Thick Fog...

Still very foggy here in rural Hertfordshire and just finished a delightful pub lunch with my lovely daughter. Coming over here, she was following a car which overtook two others and almost had a head on with an oncoming driver. You guessed it - he had no lights on at all. Incredible. (By the way, my daughter drives a huge X5, but at least respects poor visibility). I've tried to get her interested in a Forester or Outback, but no result so far... Will keep trying.

Wow! Those BMW drivers should be shot..... such awful people!

Although auto headlights should take care of themselves..... ;)

yeah......BMW drivers! enough said!

wouldn't catch me in one of them :whistle: ..........(at least not until the summer and roof down weather :D )

• 2 weeks later...

The problem may indeed come down to the feeling of invincibility of said Chelsea Tractors or maybe the technical limitations of Auto Lighting.

Light meters measure total light. Thus when it gets dark they work. But fog is not dark, is it? The total light in foggy conditions often is more than the trigger for auto lighting. I know for a fact Land Rover Discovery 3 Auto Lights do NOT work in 50m visibility fog. I had a "discussion" with a driver of one up on the Mountain. He was adamant his lights were on, so I asked him to get out of his car to see. His dash was lit, and the lights were indeed on Auto. I've never seen the blood drain from someone's face so quickly when he realised.. I got him to walk away from his Silver car and see....Needless to say when he got in the thing lit up like a Christmas tree before pulling away.. One convert 50,000 more to go on this Island lone.

Please tell all your friends........

Auto Headlights DO NOT WORK IN FOG!