Colin Mcrae Celebration Service

Hey there i'm new to the site, but owned a scooby for around a year now, was actually thinking of selling it in next few months but after attending the service yesterday and being part of the convoy, and seeing how much it meant to everyone, there is no chance I will be getting rid of the car anytime soon.

It was an incredible day and one I will never forget, a massive thanks again to all who made this day happen.

James

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday will stay with us for the rest of our lives, although I wish it didn't have to.

It was something else to see so many Scoobs and people all for the same True Hero, I'm sure Colin would have been very touched.

A massive well done to Grant and the Police it couldn't have been organised any better.

Anyway time to sign off before I fill up again.

Only really back on line just now after getting back late last night..........

I am really glad I dragged my erse on the 400 mile round trip....twas a great day despite the tragic reason for our attendance.

Thanks to Grant, Imy, Karps and many of the other organisers for their hard work.

I was torn between between warm feelings and exceptional sad moments all day. The convoy was a sight to behold and the police were fantastic.

As for the service of celebration.......What a great tribute, the speeches, the music, the footage, the stories. I loved every minute of it.

It has really struck me hard over the last few weeks that you really only appreciate a person or place when they are never to be seen again.

We celebrated his life in style but the way we have been forced the reflect on his life in this way is so so saddening. It really makes you appreciate your

very existence and that fact that you should treat every day like your last.

So long Colin, thanks for the thrills, the memories and for giving me a very worthy but expensive hobby. Gone but not forgotten !

62 Pictures in here

http://calum-shand.fotopic.net/c1380481.html

p.s who was in the great sounding classic going up the M74 with me ? I got serously sideways on the on-ramp to the M74 whilst pursuing you. It was not intentional but Colin would have been proud. Your exhaust note is UNBELIEVABLE by the way. I had my window down the whole way up the road !

Although it was a very sad occasion that brought us all together, it was a very memorable day that will stay with me for a very long time.

I'd just like to express a huge word of thanks to:

- All of those who made things happen on the day - Grant, Imy, Ally-B and others, Strathclyde police, Lanarkshire council amongst many others.

- Those who attended the event, some driving very long distances to get there. Your attendance was very much appreciated.

The speeches, videos, photos and music were very moving, and at times there was barely a dry eye amongst the crowd where I was standing, though I was very pleased that there were many humourous anecdotes and stories as well. I was particularly moved by Dave Richards and Ari Vatanen who gave very personal insights of Colin throughout his career.

The event was a very fitting tribute to a true hero and legend.

I have uploaded some of my photos here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnsidc/sets...57602226874075/

I have not had time to do any post processing on most of these to adjust brightness/contrast etc., but I'll do this over the coming days.

Apologies if I didn't get a photo of your car - I had to run to my own car after about half the convoy went through to avoid getting left behind.

If anyone wants any high resolution copies of any photos then you'll find details on the flickr website. 100% of donations (plus 28% gift aid) will go to the Jerviswood Trust. I'll take the hit on any paypal fees etc.

John

great video Stewart - the sight and sound of us setting off is giving me goosebumps!

any more video footage?

unfortunately the footage from the lead car didnt quite turn out the way we wanted it to - got 10 mins of me sitting stationary in Happendon as Grant started recording a bit too early :(

great video Stewart - the sight and sound of us setting off is giving me goosebumps!

any more video footage?

unfortunately the footage from the lead car didnt quite turn out the way we wanted it to - got 10 mins of me sitting stationary in Happendon as Grant started recording a bit too early :(

Thanks very much, it was more luck where we were standing when everyone left. Ive got a short video of some the cars stationary in Happendon, didnt think any footage take from Richie's car would have came out so didnt bother making any. I'll stick the other one on youtube now.

Cal- Totally agree with you mate, sounded awesome. I heard it as it arrived, hence why I turned the camera for when he left. Great sounding machine.

Edited by StewartyBoy
p.s who was in the great sounding classic going up the M74 with me ? I got serously sideways on the on-ramp to the M74 whilst pursuing you. It was not intentional but Colin would have been proud. Your exhaust note is UNBELIEVABLE by the way. I had my window down the whole way up the road !

I'm sure that was me Cal, you were behind me from Lanark to when you went onto the M8. It was great to have a little run home with someone else. :(

Nice to know other drivers can hear when the car pops and bangs away. :driving:

Hope to meet you next time other than a wave at the end.

