up with the modern scameras as most of them are becoming digital. As for lasers if someone ahead of you is getting aimed at then my laser alert will warn me but if its aimed at you then you have little time to defend yourself. Its great for most fixed and hand held guns though. To be fair the fixed cameras are clearly visible now and any mobile site will have camera warning signs (any GPS detector will pick these sites up too). They are only an extra eye but they are not foolproof.

I'll try to find the incident on line, but i think it was in the magazine Networx's in Lanark post out.

Yup, they dont like it up em.

But they do work. ;)