More Buying Advice Please MY98 or MY99?

I recently posted a message on here about buying an import WRX, since then and after much research I have decided that I would rather get a UK car for various reasons. After looking at prices on autotrader the prices of these cars vary greatly. Far to many people wanting unrealistic prices for private sales (silmilar to dealer prices), which I am not that interested in as I want some kind of a warranty/come back in the unlikely event of any problems.

The main point of this post is that I want to know is there a great deal of difference between the specification of these cars. Looking at FAQ's section on this website the 99 model looks like the one to go for as it appears to have better brakes and suspension. Although these cars are slightly out of my budget unless I got a high mileage car which I do not want! I think I would probably be looking at a MY98 car or an MY97 (with non-standard alloys). If I got one of these cars it would be with a view to upgrading the brakes to 99 model spec if I thought they needed it. The only UK car I have driven is a 1995 Wagon which I thought the suspension was very poor and bouncy for a car with this type of power. So what I basically want to know is the suspension better on the MY97 and MY98 cars, as if it isn't I think I would rather save up or borrow more to get an MY99 spec car as I do not want to upgrade the suspension aswell as the brakes. I drove a 1992 WRX and the suspension in this car was superb compared to the UK car I drove, didn't knock your fillings out but cornered really flat instead of wallowing about. The extra 7BHP on the MY99 car is probably not worth bothering about, I will have to test drive a few of these cars but living in the middle of nowhere makese this not an easy task!!

I just bought a MY00 car with high(ish) mileage .. It does have fSsh and I had it fully tested by a friend who is a mechanic .. It would appear it's one owner was one of these accountant types you read about who plod up and down motorways and 70 mph probably not even realising it has a turbo and actually do less harm to it than one of the baseball capped brigade who have thrashed the nuts off it around town only covering 30 or so thousand miles ...

My friend's exact words were " I can't fault it .."

The car is immaculate and runs as if straight out of the showroom ... (The trouble is finding one, I had to travel a bit to get it, but it was def worth it ...)

Good debate and places like TSL would offer you a warranty on an import however all my three

turbos have been UK and after seven years Ive only ever used the warranty once, however I

still extended my lated one for another two years its a comfort blanket.

Recommend the UK 99 spec prodrived with big brakes and if possible prodrive suspension IMHO

Yes I agree an import is quite a good idea but it is not knowing the cars history that puts me off, and also after researching it further I am not so sure they are so cheap. They are in the way that you are getting a low mileage car (assuming it is genuine that is), but on top of the purchase price I would have to put an alarm immobiliser, tracker (needed for insurance) get the cam belt changed, etc as I would have no idea when it was done. If I get a UK car with a history there is a good chance it should have an alarm/immobiliser and possibly a tracker, and I will know by the history when the cam belt etc was changed. And if I get bored of the speed I can always mod it later I guess. So I think I will stretch myself extremely and get an MY99 wagon with a lowish mileage and pray it gives little grief or else I will need another credit card or a take out some more on my mortgage. Thanks for the advice though much appreciated