A Big Thank You To Awd And Sidc

I can c where addison is coming from i joined last year and i have only made it to 1 meet, it`s hard 2 walk up to a bunch of guys and say hello bcause you don`t know what they will say especially me i`m 23 and i was at awd and i`m getting slatted for having a bodykit and sounds fitted to my ra. I`m not saying you r a bad bunch of blokes but there has been comments made about my car and it wasn`t nice so from that example you can see how hard to talk 2 a bunch of strangers.

Here mate, people slag my cars bodykit all the time. So much so it is now water off a Duck's back and beauty is only skin deep as they say

Addison, come down to a Gla meet sometime. We do an newbie introduction at our meets so everyone gets to put a face to a user name

As far as the formation of wee groups occuring, sometimes this is down to it being the first oppertunity friends have seen each other, or more importantly thier car, for some time. I have frequented these forums for a good few years now and have made friends with numerous people through that time, moral is stick in there mate as we were ALL newbies at one point or another.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've followed this thread with interest and was going to post my own point of view, but Duncan has pretty much beat me to it. I agree 100% with what he says.

My first meet was the Glenshee photoshoot run a few years back. That was a big event and when we met, strangely enough at AWD (even though they weren't open or there) it was very daunting. All these blokes with their heads under bonnets talking techie stuff that went way over my head. Although I enjoyed the run, in retrospect it was probably a mistake to make my first meet such a big one. I only knew, at the time, Gumball and he was hardly the best influence in the world! :D

Not long after that I went to a Fife meet - WAYYYYYY better. Small group - maybe a dozen tops. Out for a run, bit of food - far easier to get to know people and WAY less intimidating.

While the OP may have gone about his post the wrong way, I can understand to an extent his disappointment. It DID seem cliquey to me to start off and I did, as a totally mechanically clueless muppet find it hard to get involved and even now anything mechanical goes totally over my head. However, I don't agree with some of the posts in reply especially those made by representatives of AWD. I used to work in sales and one thing I was told that has stuck is "The customer is not always right, but he's never wrong." Read into that what you like. I've never used AWD, but based on their reaction to this topic I have no desire to. I should point out that my opinion is based purely on me as a Scooby owner and driver and is not an official SIDC opinion. Ignore the Admin badge. I'd like to think I'm still entitled to a personal opinion... :hello:

To the OP - there are some great guys in this Club. I'm pretty close to Stirling, as is Wilky. If you want to head to the OSIDC (Pete's restaurant in Paisley) some Saturday night, meet some good SIDC blokes where there is top banter and more than a fair share of piss-taking and where you'll be made more than welcome then PM me.

Andy my post on this topic are my own personal opinions also and do not represent AWD, ill say to you what I have said before, why dont you come along to AWD whether it be an open day or just in the passing, meet the guys have a chat.

Ive tryed to add a bit of humour in to one of my replys but I see that has went down well lol, No offence was intended.

Addison im sure AWD would welcome your response on what exactly went wrong for you at the open day call them or send a P/M via any of the AWD team on here if you dont want to post on this thread again.

Paddy :D

As far as the formation of wee groups occuring, sometimes this is down to it being the first oppertunity friends have seen each other, or more importantly thier car, for some time.

Yeah most often, these meets are the only chance that I get to see a lot of people from the other regions..... :hello:

:huh::rotfl::D

:hello::D:D

Well, I wasn't there - but - I have been there before and EVERYBODY has been very welcoming and forthcoming so I really cannot believe this! I know for a fact and frae experience that in this club people that you don't even know will come up to you and just start chatting, even if they don;t know you.

Sigh ... remind me of another site this :D

Right, off to see if I can get somebody to talk to me ... :hyper:;)

What a helpfull post Mr Toad. And this coming from someone that was an RO............. well for all of 5 minutes anyway. :D

Want to elaborate on the "other site" comment???

I've only ever been to AWD twice, once before the Colin McRae rally last year (they loved the "rowies" in Perth !) and also when I took Steve down to collect his car that had been in to get some work done. Very courteous and friendly guys there who were also kind enough buy Calenders from me for the Aberdeen Santa Cruise.

Edited by kloon

In my opinion i think it would help new members if you see a strange car at meet a meet and a lost sheep get out like maself gets out it would b nice if someone walked over and greeted them, I know it sounds daft but if you take into example the workplace when a new guy starts you talk to him and show him the ropes you have to remember alot of these people don`t have a clue who you r and what its all about, I still don`t know so am goin to try and brass neck it at the central meet.

I would like to say thank you to the guys at awd! I spoke to them briefly when i got my diagnostic done and the guys where superb and could tell me what was wrong and how to fix it, i have been lookin for a decent garage to send my pride and joy to and think av found it so i hope to see you guys soon with hand ful of cash.

Edited by boab type ra
In my opinion i think it would help new members if you see a strange car at meet a meet and a lost sheep get out like maself gets out it would b nice if someone walked over and greeted them, I know it sounds daft but if you take into example the workplace when a new guy starts you talk to him and show him the ropes you have to remember alot of these people don`t have a clue who you r and what its all about, I still don`t know so am goin to try and brass neck it at the central meet.

and you will be most welcome.....get your brass neck over to me and say hi....

and stick your name down on the list.....

see you tom evening.... :hello:

I have to agree with superstar tradesman regarding SIDC, his first central meet was mine also and everyone was very friendly. Like I say, an open day probably isn't the best time to be making sweeping judgements about the Scooby scene. Go to AWD yourself or pop along to a regional SIDC meet and you'll soon find out we're a very friendly bunch. Unless you turn up in an EVO :D

That was until we found out what you do for a living! :P:D

I would like to say thank you to the guys at awd! I spoke to them briefly when i got my diagnostic done and the guys where superb and could tell me what was wrong and how to fix it, i have been lookin for a decent garage to send my pride and joy to and think av found it so i hope to see you guys soon with hand ful of cash.

Good luck av still got the "brass neck " bit to come lol :D

Do it man, its WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY easier than you think....

like folks have said, they all wonder waht it is that they were worrying about the first time!!!

All it takes is to meet just one or 2 people on your first meet, and grow from there... :D

I freely admit that i have traveled many a mile just to stroke Dale's beard. I was severly dissappointed that last time we met when i found out that he "brazilined" it off

Best meet up was at the Milk Bar after track day at Knockhill. We all sat, we me anyway, staring at the finest Cherry Pie, loverly young fresh tottie with sweet loverly (pictures on the wall of) bonnie puppies.

Edited by The Squiggle