FAO 4Hero and El Bandito-Strut Braces

Gus,

What other scooby mods do you sell?

You seem to be the man in the know for alot of stuff.

I dont sell but have have access to Spoilers, exhaust parts (all) strut braces, dump valves (very,very loud tho) I wouldnt have one myself[;)] quick shifts eh detango bulbs, upgrade bulbs. basically I know a GOOD few folk in the trade who pass on the savings.[;)] If there is something in particular you are after just ask and I'll ask my contacts.

Cheers

Gus' Subaru Emporium[:o]

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd speak to Wuz about Defi's. What do you want to do on the brakes front? Braided hoses with dot 5.1 and decent pads would be a great start.

There was a group buy on braided hoses and fluid recently. You MIGHT be lucky if you phone tomorrow and get it on it as they extended the closing date. A great cheap mod.[Y]

http://forums.sidc.co.uk/forums/791069/ShowPost.aspx

Cheers 

Gus 

Chris, the 4 pots have their limitations, but you can work within them. The standard discs are really only pushed beyond their limits with track work or very fast road use. They're not vetned, drilled, grooved, nothing, just solid, so their big problem is heat dissipation, which obviously spreads to the lines, and subsequently the fluid in them, and of course to the pads themselves.

By fitting better hoses, filling them with better fluid, and by fitting better pads you can have a setup which works pretty well for average and fast road use, with a view to installing better discs when the standard ones wear out.

I've managed to get 33K out of my standard front discs but I'm on my third set of pads. In that time I've done 5 trackdays. Some people will think that I've not been using my brakes, but I'm quite efficient on them, and I like to go round the corners faster [;)]

So depending on what life you have left on the front discs you could possible get in another set of pads or 2 before they'll need replaced, saving yourself a bit of money in the process.

If you want to really upgrade then the first option would be to move to the Godspeed kit. This retains the calipers, but spaces them out to fit thicker pads, and moves them further out from the centre to fit larger discs. This is supposed to be a very good kit and comes in about the £650 mark I think. That includes the pads and discs and all the gubbins required to do the work. Not braided lines though I think. Downsides - need to get the discs from godspeed in the future as they're made to measure AFAIK. Upsides - no need for larger wheels etc, and relatively cost effective.

Next option - Brembos off an STI. Cost depends on if they're new or used and varies wildly. Upsides - direct fit, plenty of options in terms of discs and pads etc. Downsides - need to fit bigger wheels as the WRX ones wont clear them

Option 3 - full replacement kit from AP or Wilwood etc. - COSTLY but GREAT!

Personally, I think I'm going to stick with the stock setup but get better discs next time round. I know the godspeed kit would give brembos a decent run for their money, but ultimately I'd just want APs, so the cheapest option will suffice.

MAYBE!

Option 3 - full replacement kit from AP or Wilwood etc. - COSTLY but GREAT!

Personally, I think I'm going to stick with the stock setup but get better discs next time round. I know the godspeed kit would give brembos a decent run for their money, but ultimately I'd just want APs, so the cheapest option will suffice.

MAYBE!

Was it the shot of my car that made you relised how good AP's are??[;)]

They were very nice indeed Peter. I couldn't believe how it wanted to stop with minimal pressure on the pedal and with no warming up. I had to adjust my heel and toeing so that I didn't put you and Terzo Neil through the windows.

Should take a few seconds off your KH lap times. If we can get you to finish off an event that is [;)]

I put a set of STI Brembo calipers and discs with red stuff pads on mine yesterday along with braided hoses all round and Motul 5.1 dot fluid. The difference is amazing. I've got a set of Rota GRA 17 inch wheels which are designed to fit over the Brembos. Next up will be new rear discs and pads. You can pick up Brembos quite cheap if you look around mine came off an 04 STI a guy at work bought them for his Nissan ZX 300! they didnt fit so I took them off his hands for 300 fat ones. A bargin!!