Advice? What engine oil?

10W/60 for hard-used cars (trackdays, etc) and 10W/40 for more road-based carsie, day-to-day runners with minor abuse.

NEVER USEA 0W oil like Mobil1........BAD NEWS ON A SCOOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Too thin a cold viscosity!

Whatever it is, make sure it is fully synthetic.

I only supply and use Millers 10W/40, 10W/60 or Motul 330v 15W/50 (use this in my car and its VERY GOOD)

Russell ( always have at least 20 litres of each of the above "in stock" at all times)

10w/40 for me - recommended by Oilman (use Silkolene Pro S) and used by Subaru (Shell Helix normally).

The 60 is for harder driven, heavily modified cars I  have been told.

Brian [:D

A 60 weight oil is for drag cars that dump so much fuel into the sump that they need such a thick oil to start with so they have got something left at the end to lubricate. Same applies with seriously Webbered cars like Ferarri 512's and lastly to real dinosaur motor bikes like Harley flat and knuckle heads. I know some of you chaps are using this stuff but why? You will be loosing substantial amounts of power to pumping losses and the extra heat this generates will not only cause the car to run hotter than necessary but the extra heat will thin out the 'thick' oil so you could be back where you started from 

Better to be a bit thinner and cooler?

N.B. Race cars now run the lastest 30 weight oils and actually qualify on a 20 weight!!

Glad this thread came on!

I usually put Motul 330v 15W/50 in the engine, but I could not get any for last Monday, when the car was getting serviced.  Popped into Halfords and checked their book to see what they advised.  Mobil 1 0w-40.  So thats whats in the car

When I see this yesterday, got really worried.  Called Duncan @ Hypertech, and he advised to get it changed asap. 

Gettin changed again on Monday.  So thats £45 down for the Mobil one and now the 6 litres of Motul and the new filter!  Great!

Think I might pop in and chin Halfords tomorrow!

• 3 weeks later...