A Big Thank You To Awd And Sidc

I had my first meet last week in Elgin, i'm quite shy when i don't know anyone. But as said before you need to put your brass neck on put your hand forward, meet & greet people. I can only say from the guys i met & there were a few of them at AWD there a great bunch and look forward to meeting them all again, When i'm at home obviously!

Shame you feel like that mate, hopefully you've got it in you're heart to give everyone a second chance.

Regards

Wayne

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

damn i missed the drifting

the only thing that offended me today was some of the bodykits/spoilers/lights that were fitted to some cars

apart from that was all good

althou i was marked for death by the fast one, cant remember why

aah,p1 ggm,that was you that dale marked for death! i was the guy who commented that mad serial killers usually have wild hair and scraggy beards... and im in total agreement,each to their own but to burden an ra with a n over the top badykit and 'kicking'sound system is criminal to me,minimum weight,maximum go.though i say that from a lardy newage!

i do notice that most of the guys being critical on here i havent seen at meets or posting much- misunderstood newbies or loners who cant be bothered to join in,decide for yourself

though it has to be said that its entirely understandable anyone being put off by dales appearance, but hes quite tame. honest.

Emmm.... Wow... :icon_butt:

I really am honestly STUNNED shocked, all the rest... I really cannot belive that ANYONE that was at this day had anything like this to say...

REALLY REALLY...

I got there just before Lunchtime, and I could only pick out about 2-3 people that I actually know from the club, a few came later... I went in pretty much first thing to see Grant about the bits that I was after, it wasn't a quick affair, as Euan was getting some bits first, and with as much going on, the phone was going a lot, lots of people asking a lot of questions, and just chatting about stuff in general... got everything that I was after, and a little more... :icon_salut:

I even took the offer of the engine diagnostic (I had to reset the ECU a few weeks ago)

The staff at AWD were FIRST CLASS today, yes it was busy, but I wouldn't have said that they were stretched... and they could not have been more friendly, they were happily speaking to EVERYONE... :) In fact, I think that I spoke to all 4 of them throughout the course of the day...

As for there being club members there... to be honest, I think that I looked about, and saw mebbe 3 or 4 cars including my own, that had SIDC stickers on today... and a handfull of guys that I could recognise (And I know EVERYONE IN THE WORLD!!! :P )... even then, I've met a few new people today... it wasn't hard, I just asked who they were...

As for you Addison, Who are you? what do you drive? why did you not just come and say hello? what times were you there? did you actually go and see grant? did you go to the reception desk at all, where he was most of the day...?

Is your car like your avatar? I seem to remember at least one car of a similar colour (think it was a WR1) where there was like 3 people that just sat there... don't know if they even got out of the car the whole time that they were there???

I don't know, I just find that your post was a bit off... I don't believe that your comments are really fair on the few regulars that were there, or AWD....

althou i was marked for death by the fast one, cant remember why

:thumbup: I dont know I cant remember either... Must have been serious.... :P

Anyways, isn't Marked for death a dodgy film by Steven Seagull? :crying:

Nice to meet you today mate, and the other Guy with the honda... (Sorry never actually got his name...)

Don't give up hope!! :icon_salut:

My experience from the club is that I had been on the forums for a few months last year, hadn't made it to any monthly meets and the first club thing I went along to was the McRae rally where we met in Glasgow then again at AWD.

That was my first time meeting people but after introducing yourself.....that was that. Had a great day out and have since made it to meetings and know some of the regulars.

Been to meetings where there are first timers and can see how it might be hard to get into a wee group that are talking but we all love the cars so have a common theme to talk about!

Is your car like your avatar? I seem to remember at least one car of a similar colour (think it was a WR1) where there was like 3 people that just sat there... don't know if they even got out of the car the whole time that they were there???