Alan.

oh I don't have equal length headers I have RCM Headers. :D

An absolutely top day under the circumstances and i'm so glad i made it.

I had to fight back the tears on several occasions especially at the momories of Johnny as i have a boy of similar age and they played johnny's, which turns out to be my sons favourite song aswell, life is a highway.

Some of the things said have changed my veiw on life especially Colin's saying.. I'm here for a good time, not a long time.

A huge thanks to Ally, Billy, the police and all involved in making it a day i will never forget.

Life is far too short, Enjoy it while you can my friends..

Johnny.

ive spent all day thinking
of what i want to say
of the day we said goodbye
to our hero Colin Mcrae

Trying to find the words
to say just how i feel
amzing awesome wonderful
or how about unreal

The 'scoobs' turned up in numbers
that no one could expect
to join all togehter
and pay our last respects

Each and every one
behaved with dignity
an all the scoobs goin up the valley
was such a sight to see

so thanks to every one and all
for the show of unity
farewell now johnny and colin
in our hearts youll always be.

God rest and look after Johnny And Colin .

From Colin's website:

Speaking on behalf of the McRae family, Alister McRae said:

"It's been a very difficult time, not just for us, but for both the other families as well. To have received as much support as we have through the website, cards and flowers, is overwhelming and pretty amazing."

"Colin will be remembered for what he was; an extremely gifted driver, a great person and a good friend to a lot of people."

END

Additional Notes:

Official crowd estimates indicate that over 20,000 people attended the outdoor service in Lanark High Street, relayed from the service inside St Nicholas Church. The crowd overflowed the High Street (capacity 20,000) into St Leonard’s Street and Bannatyne Street.

750 family members, friends and guests filled the church to capacity which suggests that well in excess of 21,000 people were in Lanark for the day – a town which ‘normally’ has a population of around 8,250.

Amongst those attending the service (in no particular order) were Mr I Kudoh / Mr S Sagaya from Subaru in Japan, Damon Hill, Lord March, Malcolm and Matthew Wilson and Marcus Gronholm (Ford World Rally Team), Andrew Cowan, Dario and Marino Franchitti, Luis Moya, Allan McNish, John Cleland, Jason Plato, Christian Loriaux, Sven Quandt (BMW), Guy Frequelin (Citroen World Rally Team), Didier Auriol, Mark and Paul Stewart, Derek Ringer, Nicky Grist, Phil Mills, Ian Grindrod, David Lapworth (Prodrive), Fred Gallagher, Stefan Bengtsson, Ronan Morgan, Andrew Nesbitt, Damien Crawford, Kris Meeke, Bill Gwynne, Terry Kaby, Paul Di Resta, John Richardson (MSA), Tony Mason, Mike Broad, Ken Wood, Brian Lyall, David Gillanders – and many, many more.

What an amazing day.. Full of mixed emotions!...

Well planned and huge thanks to everyone involved with organising the day expecially the local police, great work.

Eariler in the week I wasn't planning on going down for this but on thursday night I changed my mind and thought I'll never get the opportunity give my support to something like this again. So on Sunday I came all the way down from Elgin To pay my respects. Met a couple of your guys at Stirling Services, felt left out not having a hawkeye TBH (Which reminds me, I owe someone £2 for a mug of coffee :( ) .. I am so glad I decided to make the journey!.. The convoy was fantastic!! Made a good lasting impression it's a shame it wasn't telivised or reported on.. That was a once in a lifetime event, and there is nothing else that will make that happen again..

The service was spot on as I say, mixed emotions during the proceedings, a day I will never forget. The stories about Johnny were heart braking, a fun wee lad, so clearly from such an early age had the same blood as his father and his father before that. No disrespect to brother Alistair who is a competitive driver, but Colin had that extra boost from somewhere that we will never truely understand and may never see again.

Sadly I left the day with two regrets... First was not having a chance to meet more of you guys on the day.. Since the point of entering the happendon services I was bombarded by people who wanted the Colin McRae tribute stickers, I only had enough vinyl left for a small handful on the day and thanks for all the support so far (I'll have more available once I order more vinyl). Just on sunday alone with the sales of stickers £87 will be donated to the Jerviswood Trust! That's not including sales last week and sales to come.

My seconds regret, not so much of the day itself but rather the feeling that I'll never have the chance to meet the great man himself.. I'd often hoped to meet Colin someday and sit down and have a casual chat and finally meet the man behind the wheel.. But that's never going to happen now... is it........

... R.I.P. Colin....