I spoke to the boys in the wr1 he is not an sidc member tried to join up but couldn t get it done online but he uses awd with his car according to him and likes the service he got with decat and remap there .Craig

think of it like this

what happens when you walk into a bar full of folk?

do they all turn round and greet you like they do in Cheers??

no

but, it's full of like minded people is it not, so why then are they not talking to me ???

it's always a case of peolpe making an effort, if you just stand back you'll be walking home on your tod and saying hello to Mrs Palm and not some leggy blonde

dont think the boys at AWD would not try and talk to everyone, it's trying to get a word in that i've had an issue with at times

:icon_salut::icon_butt::thumbup:

now that's odd yesterday was my first day there. an got my car looked at and chatted away fine with meny folk. got some good advice about what to do next on my car and even went away with the wallet a bit lighter. lol. i thougth it was a good day n nice 2 meet some new scooby drivers

Well - firstly I can see both sides to this.

Turning up at an open day is normally a great way to meet new folk and other members, but like said above you need to wander on in there and introduce your self, even though it can be daunting.

AWD - Never been there but I'd guess they were pretty busy. I cant see why they would go out their way not to speak to everyone, its in their best interests to speak to as much people as poss, and secure any possible future buisness. I always find it easier to call and arange an appointment when folk are not bussy if I really want to spend time going over details of stuff I want ordered / fitted. Your more likely to get more 1 on 1 time.

ON THE OTHER HAND

I can see where he is coming from. My first SIDC meet was a bit awkward, everyone seemed very cleaquey (sp?) and I felt like and outsider (And I am NOT shy LOL) but I went to the next one where there was a smaller turn out and also I arrived early so that I could meet people as they arrived as opposed to walking into a group of folk. :thumbup:

BUT

The kind of replies to this thread really are not helping to put the situation right are they. :icon_salut:

Things like posting "EVERYONE" in bold capital wont make the guy think "actually I should have introduced my self" will it??????

And TBH folk should know better. We have all been there as the newbee and its not always easy.

If he was in any doubt about staying on here before, he certainly wont now, will he. :icon_butt:

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Duncan

I remember when I was totally new to Scooby ownership. I phoned up AWD and spoke with Grant and Andy. I then went up to see them and they both spent a fair bit of time with me explaining all the options available for upgrading my car's performance. They explained the costs, and worked out a plan so that I could upgrade things in stages. They couldn't have been more helpful, and their expertise showed when I got my car back from them - a very different beast which could (and did) embarrass many a so-called supercar. I can only imagine that a busy open day wasn't the best day to expect to spend some time with the guys. I'm sure you'd have found things very different if you'd just popped in through the week, or phoned and arranged to visit them to discuss what you wanted to do to your car. There's no way Grant or Andy would knowingly ignore a potential customer, after all AWD is their livelihood. I would give them a call and go up when they can spend some decent time with you. I have to agree with superstar tradesman regarding SIDC, his first central meet was mine also and everyone was very friendly. Like I say, an open day probably isn't the best time to be making sweeping judgements about the Scooby scene. Go to AWD yourself or pop along to a regional SIDC meet and you'll soon find out we're a very friendly bunch. Unless you turn up in an EVO :icon_salut:

I remember when I was totally new to Scooby ownership. I phoned up AWD and spoke with Grant and Andy. I then went up to see them and they both spent a fair bit of time with me explaining all the options available for upgrading my car's performance. They explained the costs, and worked out a plan so that I could upgrade things in stages. They couldn't have been more helpful, and their expertise showed when I got my car back from them - a very different beast which could (and did) embarrass many a so-called supercar. I can only imagine that a busy open day wasn't the best day to expect to spend some time with the guys. I'm sure you'd have found things very different if you'd just popped in through the week, or phoned and arranged to visit them to discuss what you wanted to do to your car. There's no way Grant or Andy would knowingly ignore a potential customer, after all AWD is their livelihood. I would give them a call and go up when they can spend some decent time with you. I have to agree with superstar tradesman regarding SIDC, his first central meet was mine also and everyone was very friendly. Like I say, an open day probably isn't the best time to be making sweeping judgements about the Scooby scene. Go to AWD yourself or pop along to a regional SIDC meet and you'll soon find out we're a very friendly bunch. Unless you turn up in an EVO :icon_butt:

:icon_salut:

I can see where he is coming from. My first SIDC meet was a bit awkward, everyone seemed very cleaquey (sp?) and I felt like and outsider (And I am NOT shy LOL) but I went to the next one where there was a smaller turn out and also I arrived early so that I could meet people as they arrived as opposed to walking into a group of folk. :icon_salut:

I would totally agree. Walking into a crowd of people who all know each other is tricky, and people do seperate off into wee groups, after all, it is impossible to speak to everyone at once!

I had a similar experience at my first meet but stuck the brass neckl on and just said hello, since then i've had lots of help off people and hopefully, given a fair bit back!

Perhaps we shoul;d be looking to welcome the new face a bit better but an event this size is possibly not the best place to have done it. I couldn't make it up although i wanted to and it simply sounds as though AWD were vixctims of their own success with this one. The fact that so many weent should say something abou the usual standard of service to be expected (and i've never used them- least not yet!)

5t.

in line with most i dont think its fair to post such a harsh review. because grant and co take the time to explain what different parts do and fiqure out whats suitable for you, their time is obviously more in demand.

i didnt post before as its turned into a bit of a bandwagon as duncatr rightly points out. we all make mistakes so hopefully you will come back. :icon_salut:

I've followed this thread with interest and was going to post my own point of view, but Duncan has pretty much beat me to it. I agree 100% with what he says.

My first meet was the Glenshee photoshoot run a few years back. That was a big event and when we met, strangely enough at AWD (even though they weren't open or there) it was very daunting. All these blokes with their heads under bonnets talking techie stuff that went way over my head. Although I enjoyed the run, in retrospect it was probably a mistake to make my first meet such a big one. I only knew, at the time, Gumball and he was hardly the best influence in the world! :icon_butt:

Not long after that I went to a Fife meet - WAYYYYYY better. Small group - maybe a dozen tops. Out for a run, bit of food - far easier to get to know people and WAY less intimidating.

While the OP may have gone about his post the wrong way, I can understand to an extent his disappointment. It DID seem cliquey to me to start off and I did, as a totally mechanically clueless muppet find it hard to get involved and even now anything mechanical goes totally over my head. However, I don't agree with some of the posts in reply especially those made by representatives of AWD. I used to work in sales and one thing I was told that has stuck is "The customer is not always right, but he's never wrong." Read into that what you like. I've never used AWD, but based on their reaction to this topic I have no desire to. I should point out that my opinion is based purely on me as a Scooby owner and driver and is not an official SIDC opinion. Ignore the Admin badge. I'd like to think I'm still entitled to a personal opinion... :icon_salut:

To the OP - there are some great guys in this Club. I'm pretty close to Stirling, as is Wilky. If you want to head to the OSIDC (Pete's restaurant in Paisley) some Saturday night, meet some good SIDC blokes where there is top banter and more than a fair share of piss-taking and where you'll be made more than welcome then PM me.

I do know where he is coming from with the whole newbie thing, i'm still there, i've been to 2 meets now and still feel a bit left out, so I do understand how hard it can be to feel left out a bit. But to post the way he did wasn't the best way as has been pointed out many times :hello:

Best thing to do is drive back to AWD and give em all a slap :D

I can c where addison is coming from i joined last year and i have only made it to 1 meet, it`s hard 2 walk up to a bunch of guys and say hello bcause you don`t know what they will say especially me i`m 23 and i was at awd and i`m getting slatted for having a bodykit and sounds fitted to my ra. I`m not saying you r a bad bunch of blokes but there has been comments made about my car and it wasn`t nice so from that example you can see how hard to talk 2 a bunch of strangers.